[November 2059] On Her Majesty's Service (Solo: Acme)   Posted by Mr. Johnson.Group: 0
Mr. Johnson
 GM, 14 posts
Sun 19 Jan 2020
at 15:04
Prelude: Acme & Hellfire
Three years ago...

Through ten foot tall overgrowth the dying rays of pink sunlight peek through the pacific rain forest canopy.  The suspension on your beat up Gopher rattles and creaks, threatening to give up with every jarring bump as you pick your way along the old ruins of I-95.  GPS receiver puts you somewhere north of Bellingham on a highway left in neglect in the shadow of the massive grid-link superhighway that sometimes reveals itself through the forest cover.  Even without seeing it, you can hear the high speed autonomous road trains as they pass you by.

The isolation and boredom is mind numbing.  You almost envy the oblivious smartframes piloting those long haul runs.  Focused and unaware, they don't have the capacity to let their mind wander.  Picking your way across the ruined road is a good way to avoid Salish patrols who would put this little smuggling run on ice in very short order, but the time crawls by.

You've been sharing the cab of this pick-up for what feels like an eternity.  Feel free to share a little small talk, find a sat feed you can both agree on, or ignore each other and just enjoy the scenery.

@Hellfire You scrounged together parts to get this old 4x4 road worthy for a long haul smuggling run across the wilds of the pacific northwest.  What vehicle mods would you simply not leave home without?

@Acme There is a fine line between preparedness and paranoia.  Fact of the matter is that active magical work draws the wrong type of attention.  Its a vicious circle.  In your line of work, preparing for trouble raises mystical red flags that are like a flare burning in the night sky that can bring trouble your way.  What foci, fetishes and spirits do you like to have active “just in case”?

Acme
 player, 2 posts
 Coyote Shaman
 Avowed Pain In The Ass
Sun 19 Jan 2020
at 17:32
Prelude: Acme & Hellfire
b-deep.

"What do you fragging mean I lost again?" Acme gruffed.  He poked the screen of his battered poc-sec, the chirping solitaire app mocking him for his inability to put the right cards in the right place.  He huffed and closed the app, tossing the device on the dashboard.   Where he had his legs stretched out in his usual lazy position, it made a little field goal between his feet.  Even after that little amusing thought, Acme tapped his foot on the windshield in irritation, and crossed his arms.   They'd only been what, maybe two hours since sneaking past the Marysville border checkpoint, and he was bored out of his gourd already, especially now that they were past the S-S capital of Bellingham and into the wild area between it and Vancouver.

He knew full well, or suspected anyway, that Hellfire often had him around because he was tribal and made for a good fast-talk to get them through most of the S-S lines.  It helped having a Native for ride-along, as tanned skin made for an easy "I'm just visiting family, really!" excuse on the way north to Vancouver.  It certainly wasn't because of his magical skills, as he usually had spirits do everything for him.  Oh sure, he could tell Hellfire when to duck when someone was about to launch a spell, the sight of when spirits were patrolling super thick, and could even dance into the astral to give him a recon of a building, but he felt that just like back in Redding... he personally was just kinda in the way.

What, with your attitude you think I'm going to teach you how to blow people up?  Get real, Pup.  It would be cute the first time, but Spirit knows I'm nobody to talk about how to safely handle the Gift.

Acme let out a soft raspberry to himself, not caring if HF was used to his reactions to conversations only in his head.  He was a shaman, even in the Way Back Days medicine people were always seen as a bit cracked in the head anyway so he was just perfectly fine living up to the "tradition".

He let the physical world phase out as his eyes attuned to the other side, checking in with the couple of watcher spirits he had floating around.  They were dumb as a rock, but they'd been a pretty good way to check for S-S patrolling spirits, at least when followed with an air spirit to keep them on track.  Air spirits could actually make a few rational thoughts whereas the first time he asked for a watcher to check in, the goofy construct just stared at him like he'd asked for how a Fuchi terminal worked.

So far so good though.  Coming back to the boring confines of the rattling 4x4 he tilted his head to Hellfire and smirked.  "What do you think, still think they've got that fish and chips place in the old Olympic Village?"

Acme wouldn't have anything active to keep from being a beacon, he'd have a couple of patrolling watchers with orders to check out in a one mile radius for any magical threat with an air spirit to keep them focused and check back in every hour or so.  He's also got another couple of watcher spirits on hand to send out as distractions in case they need to direct S-S Rangers to somewhere else. He would re-summon them at sunrise if needed for a long-haul.

This message was last edited by the player at 17:45, Sun 19 Jan 2020.

Hellfire
 player, 2 posts
Sun 19 Jan 2020
at 20:38
Prelude: Acme & Hellfire
The gopher tugged along at speed through the less then ideal terrain. The occasional bumps and jumps caused flare-ups of information in Hellfire’s brain. Gonna hafta remember to look at the passenger torsion rod when I get a chance. He noted. He committed a small portion of his brain power to checking the vehicle's loaded mapsoft, not being a fan of grid guide Hellfire always preferred the old fashioned way of navigation instead of relying on spotty GPS and the like. Less people keeping an eye on him the better in his opinion.  Still on course.

There was a brief tingle in his brain that didn’t come from the gopher. wha?  his meat ears were picking up noise, then he remembered his passenger, Acme had just said something. With that Hellfire sent his consciousness back through a long thin cable that attached the  Gopher’s dash to Hellfire’s head. Once back in meat space Hellfire’s eyes popped open and he deftly flicked the manual control to on, He grabbed the steering wheel and pressed the gas petal to the floor. It wasn’t as smooth a changeover as it could have been in a newer vehicle but he doubted that Acme would have noticed they decreased two miles per hour of speed.

”Huh? Oh yeah, I hope so it was the only edible food in the area.” Hellfire said in response. ”I just checked up on the mapsoft, we are making good time, as long as nuthin’ untoward happens we should be there soon.” He was interrupted by a rather violent bump that sent vehicles shocks squealing. ”sorry ’bout that, not as easy in the meat world ya know? How you holdin’ up?”

OOC:As far as modifications definitely would need the Rigger interface. Electronics port for the mapsoft. Run flat tires? I am still trying to figure out what tech is available in 2059

This message was last edited by the player at 00:31, Mon 20 Jan 2020.

Mr. Johnson
 GM, 16 posts
Sun 19 Jan 2020
at 20:54
Prelude: Acme & Hellfire
I'm not super fussy about number crunching and finding reference material to provide a helpful footnote that support the characters' gear-cyber-spell-program desires.

As a general rule, as long as it makes sense, it exists and characters can have access.  If it's too much, I'll let you know ... or glitch it out ... or let the bad guys sell out to a corp that has access to even better resources.

Besides it can't get out of hand because there are always dragons, blood spirits, AIs and space-based lasers.

Acme
 player, 8 posts
 Coyote Shaman
 Avowed Pain In The Ass
Wed 22 Jan 2020
at 02:02
Prelude: Acme & Hellfire
Acme looked over.  He wasn't surprised about the reaction, in fact he kicked himself a little bit for it.  Of course the rigger would be plugged in, that was his job, wasn't it?  Distracting him would just get them killed.  At least for the moment, when they weren't dodging traffic it would be fine.

"I'm doing fine, if my job is boring then we're having a good run right?" he replies with a wry smirk.  The bump nearly toppled him over from the lazy sitting position but it didn't seem to phase him much.  "We should probably install a mic here in the cab for the future, run your speech through the radio so I'm not pulling you out of your job, neh?"
Hellfire
 player, 4 posts
Wed 22 Jan 2020
at 03:59
Prelude: Acme & Hellfire
"Null perspiration Omae, If it wasn't for Spriggan stickin' me deep in a world of not my problem that wirin' would'o'been done." Hellfire said dejectedly. "The things we do for a pretty face." he muttered under his breath before continuing "Don't fret though chummer I got more then enough processing in the grey matter to run this route. We will be fine"

The Ork Glanced in his rear view, ain't got a tail. that's good He put some more pressure on the pedal and listened clinically to the engine rev up to speed. Don't frag out on me now baby, just a little while longer, please don't die.. he thought. Out loud he said "This little Gopher was a good idea, damn thing is near indestructible, I'm glad you talked me into re-ferbin' the thing." He caught a glimpse of the superhighway through the dense foliage. "Fraggin' corporate drones."
Mr. Johnson
 GM, 21 posts
Thu 23 Jan 2020
at 00:58
Prelude: Acme & Hellfire
A few miles and another dozen bone rattling bumps further down the road you spot the prearranged signals.  First an old rest stop sign hanging upside down from it's signpost.  Then another with a blue smear of spray paint across it.  Finally a third that has been peppered with buckshot.  Its all playing out just like the info on the datachip.

If the contact is good the meet-up will happen another mile down the road.

If the contact is bad, well... at least something will alleviate the boredom...

@Hellfire: With barely a thought you begin flicking through the prearranged AR filters that Spriggan had given you on the datachip.  With the right filters running on the truck's sensor suites you pick up the meet up instructions.  There is a safe path weaving across the highway marked with AR arrows.  No indication what hazards the path avoids, but probably best not to find out the hard way.  You're to meet up ahead at the abandoned gas station, under the canopy, away from the prying eyes of satellites, drones and patrolling aircraft.

@Acme: On cue the beholden air spirit descends upon the pick-up.  Man who walks with Coyote a whisper fills your mind, soft like a summer breeze through a pine grove.  If it was real sound you would have to strain to hear it.  On the road-scar up ahead, the little ones have found another who walks a path like yours.  He knows secret ways.  He hides from us, hides the scar with his spellwork.  He knows the way to weave energy together to bllind us.  To keep us away.  The wind flows through his barrier, but we cannot pass and we cannot see.

The meet up was pre-planned of course, but as you approach the rendezvous there are several unknowns.  How do you make a first impression?
Acme
 player, 13 posts
 Coyote Shaman
 Avowed Pain In The Ass
Thu 23 Jan 2020
at 18:52
Prelude: Acme & Hellfire
Acme grinned.  "Well hey, I may be from Pueblo, but I've had a good look at most of the rest of the NAN.  I think aside from Sioux, most of 'em are still running on the idea that as long as you keep the fancy stuff to the major cities and you're not running a VTOL, you're not smuggling worth their time."

A rustle of his hair makes him bring his perception to the other side.  The air spirit was insistent and hey, that's what he had it for, right?  Listening intently, Acme frowned a bit.  "Hey HF, you don't remember if they said come ready for magic, doya?  I'm picking up wind that up ahead is a shaman who's got some astral barriers up like he's ready for bear.  I can hop out and get a couple of spirits ready to help, but I'll need access to the ground... and hope this place isn't too polluted from that gas station."  He shivered at the thought, he heard from his tutors in the lodge about dealing with toxic spirits...
Hellfire
 player, 6 posts
Fri 24 Jan 2020
at 02:27
Prelude: Acme & Hellfire
The engine downshifted taking on a lower tone as Hellfire eased up on the pedal. The gopher began to coast forward gradually reducing in speed. "Ok, Ok, Ok, Lemme think. Nope she didn't say nothin'bout no finger-wiggler, course that don't mean they ain't the one we are looking for. Well we got no real reason to be worried at the minute. Sure I got my share of enemies but this is a little elaborate to pepper my carcass." Even though their speed was reduced it wouldn't take long for them to reach the mark. Drek I need a drone or two. He thought.

He reached down between the seats to feel for the reassuring presence of his side arm. He pulled the weapon out and looked at it, It was an older model Predator I, it was immaculately kept and cared for. It looked exactly as it had when he placed it there upon setting off on this journey so he was reasonably sure it was functioning. To make certain he activated the on board Smartlink and the weapons stats blossomed to life with an A.R. overlay directly fed to his clockwork cyber-eyes.
Predator I Condition: NORMAL
Aim assist: ACTIVE
Ammo: 15/15
Load:APDS

     

He nodded in acknowledgment of the read out before saying "The voodoo is your department, How you wanna play this? Figure it will go quick one way or the other."

This message was last edited by the player at 02:35, Fri 24 Jan 2020.

Mr. Johnson
 GM, 28 posts
Sat 25 Jan 2020
at 02:56
Prelude: Acme & Hellfire
At the quarter mile mark the AR tags lead you to an older model doberman marked with 'SeaTac Security' in fading paint on the machine's side.  Despite it's age, the twin MGs on top look to be in good working order as it falls in alongside your pickup and escorts you in to the abandoned station.

As you pull in under the station canopy, a GMC Bulldog van rolls up noiselessly.  Wispy grey smoke rolls out when the back doors open and a wild eyed denim clad man climbs out.  As he takes a moment to get his bearings, the doberman rolls off to take up a position a few dozen feet away, thankfully looking outward, turret and optics scanning the off ramp and highway.

Adjusting his jean jacket and picking up a gnarled walking stick decorated with feathers and the skull of a small animal, he beckons you over and welcomes you with a broad, toothless smile.  “Great spot to meet up eh?  Even thier drones and set'lites can't see.  They try to track us, right?  Use blood spirits to keep tabs on us.  You don't got no blood spirits on ya do ya? Acourse ya don't.  Heheh.  Wards'd take care o'them amiright?  Well hell, no time for jawin' come get a looky at this stuff!”

In the back of the van are twenty or so wooden boxes of varying sizes.  Each box appears to be hand crafted, painted or carved with animal images, adorned with beadwork in a style that is perhaps haida or chinook influenced.  Images of turtles feature prominently.

@Acme The boxes radiate power.  Each carries a ward against tampering and astral peeking or poking around.  This is a very common way to package up talismans, foci and fetishes.
Acme
 player, 17 posts
 Coyote Shaman
 Avowed Pain In The Ass
Sat 25 Jan 2020
at 20:29
Prelude: Acme & Hellfire
Acme thought about it.  "Well right now they're just invisible to spirits, and they said there was only one.  I'd think the spirits would have said if there were any other people... but I'll be ready to duck around the place and get a spirit to help if necessary..."
He was about to think further when the drone came out; that would definitely look suspicious if he hopped out now.  So he kept his hands where they could be seen as they were driven up to meet at the gas station.  Hopping out of the car with Hellfire, Acme looked around a bit idly to see who was hiding out when the Bulldog showed up, disgorging what Acme can definitely understand is his counterpart.

He sniffed a bit, one eye lazily looking at the astral while the wild-eyed man went off about this conspiracy or that.  "Do I look Atzlaner to you?" he muttered with the mention of blood magic.  Waving it off a bit he whistled low at the boxes.  The SS would shoot them on the spot for the kind of power he was feeling.  "Feels real.  They fall off a truck or do you got a connection?  Crow?"  Even being in the area only a little bit, he knew that the Cascade Ork were the tribe likely to deal in all flavors of illicit just to make some cash, though the Cascade Crow had their shadows as well, and under the table talislegging was one of those things.  Oh he was tempted...   But this was Hellfire's job.  He had the capital, knew where the boxes would be going.

This message was last edited by the player at 17:24, Sun 26 Jan 2020.

Hellfire
 player, 11 posts
Sun 26 Jan 2020
at 00:27
Prelude: Acme & Hellfire
Hellfire opened the diver's door and stepped out onto the dirty ground. He faced the newcomer and deliberately made a show of tucking his Predator I into the front of his pants, turn of the millennium trid-gangster style. He walked with a forced smile his slight tusks splitting his grin adding a sense of danger when matched with the puckered scars that peppered his face."Sho'daache Kahée" Greetings. He called out in perfect Sioux Crow. "Acme's no blood-mage, that's the chip truth. But on to biz."

He moved with a measured pace to the boxes. He kept himself casual and his hand away from his weapon, so as not to spook anyone. In answer to Acme's question he replied "Less of a truck, more like trailer." He glanced at the denim man and continued "Unless I miss my mark these come from a group of people who are not really happy with the current status quo in the Sioux. Not everyone who lives in the Crow is onboard with how the council treats my people. are they?" The last was obviously a question for the denim dressed man.

This message was last edited by the player at 01:54, Sun 26 Jan 2020.

Mr. Johnson
 GM, 33 posts
Sun 26 Jan 2020
at 20:54
Prelude: Acme & Hellfire
“Well, truth of it is, I try not to ask too many questions and I keep my nose out of politics.” the wild eyed shaman replies flatly, so you're not quite sure if he is issuing a warning or just stating a fact.  “Just wanna make a buck, am I right?” he adds.  “All quality stuff back here, nothing unstable or tainted.  Couple spirits locked away in there, but they know how to behave.  Should be nice easy nuyen for your end.  Just drive the stuff on up into the VanPlex.  Salish scouts and cops pretty much keep to themselves unless they catch you running a t-bird.  Guess they figure you're not smuggling nothing worth their time...”

The way you remember it, the pick-up went off without a hitch.  That shaman talislegger was quite the chatterbox.  He went on and on how he was an independent, an entrepreneur, a business man.  His cover story was paper thin, you both knew right from the moment that Bulldog's backdoor opened you were smuggling contraband talismans up the coast to Tsimshian rebels.  As you loaded the warded boxes under tarp in pick-up bed, the shaman offered a few kind words over a shared pipe of tobacco cut with a nice mellow bud that gives a chill buzz.  The dwarf rigger even popped her head out of the van for a moment to wish you well.  Damned civilized all things considered.

Neither of you have any real strong feelings about the NAN's internal politics this far north.  Smuggling just pays the bills.  Should be a nice easy milk run up into North Van.  All you gotta do is avoid complications with S-S military, Knight Errant, the Koshari, Red Lotus and various and sundry go gangs that stalk the highways around the 'plex.

Nice.  Easy.  Milk run.
Acme
 player, 20 posts
 Coyote Shaman
 Avowed Pain In The Ass
Mon 27 Jan 2020
at 16:36
Prelude: Acme & Hellfire
As the man kept talking, Acme was getting a bit of a pensive look.  He didn't really care about the politics in the area; as far as he had read from being new to the place there was squalling between some of the tribes in S-S, though the border with Tsimshian was getting a bit dicey with that country having just short of a civil war on its hands at most times.

The real problem was more the volatility of the magic stuff they were carrying. If there were a couple of bound spirits in those boxes, he knew full well from experience they could easily be real pissed off on just about anyone if something happened to their bindings.  He muttered to himself as they loaded the stuff up, but kept his own misgivings well and to himself.  He'd need his wits for the drive ahead, as the old shaman had said time and time again how easy things would be; even the puffs that mellowed him out couldn't stifle the fundamental truth that any follower of Coyote would know.  Easy runs are difficult.  He would have to be on his toes.

The revelation of Hellfire's heritage though, that was a nice nugget to chew on.  Of course he kicked himself for thinking Hellfire was a bit light-skinned but in this day and age, there were so truth-telling full-bloods that who could use how bronze ones' skin was to determine trial affinity?  His own tone came from the fact of Hispanic marriage among the Apache to the point where they were lumped into the "other tribes" section of PCC demographics anymore.

After clearing their heads a little, Acme took the time to call a few new watchers and air spirits into the area.  After offering them a few boons from reagents he carried on his person, he directed most of them to do what the others had done before in their trek to Vancouver, but he also had a couple of watchers specifically to alert him if something changed about their cargo.

As they were just about starting on their journey, Acme made sure that Hellfire wasn't lost in the digital haze before starting, "Well I see now why you'd been asking for a tribal to ride shotgun, and here I thought it was my stunning personality and ability to lie to the Salish."
Hellfire
 player, 14 posts
Thu 30 Jan 2020
at 13:25
Prelude: Acme & Hellfire
"Tch, as y'say omae. Whatever greases the wheel works for me." Hellfire replied to the shaman. He pulled hard on a fastened strap to make sure it was tightly secured. Feeling that everything was as well as can be, he looked at his travelling companion. "Well all the hatches are bat'und down and we are wiz to go."


He made his way to the driver's side of the vehicle, the door creaked loudly as it swung open. Damn forgot to oil that hinge. Hellfire removed his Predator from his pants and placed it in easy reach on his seat. He stood between the door and seat as he called out to the contact, "if there ain't nothin'else we best be making tracks."

This message was last edited by the player at 13:26, Thu 30 Jan 2020.

Acme
 player, 21 posts
 Coyote Shaman
 Avowed Pain In The Ass
Thu 30 Jan 2020
at 16:51
Prelude: Acme & Hellfire
Acme chuckled and nodded.  He didn't want to press on things with Hellfire's past; though he was curious, he hadn't brought it up, for good reason.  Not like the shaman was one to talk, he'd only told a few people what a PCC national was doing on the West Coast.  Hell, he didn't even like thinking about it himself.

At the call to head out, he saluted the rigger. "Aye aye, captain."  With that, he doublechecked straps and hopped into the passenger seat.  "Vancouver ho!"  He really hoped that it would be easy tonight, but Coyote always taught that the milk runs were the ones that were the most pain in the ass.
Hellfire
 player, 15 posts
Sat 1 Feb 2020
at 21:07
Prelude: Acme & Hellfire
Hellfire sat hard in his seat. He waited for Acme to get comfortable before putting his foot to the pedal. The engine whined as it accelerated and the shocks were again pushed to their limit as the now fully loaded vehicle slogged along the unkempt ground. To break the monotony Hellfire flicked the switch to a little radio, He kept the volume low so any conversation would not be interrupted. The sound that came out was a cacophony of heavily distorted electric guitar, booming bass guitar. thunderous drumming and a singer who's high pitch seemed to work well with the over all vibe of the song. "Oh ACDC, Wiz. I hope you like oldies chummer."
Mr. Johnson
 GM, 45 posts
Sat 1 Feb 2020
at 21:55
Prelude: Acme & Hellfire
Cargo strapped in, suspension groaning in complaint, your great-grandparents' hard rock tunes blaring on the sat feed, you're back on the road... well, what passes for a road in this part of the wilderness.

@Acme Almost as soon as you are out of the area that the mad shaman had warded, you can feel the volatility of the talisman-bound spirits straining against the mystical restraints woven into the fetishes and foci by whatever talismonger created them.  Your watchers and the air spirit return to you agitated, sensing the unease.

About a mile passes, maybe two, when a lyrical voice sounds in your head accompanied by something like the sound of waves washing up on the shore. I awake ... čačim hihak kʷaa magician ... or do you prefer ya'ateh?  Am I bound to you?  Why? What services require this binding?  I... Tla-o-qui-aht ... Tyee Tin-Wis... teacher and protector.  I am the calm waters carrying a fishing canoe.  I am the gentle current that disturbs not the roe nor the fry.  I have slept long and yearn to be freed.

It has a name. It’s almost never good when they have a name…
Acme
 player, 24 posts
 Coyote Shaman
 Avowed Pain In The Ass
Sun 2 Feb 2020
at 21:37
Prelude: Acme & Hellfire
Acme smirked as he heard the strains of AC/DC on the radio.  It was good to hear that there were still 20th-Century format stations playing music, as he still had a good ear for them to go with the wizzer stuff of nowadays.  He was just settling in to close his eyes and focus on the astral for a bit when the expected troubles began.  He started rubbing his forehead as the spirits call and whine, clearly agitated at being taken from their areas, some forced into talismans..   Who the hell forced spirits into talismans? they were supposed to help put power into them, not BE the power.  He was about to try and tune it all out as most of them were simple spirits of the land when the voice called out pure and clear.

"Ohhhhhh.... drek." he said audibly, enough for Hellfire to hear even over the music.  He popped an eye to the material world while Tyee's voice continued to swirl around him.  "We've got a big problem.  Some moron, maybe Old Man Dipshit back there... They grabbed a big spirit.  Ally spirit or something... You're of the area, I'm guessing, does Tla-o-qui-aht or Tyee Tin-Wis ring any bells?  I mean, there's the stories of Thunder Tyee, but I'm guessing that's different... I hope?"  He chewed on his lip, worry on his face.  He didn't feel right at all selling off a major spirit off, getting dragged into a civil war could really frag with it.  And who knew what it would do to the area it was from?
Hellfire
 player, 17 posts
Wed 5 Feb 2020
at 20:25
Prelude: Acme & Hellfire
Hellfire wracked his brain thinking back to his childhood. He never really did pay attention to his Elders and their stories as they force fed him hundreds of years of history he didn't care about. There was something about the name though, familiar. "Tla-o-qui-aht? Pretty sure that's a band, part of the Salish-Shidhe Council. Tyee means Chief or big Salmon and Tin-wis is calm water or brook or something like that. My Nuu-chah-nulth is a little rusty. Not much use for it lately." He shook his head in frustration.

He drove mechanically as he continued to try to come up with an answer to Acme. After a minute he blurted "Welp, I got no truck with spirits, you're the finger wiggler. What do you recommend? do we ditch and run? How deep is the drek?"

This message was last edited by the player at 20:30, Wed 05 Feb 2020.

Acme
 player, 25 posts
 Coyote Shaman
 Avowed Pain In The Ass
Wed 5 Feb 2020
at 21:57
Prelude: Acme & Hellfire
Acme listened intently.  If this was a desert spirit or something from the PCC he'd be right on it, but unfortunately Hellfire counted as the expert.  But he was providing some snippets of information.  The shaman worked to clear his mind a bit.  "All right, so the other spirits, they'll probably do their duty and fry out when they're used.  That's regrettable but well, that's the thing you get.  So we're fine there.  But this guy has a name.  So he's a big deal." He started to try and remember the specific words the spirit was using.  "What what it sounds like from the name and what he's been saying he might be a big time protector of the water in this area or it mentioned fish.. Maybe it's the spirit or protector of the salmon.  I think... We might have to at least let that one go.  That could mess with the land around here.  Look, I get cash is cash, and tell you what, if you want, you can have my share of what's left." He crossed his arms and sighed.  "This doesn't sit well with me.  It's like someone took Coyote himself and shoved him into a box.  I honestly think the best thing we can do is let Tyee there go back to where they're from.  This is like taking dragon's eggs."
Mr. Johnson
 GM, 66 posts
Thu 6 Feb 2020
at 18:38
Prelude: Acme & Hellfire
Kidnapping a mentor spirit was definitely not spec'd out on the datachip.  When you start to develop a rep for this kind of thing, folks will find a way to make you go further than you ever intended to go.  At the end of that dark path are self-loathing in a prison cell or an unmarked grave and an unmourned death.

It takes time and focus to  unravel the spellwork holding the spirit in place.  The remainder of the bumpy drive is long and silent as Acme frees the spirit.  The ritual magic finally breaks, leaving Acme at his most vulnerable but the spirit dissipates without violence, it's farewell His-shuk-nish-tsa-waak trickling through Acme's mind like water over river stones

Acme – to complete chargen, your last spirit could be a Water Teacher ... (teacher, aspect, harm -2, search 2, guard 0, enthrall 1, mentor 2, dmg: 2, armor 2, wounds 7) ... this leaves you without an urban spirit or a destroyer spirit at your beck and call, but correcting this would give you a good short term character goal as Acme embarks on his journey in the BayPlex shadows.  What do you think?

By the end of the drive to Vancouver, Hellfire is bored to tears and Acme is exhausted.  Fortunately you've managed to avoid any police and security related complications and make it to the the meet up in the barrens.   The layout and reception is far less elaborate, just a couple of razorboys lingering in the foothills near Cypress mountain.  Any mage or shaman worth his salt would immediately notice that the shaman's staff that once held Tyee Tin-Wis is now nothing more than a carved stick with bits of feather lashed to it.  Fortunately, none of these guys has an ounce of magical juice, no one even bothers to check the cargo.

When you look back on this run, you can't help but shake your head.  It would have all worked out smoothly if any of these knuckleheads had brought a vehicle with cargo space.  They're riding on a couple of Pinto trikes and a beat up old Red Ranger ACV that look like they've seen some hard times down in the contaminated zones and narrowly escaped.  One thing is for sure, there ain't no cargo space.

After a couple of calls and some hushed words between the razors, they explain that the elders now want you to bring the load all the way to Prince Rupert... for double the payment...
Mr. Johnson
 GM, 67 posts
Thu 6 Feb 2020
at 18:49
Prelude: Acme & Hellfire
@Acme - another option: Tyee Tin-Wis becomes a contact and you are free to choose that last spirit type.

Spirit: Sky, Storm, Swamp, Plain, Desert, Forest, Mountain, Urban
with
Nature: Destroyer, Teacher, Watcher, Seducer, Protector

Acme
 player, 26 posts
 Coyote Shaman
 Avowed Pain In The Ass
Thu 6 Feb 2020
at 19:08
Prelude: Acme & Hellfire
It was long, tiring, and he hoped that Grendel wouldn't be too mad at him as he started to work on loosening the bindings while they drove on.  He was exhausted by the time they rolled into Van, having burned through much of the reagents he had on him and almost all their food.  The bindings were tricky, though at least Tin-Wis seemed to get the idea that even being from a different tribe and follower of the Trickster, Acme was good on his word.

There was a nag on the back of his mind that they'd be found out, but he figured that a few sweet words and slick talk would have to suffice... until the razors just sort of shrugged and checked in.  Acme wondered just where the hell they were supposed to drop off the supplies, as a couple of bikes sure as hell weren't going to cover the amount they'd been storing.  He was just about to mutter something when the razor said something that made him wince.

"Hey, the elders transport fell through.  Since you've got the goods already, they're willing to pay double to get it all the way to Prince Rupert."

Acme idly dialed his poc sec- it got enough reception this close to Vancouver as something crunched on him.  First was the mention of Elders, and that made him chew his lip a bit.  If they were elders, maybe they were looking to release Tin-Wis themselves?  So that meant they'd be happy right?  He wearily chuckled a bit.  But as he looked up Prince Rupert.... he winced.

"Ah fragging Coyote's tail on fire!  You're wanting us to go into Tsimshian?!  That fragging nuthouse doesn't even like other tribals!  And it's an entire day!"  He groaned, rubbing his forehead.

The razor rolled his eyes and scoffed.  "Not my prob, I'm just the messenger."

Acme looked to Grendel.  "We're gonna have to stop for supplies, and see if our armor is up to date because I'm pretty damn sure we're gonna have to go off-road.  They're sure as hell not going to let us just wave past the border checkpoint like we've got a case of watermelons here.   I'm thinking if we do this, we ask for triple minimum."
Mr. Johnson
 GM, 68 posts
Thu 6 Feb 2020
at 19:20
Prelude: Acme & Hellfire
in the late 2050s Tsimshian is still part of SSC, at least officially... unofficially of course, Acme’s concerns about ‘border patrols’ are valid... the ‘patrols’ are a local initiative, like any right minded patriot might have to protect their holdings from overzealous guvment officials snooping around too much...
Acme
 player, 27 posts
 Coyote Shaman
 Avowed Pain In The Ass
Thu 6 Feb 2020
at 19:24
Prelude: Acme & Hellfire
Yup yup, the Sovereign Tribal Council didn't have S-S turn it into a "Protectorate" till 2065, though for now it's just in civil war instead of the border clash with S-S that happens in the turn of the 60s.
Hellfire
 player, 18 posts
Mon 10 Feb 2020
at 17:52
Prelude: Acme & Hellfire
"Yeah this drek stinks 'ard. I took this job at mates rates as it is, now your asking me to take the chance this goes sideways? Triple barely gets me thinkin'bout it." Pulling a small silver case from his pocket he deftly flicks it open to reveal several small paper tubes filled with a collection of assorted plant matter. He pulls out one of the tubes and sticks it in his mouth buying a minute to think.

"I am more inclined to'take whats owed and split." He mumbles around the tube. He fishes around in his pants pocket to reveal an antique liquid fuel lighter. The small silver lighter has the word ZIPPO embossed across the top. With one hand he flicks the lighter open at the hinge and strikes the flint causing a burst of flame. Puffing quickly Hellfire pulls in a breath. When he exhales a large cloud of smoke blossoms forth and a hint of clove permeates the area. He looks over at Acme. "What say you omae?"

This message was last edited by the player at 17:52, Mon 10 Feb 2020.

Acme
 player, 28 posts
 Coyote Shaman
 Avowed Pain In The Ass
Mon 10 Feb 2020
at 18:06
Prelude: Acme & Hellfire
Acme nodded as Hellfire mulled over the options.  He was the rigger, it was really up to him anyway, not like the shaman could conjure up a ride.  But the fact they seemed to be on the level of how hip-deep in drek the situation was definitely heartened his attitude.  He took a sniff of the clove-herb mixture floating in the air from the ork's puffing and nodded.  "I'm with you.  This whole job had milk run written over it and I'm ready to just cash chips.  It sounds like these guys wouldn't know what was magical anyway so our little... jail break lets say... probably won't bite us.."

He smirked and then hopped out of the truck, whistling sharply for the bikers.  "Hey guys- it's been real fun but we're already on the hook for something else, so we can't take the time.  Tell you what, we'll be at least good sports and help you unload as soon as you make sure we get our pay, entiéndeme?"

This message was last edited by the player at 18:15, Mon 10 Feb 2020.

Mr. Johnson
 GM, 72 posts
Tue 11 Feb 2020
at 00:44
Prelude: Acme & Hellfire
So's I clear, you're telling them to pay up before you proceed with  dumping the cargo on the ground and leaving?
Acme
 player, 29 posts
 Coyote Shaman
 Avowed Pain In The Ass
Tue 11 Feb 2020
at 02:26
Prelude: Acme & Hellfire
Yes, not necessarily dumping if they have somewhere they want to store it while they get somewhere to house them.
Mr. Johnson
 GM, 74 posts
Wed 12 Feb 2020
at 01:44
Prelude: Acme & Hellfire
"Woah now, let's not do anything hasty." the lead razorboy replies, spreading his hands in a conciliatory manner.  "Everyone wants to make a few nuyen off this deal, no need to make it harder on anyone, amiright?"

Before the razorboy can get on his PocSec and chat up the elders, the flash of red and blue lights illuminates the scene. A pair of Lone Star HTR officers (peer +) pile out of a patrol car while a Citymaster rounds the bend.

The lead officer brings up his evil looking HK 227 an pops a flashbang grenade off from the under barrel grenade launcher.

Threat move Breach, bang and clear

Stay Frosty

20:21, Today: Mr. Johnson, on behalf of Hellfire, rolled 8 using 2d6+1. Weak Success
20:21, Today: Mr. Johnson, on behalf of Acme, rolled 5 using 2d6+1 ((3,1)). Miss Watcher Spirit = boosted Weak Success


Your both caught slightly flat footed, but a whispered warning from Acme's watcher spirit helps prevent the cops from catching you completely by surprise.  The razors aren't so lucky and are caught like deer in the headlights.  You've got a half second before all hell breaks loose, but a half second is better than nothing...

Stay Frosty Weak Success = a hard bargain
You can take a shot at the HRT team before the Citymaster is in position, but... that thing has an LMG mounted in the turret and shooting first is going to piss off the back-up.

You can make a break for the Gopher and try to escape with the cargo, but... the HRT Patrol One is blocking your best escape route.

You can jack the razorboys' Red Ranger and hightail it away from the cops toward the wilds of Cypress Mountain, but... no cargo, no chance of salvaging a pay day.

Hellfire
 player, 19 posts
Wed 12 Feb 2020
at 18:14
Prelude: Acme & Hellfire
"FRAG! We gotta bolt." Hellfire cried as he puts action to his words. He charged over to the gopher hoping Acme was on his heels. He jumped inside the cab and grabbed his head wire, plugging the system into his datajack that linked to his vehicle control rig. He sent a mental command through the wire to start the truck. The engine kicked into life with a roar. Simultaneously he called out to Acme "I hope they focus on the Razors to by us time. We won't be able to out run them. If you got any tricks now's the time."
Mr. Johnson
 GM, 82 posts
Thu 13 Feb 2020
at 01:23
Prelude: Acme & Hellfire
Assuming Acme follows Hellfire's lead and retreats to the passenger seat of the Gopher, Acme has time to command a spirit while on the run.  I believe you have both the Watcher and the Protector summoned.

As always, I take my cues for mechanics from the narrative you provide.  The following spirit moves are merely a guide to understand some things Acme knows a spirit can be asked to do or actions these spirits can be trusted to capably perform.

Spirit moves are:
Harm (attack an enemy)
Search (locate a person or thing)
Guard (defend an ally)
Enthrall (control someone's actions or thoughts)
Mentor (impart knowledge)

Acme
 player, 31 posts
 Coyote Shaman
 Avowed Pain In The Ass
Thu 13 Feb 2020
at 06:02
Prelude: Acme & Hellfire
"Dammit dammit dammit dammit dammit..." he growled out, flipping off the razors.  They were in deep drek and they needed to bail.  As the seconds ticked he jumped into the passenger seat.  It was right here he wished he could actually sling spells.  Reaching into the astral he contacted the air spirit; he was sure that they still owed him a service or two for the night as he ran though the options.  That, and the watchers would be idiots anyway.   He snapped his fingers.

I humbly ask you to provide a thick blanket of fog for us to get away, our lives are in danger.  If you have any other services to render I'd also like you to have those that have showed up to do us harm to focus on the other men full of metal that we were talking to.  He waited for the fog to hopefully start rolling in before pointing to the woods.  "FLOOR IT!"
Mr. Johnson
 GM, 86 posts
Fri 14 Feb 2020
at 03:13
Prelude: Acme & Hellfire
Acme falls into the cab of the pickup, backlit by flashes of lighting as the storm spirit manifests itself in the physical plane.  "Oh drek," someone yells, obscured by the growing fog that rolls in from the foothills of the nearby mountain.

Behind their tactical helmets, it's impossible to tell whether or not the cops are caught off guard but a short burst of SMG fire in the general direction of the spirit follows as the Gopher's engine surges to life and you lose sight of both the cops and the patrol car in the dense fog.


Spirit Move: Guard
22:05, Today: Mr. Johnson, for the NPC Storm Protector, rolled 12 using 2d6+2 ((5,5)) Strong Success

Threat Move: Deal Damage (4 +1 Burst Fire /2 Insubstantial, round up)

Results
Storm Protector [X] [X] [X] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] 1 Service, Enthrall, pending
Hellfire [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ]
Acme [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ]
Fight or flight

Mr. Johnson
 GM, 98 posts
Sat 15 Feb 2020
at 23:22
Prelude: Acme & Hellfire
@Hellfire I think I misfired a bit on the Hellfire-Acme prelude because I didn’t get a good feel for how Hellfire will play as a drone rigger and member of a team.  Do you see him as a:

Rigger-Fighter (in the fight using the drone like a D&D Ranger might use their companion)

Overwatch Rigger (sitting in the van with drones out to keep the team safe and to bring in the artillery if things go south)

Tech support (with a mix of medical, crafting, computer and/or security skills to be an all around support guy)

Something else?

Hellfire
 player, 20 posts
Sun 16 Feb 2020
at 01:00
Prelude: Acme & Hellfire
So how I have mostly played him in the past is a mix of over watch and supporting fighter. He tends to play things safe when on recon but doesn't sit in the van when the drek hits the fan. The nature of the shadowrun rules made it easy for me to set stats that allowed me to be effective while driving, swarming drones and shooting a gun. I am not a match for a sammie or adept in a brawl but I can hold my own against gangers and such.I have an old 5e first draft sheet of him that kind of shows what his stable of drones/vehicles looks like to give you an idea of what I was going for with him. Just ignore name and things he evolved over time https://drive.google.com/open?...8lWLGMWM3Qkdaa0RsME0
Mr. Johnson
 GM, 99 posts
Sun 16 Feb 2020
at 01:55
Prelude: Acme & Hellfire
Got it. In Sixth World you can be pretty solid in a scrap with just the Core Skills.  The knowledge based tech and security skills you have listed on the 5e version of Hellfire would be buffed by your Professional archetype move so that works too.

When you advance you can cherry pick Sammie and Decker moves to add buffs to fighter skills or tech skills.  I’ll drop the Rigger archetype moves into your PocSec so you can see them... they are all drone heavy.

The drone you start with seems like a good fit for you (looks a lot like Patsy on your 5e sheet).  Micro and mini drones are common/cheap enough that you can pick some up with very little legwork.  Same goes for the MCT Seven series you seemed to like (for cheap disposable swarms I’m guessing). If you want to add a combat capable crawler drone I’d be willing to swap a Doberman for the VW and I’ll let you keep the POS Gopher from the prelude.

edit: Doberman, not Dalmatian...

This message was last edited by the GM at 02:53, Sun 16 Feb 2020.

Hellfire
 player, 21 posts
Sun 16 Feb 2020
at 05:59
Prelude: Acme & Hellfire
I am actually very happy with the sheet the way you spec'ed it. The vehicle you gave me will be good to transport the team on the daily and give us a little kick if we need to bug out.

I love me my Roto drones. They are my hands down fav so that is solid. When we get to mission planning I will want to pick up my micro/mini flying drones for recon. Whatever is available is good for me. Other then that I think I am golden.

Acme
 player, 33 posts
 Coyote Shaman
 Avowed Pain In The Ass
Sun 16 Feb 2020
at 19:14
Prelude: Acme & Hellfire
Acme looked out the window as the Gopher started to rattle to life.  The fog was good, it was doing its job, and it seemed to rattle the local gendarme enough that they were firing at the spirit.  He smirked wryly; oh sure, fire at the spirit, what a plan.  It'll just... go back to its home plane.  He double-checked to see if there was any mojo being flung by one of the Star, but in his experience in Seattle at least they only brought out the slingers in case of heavy threat and harassing smugglers seemed more like usual baton to back of the head kind of situation.  He did know he'd have slightly annoyed air spirits to contend with for a while...  But still, he had to stay alert, as they'd only just barely started scraping out of there.
Mr. Johnson
 GM, 103 posts
Sun 16 Feb 2020
at 21:14
Prelude: Acme & Hellfire
@Hellfire Closing your eyes, you ease the throttle open, pumping gasoline into the fiery heart of the Gopher.  Kicking up gravel and dust the truck lurches forward into the thick fog...

Stay Frosty 2D6+Craft
15:35, Today: Mr. Johnson, on behalf of Hellfire, rolled 4 (1,2) using 2d6+1.  Stay Frosty.
Miss
Take 1XP, Mark off 1 Fuel


...and that fragged torsion bar finally gives up.  The truck's body slumps into the front passenger wheel and it drags in place, slowing you down but not stopping you.  It won't last long, and the whole assembly will need to be replaced, but at least it didn't give way at speed on the highway.

@Acme keeping your head on a swivel, watching for threats and feeling out into the fog for spellwork or spirits...

Check the Situation 2D6+Awareness
15:46, Today: Mr. Johnson, on behalf of Acme, rolled 3 (1,1) using 2d6+1.  Stay Frosty.
Miss
Take 1XP
Snake eyes... something bad happens...


...and wouldn't you know it, there is a wage mage (peer) riding along in the back of that Citymaster (nemesis).

@Storm Protector flashing lightning ... growing rage ... it must be as the magician commands ... the harm men must believe the tainted meat things are dangerous ...

Enthrall
15:58, Today: Mr. Johnson, for the NPC Storm Protector, rolled 11 (6,6) using 2d6-1.  Enthrall.
Strong Success
Box Cars something good happens...


...out of the mist come half a dozen razorboys, riding their trikes, LMGs blazing.  Acme can feel the spirit weaving together the illusion, putting the image into the minds of the HTR officers who immediately hunker down behind the patrol car and fire bursts of ineffective SMG fire into their imaginary foes.

Inside the Citymaster, the wage mage's attention is drawn by the power of the spirit's illusion.  Acme feels the beginnings of a spell forming.

Result:
(1) You're past the HTR team, unscathed.
(2) Acme's last spirit has dissipated, but...
(3) ...its powerful ilusion has distracted the wage mage.
(4) The Citymaster is closing the distance.
(5) The wage mage sitting in the back is spooling up something nasty.
Hellfire [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ]
Acme [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ]
Gopher [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ]
Citymaster [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ]
Wage Mage (?)
Flight continues

This message was last edited by the GM at 21:16, Sun 16 Feb 2020.

Hellfire
 player, 23 posts
Mon 17 Feb 2020
at 19:53
Prelude: Acme & Hellfire
"FRAG IT!" The Ork screamed as his brain lit up with big old warnings. The sensation felt like little ants all biting into his mind sending pseudo pain firing through his grey matter. "We lost the passenger front wheel. We can keep limping along but no promises to how long." He pulled his mind back into meat space and the ants subsided becoming a flashing red icon on his cyber-eye enhanced vision. He grabbed the wheel keeping his foot firmly routed on the accelerator.

He looked over at his companion. "Won't take'em long to catch us either way. Lookin'like we might have to fight this one out. You got any suggestions omae? preferably something that will pop a wall in front of'em."
Acme
 player, 36 posts
 Coyote Shaman
 Avowed Pain In The Ass
Wed 19 Feb 2020
at 06:07
Prelude: Acme & Hellfire
"Dammit dammit dammit..."  Acme muttered, having stuck his head out to watch behind them.  "Well the good news is that their mage is about to be busy with an illusion... But once he dispells that they'll probably catch up.  Uh.. Do you think it'd be too big of a problem to bail on the Gopher?  I mean I'm kinda short on ideas at least till I can whistle my spirits back up but that'll take a bit of time.  I mean, I guess we could run into Vancouver and then double back once we boost a ride?"  He was thinking aloud, mind grinding to try and see what they could do.  The Gopher was toast, they'd need a garage and here on the outskirts of the outskirts they were short on luck.
Mr. Johnson
 GM, 113 posts
Thu 20 Feb 2020
at 21:58
Prelude: Acme & Hellfire
@Acme: any objections to summoning another protector or a destroyer so we can do a couple post working through the summoning mechanics?
Acme
 player, 37 posts
 Coyote Shaman
 Avowed Pain In The Ass
Fri 21 Feb 2020
at 01:32
Prelude: Acme & Hellfire
No objections here, he's just figuring he needs to concentrate and have a bit of an open space for that rather than the cramped surroundings of the car, but if you're using GM fiat, hey knock yourself out. :D
Hellfire
 player, 24 posts
Fri 21 Feb 2020
at 02:31
Prelude: Acme & Hellfire
Not going to lie things are looking pretty bleak at the moment. Aside from driving I am pretty much out of options as a rigger unless you want me to start doing some stunts. I can always pull a U and smash into the city master but I feel like that would result in a net loss. I have a pistol and a broken gopher so I am pretty much tapped. I promise I will be more useful later :) Actually thinking about it I don't actually mind smashing into the city master to cause a distraction that will "hopefully" give Acme the time to summon a spirit and bail us out. @ST can the gopher be controlled remotely?

This message had punctuation tweaked by the player at 02:31, Fri 21 Feb 2020.

Mr. Johnson
 GM, 115 posts
Fri 21 Feb 2020
at 03:06
Prelude: Acme & Hellfire
I love your suicide run idea, but not to worry... you’re only 2-3 posts away from finishing the prelude... spoiler alert, you get away with the pay day
Mr. Johnson
 GM, 116 posts
Fri 21 Feb 2020
at 03:18
Prelude: Acme & Hellfire
@Hellfire: Despite the sting of the biofeedback and the broken tie rod, the Gopher lurches forward unsteadily...

Stay Frosty
21:12 Today Mr. Johnson, on behalf of Hellfire, rolled 10 using 2D6+1 ((5,4))
Strong Success


Even with the injured front wheel, the Gopher is much more agile then the Citymaster and you are beginning to pull away.  The bus like assault vehicle struggles to get turned around on the narrow dirt road, but the turret easily tracks your pickup.  A burst of MG fires goes wide, stitching bullets across the ground behind you.  In another moment and you'll be able to make the turn off the dirt road onto the highway but the gunner will get a second chance with that MG.

@Acme: You sing a song that Coyote taught your ancestors many generations ago, your voice barely audible over the gunfire, calls out to the protector of your people who rides the lightning.  Working your magic quickly, you risk draining your energy, but you need the spirit's services now...

When you summon, I'll need the following (either IC or OOC works for me):
Summon: invest 1 Essence to summon a storm protector that will do one service.

Type of spirit You choose the storm protector because you are under an open sky and too far from the city for an urban destroyer to materialize quickly...
Spirit power You spend 1 Essence, reasoning that summoning a lesser spirit can be done more rapidly... You could have invested more Essence in the magic to add to the spirit's powers, but this takes time... (this is more about narrative then mechanics)
Spirit Services You can spend additional Essence to gain additional services  By investing only 1 Essence in the summoning, you settle for a spirit that will only provide one service, but you really only need it to attack the mage and buy you enough time to get away... (again the is just for the narrative, ultimately you could have used 6 Essence to summon a monstrous storm protector, the mechanics are all the same)

Conjure
Summon protector spirit: 2D6+Stamina
21:52 Today Mr. Johnson, on behalf of Acme, rolled 8 using 2D6+1 ((3,4))
Weak Success storm protector arrives, take 1 stun


Coyote's magic flows through you and the spirit of storm and sky answers your call.

Behind you, in the pitched battle between the HTR and the illusions, a being of pure flame appears, so bright it stings your eyes to look at it's searing yellow core.  The mage has summoned a fire elemental (peer).

Results
(1) The Citymaster is falling behind having a tough time manoeuvring on the narrow dirt road...
(2) ...but that MG turret is tracking the fleeing Gopher.
(3) The elemental is out of position (for now).
(4) The spirit protector is ready to do Acme's bidding.

Hellfire [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ]
Acme [/] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ]
Storm Protector [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ]
Fire Elemental [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ]
Mage (?)
Gopher [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ]
Citymaster [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ]

Mr. Johnson
 GM, 118 posts
Sun 23 Feb 2020
at 19:18
Prelude: Acme & Hellfire
Feel free to post your escape and/or what you’ve been up to since this run ended. I’m assuming you have kept in touch and worked together from time to time... maybe even have a bit of local street cred as a runner team.

Both of you take +1 Rep. Meet me in the OOC XP & Nuyen thread to advance.

Move to Mayhem and Mistletoe and feel free to post up where you are and what you are doing in the BayPlex.

This message was last edited by the GM at 19:18, Sun 23 Feb 2020.

Acme
 player, 41 posts
 Coyote Shaman
 Avowed Pain In The Ass
Wed 26 Feb 2020
at 05:53
Prelude: Acme & Hellfire
Coyote's luck seemed to hold itself pretty well again, but that was what he was good at after all, wasn't it?  The spirit he'd been able to summon up had kept the Gopher free from interference, defending them from the Lone Star mage's spells and letting them limp off to the nearest smuggler's bolthole, taking time for repair and refuel.  They'd gotten out at the skin of their teeth with little money to show for it, as Acme was still a little too new to Seattle to have many talismonger contacts- they took a bath on return.

The next couple years were a bit of a blur, as the two worked together off and on, even when Acme was recalled back to Mt. Shasta.  His reports about saving the tribal spirit and keeping in contact with it seemed to give him quite a leg up among the shamans there, and now he was often going back and forth up and down the I-5 corridor between Seattle and Redding, even dipping into southern Tir operations due to his elven heritage.

Through it all he was still the usual pain in the ass he always was, doing his best to keep in contact with Hellfire especially once the rigger started operations in the Bay Area.

He'd been in the Bay for a few months himself, starting to settle down a few contacts as the Shamans had started to need jobs going around the Bay with Sato and the corps stepping up their operations in San Francisco, starting to build contacts in the whole area especially since his tribal and elven status made him stick out too much for the Japanese...
Mr. Johnson
 GM, 124 posts
Wed 26 Feb 2020
at 12:53
Prelude: Acme & Hellfire
@Acme: do you carry a gun or a melee weapon (or both)?  It never came up in prelude.
Acme
 player, 42 posts
 Coyote Shaman
 Avowed Pain In The Ass
Wed 26 Feb 2020
at 16:33
Prelude: Acme & Hellfire
Acme carries a Predator for now and a staff.
Mr. Johnson
 GM, 125 posts
Thu 27 Feb 2020
at 02:04
Prelude: Acme & Hellfire
a staff is an awkward affectation... anything special about it?
Acme
 player, 45 posts
 Coyote Shaman
 Avowed Pain In The Ass
Thu 27 Feb 2020
at 02:15
Prelude: Acme & Hellfire
In reply to Mr. Johnson (msg # 53):

Personal preference and it turns into a weapon focus with reach fairly easily.  In 5th edition they're basically better than most melee weapons save for a katana due to no AP.
Mr. Johnson
 GM, 126 posts
Thu 27 Feb 2020
at 02:59
Prelude: Acme & Hellfire
OK... for now it’s a stick, but we can certainly make it a focus as we play things out...
Mr. Johnson
 GM, 476 posts
Thu 27 Jan 2022
at 02:53
[November 2059] On Her Majesty's Service
@Acme you are here. A solo thread in case your group thread slows down and you still feel the urge for RP!

On your PocSec... when was the last time you checked your messages? How do people spend so much time on these things anyway?

:: LTG# 670 (98-1489) :: {Ilena}
We should speak.
>>>This message includes a screen capture from a recent discussion on an underground news feed

Shadowlands // BayPlex:
>>>>>Anyone heard from the Sisters of Ariadne in Marin City? No one is answering my calls<<<<<
- posted by Punk_Pagan

>>>>>It's not you, its them?<<<<<
- posted by Greasy

>>>>>Helpful... Serious responses only, or I'll look for you, and you won't like if I find you.<<<<<
- posted by Punk_Pagan

>>>>>Rumor has it that that cabal got into something a little too powerful<<<<
- posted by Carli

>>>>>That doesn't scan, the sisters don't quest for power.  More likely they ran up against something they couldn't handle. There was something about them trying to drive the pollution out of the old Mare Island Shipyard awhile back<<<<<
- posted by StreetKnowledge

>>>>>Nah, I heard they were snooping around the old Six Flags in Vallejo, locals stay out of that place, they say the old park is teeming with undead<<<<
- posted by Arcainine

>>>>>Toxic spirits? Shedim? Horrors?<<<<<
- posted by Punk_Pagan

>>>>>Abominations, all. An affront to nature<<<<<
- posted by Orange Queen

Acme
 player, 68 posts
 Coyote Shaman
 Avowed Pain In The Ass
Thu 27 Jan 2022
at 02:53
[November 2059] On Her Majesty's Service
Oh Geez! The shaman thought. I hate this blasted technology! He read the message from Ilena and frowned. He considered exactly what was implied in the message. He could envision his entire future from this moment forward and it worried him. he took and deep calming breath before he formulated a response. With a deep sigh he hit send.

:: LTG# 999 (102-5478) :: {Acme}
I am here for you. As always.
Mr. Johnson
 GM, 483 posts
Thu 27 Jan 2022
at 03:33
[November 2059] On Her Majesty's Service
The reply comes back right away.

:: LTG# 670 (98-1489) :: {Ilena}
I am in the grotto. Can you come now?

The grotto, on Mount Shasta, 270 miles away from Berkley... only one way to get there that fast... the astral plane
Acme
 player, 69 posts
 Coyote Shaman
 Avowed Pain In The Ass
Sun 30 Jan 2022
at 01:15
Prelude: Acme & Hellfire
:: LTG# 999 (102-5478) :: {Acme}
Coyote comes.


Acme used his Pocsec to send his last message. He shook his head and let out a sigh. "What do you have in store for me this time you wily trickster?" Acme called out to the air. He walked over to his little refrigeration unit and retrieved a bottle of Purewater(TM) [Now with 10% unrecycled water] and took a drink before heading over to make sure his front door was locked.

Seeing no reason to continue procrastinating Acme laid down on his couch. For a little added effect he lit a small incense stick and settled himself back into a comfortable position. He closed his eyes and breathed in using a routine meditation technique. when he open his eyes he was in the astral.

He glanced around the room one last time to ensure that nothing was amiss. His body looked as if it were sleeping peacefully on the couch. Seeing nothing too worrisome he began his trek to Mount Shasta. Moving with thought and will to guide him.
Mr. Johnson
 GM, 525 posts
Sun 30 Jan 2022
at 13:43
Prelude: Acme & Hellfire
Stepping into the ethereal world, you find the reflection of your small abode lit only by the glow of your aura and that of a Spirit of Hearth, the soul of your home.  It takes the form of a gnomish little fellow wearing California board shorts and t-shirt, who always seems busy with something suspicious. The Hearth spirits of the old Berkeley campus are Puckish little pranksters, mostly harmless with their frat-boy antics. The little sprite is probably sending your missing keys to the metaplane of socks lost in the laundry.

Nothing amiss then...

Out, through the gossamer reflections of the building’s dead walls and ceiling and into the pale pink sky. Heading north at blinding speed it’s only a moment before you can see the glow of Shasta and the electric blue mana crackling over wards to keep trespassers out.
Acme
 player, 72 posts
 Coyote Shaman
 Avowed Pain In The Ass
Sun 6 Feb 2022
at 03:41
Prelude: Acme & Hellfire
Acme willed himself close enough to the wards to examine them without triggering the effect. That is, unless the effect is triggered simply by examining them. It is something the Shaman would have done himself if he were the one laying the wards. Oh well there is nothing to be done about it now. He thought.

Using his astral perception he carefully examined the wards. Looking for a flaw in the mana. Some small exploit he could harness to diminish the flow long enough for him to enter. He didn't want to permanently destroy the wards that would leave the place without defenses. No a temporary hole was on his mind.
Mr. Johnson
 GM, 584 posts
Sun 6 Feb 2022
at 21:15
Prelude: Acme & Hellfire
Ahh, yes, the wards. Those who live and work on Mount Shasta keep themselves protected behind an always shifting array of wards and barriers. As you study the flow of mana into the wards...

Check the Situation
14:05, Today: Mr. Johnson, on behalf of Acme, rolled 8 using 2d6+1 ((4,3)).
Weak success


...you find a flicker of instability...

...but...

...the flow of mana is disrupted by a Weaver spirit, a spider-like entity about the size of a tiger. She has woven her web over the flow of mana coming from a small astral rift. These helpful spirits bring order to the chaos around these kind of rifts, restricting the mana flow, making the surrounding area stable. No telling what would happen if you tried to remove the Weaver's work. Besides, they are considered somewhat self-aware by most magicians and are usually peaceful spirits, unless riled by something disturbing their web.

Remove the web?
Destroy the Weaver?
See if you can communicate with it?
Something else?

Acme
 player, 74 posts
 Coyote Shaman
 Avowed Pain In The Ass
Tue 8 Feb 2022
at 03:22
Prelude: Acme & Hellfire
Acme's respect for spirits made him consider alternatives to out right attacking it. He wracked his brain trying to remember everything he could about this particular brand of spirit. He was hoping to see if he could jog his memory to come up with some advantage. Not really coming up with a solid plan Acme decided to wing it.

"Hey Little guy. How's it going. If you can understand me, I have been asked to see a friend on the other side of these here wards of yours. What say you do us a favor and let an ol'elf through eh?"
Mr. Johnson
 GM, 593 posts
Tue 8 Feb 2022
at 05:50
On Her Majesty’s Service (Solo: Acme)
The spirit’s bright aura burns in purple and pink flame against black chitin. She continues to weave gossamer strands, knitting intricate patterns as she absorbs the mana pouring through the rift.

Click click-cli-cli-click cli-cli-cli-click she seems to reply.  If nothing else, you are confident that she knows you are speaking to her, but you do not share the same language as this alien dweller of the etheric plane. Still there is a sign of intelligence here.  You wrack your brain, trying to remember…

Stay Frosty
22: 40, Today: Mr. Johnson, on behalf of Acme, rolled 4 using 2d6+1.  Stay Frosty
Fail Take 1XP.


…but the memory is fleeting and you can’t find the knowledge within yourself.

Leaning on your staff, you ponder. You are confident it can communicate, but left to wonder how to make it understand without talking to it.
Acme
 player, 77 posts
 Coyote Shaman
 Avowed Pain In The Ass
Tue 15 Feb 2022
at 04:22
On Her Majesty’s Service (Solo: Acme)
After thinking for a moment, Acme gets an idea.  Using his will to move the dust of the astral plane, he draws a pattern of lines on the sandy astral ground, between him and the spider.  A pattern of lines that forms a web like a dreamcatcher, covering a circular space but leaving a hole at one edge.
Mr. Johnson
 GM, 644 posts
Tue 15 Feb 2022
at 18:10
On Her Majesty’s Service (Solo: Acme)
Cli-click click-cli-cli the spirit continues chattering amicably.  As you draw web like patterns in the etheric dust, she begins to descend from her web and watches intently.  Seeing the gap left in the pattern, the spirit raises a clawed foreleg and scrapes the missing strands of the pattern into being.

Click click she says, looking up at you with alien grey eyes.

Looks like you’re onto something…
Acme
 player, 78 posts
 Coyote Shaman
 Avowed Pain In The Ass
Wed 16 Feb 2022
at 08:33
On Her Majesty’s Service (Solo: Acme)
Acme decides to get more complicated.  He draws a little stick figure of a person, and one of a spider.  He points at the picture, and when the spirit looks at it, he manipulates the images so the spider changes the web back to the configuration with a hole in it, the little stick figure man runs and jumps through, then the spider closes up the web again.  He makes the little man walk away.  Then he has the figure come back to the circle, and wave, and the little spider reopens the hole in the web, the little man crawls through, and then the spider shuts it again.
Mr. Johnson
 GM, 658 posts
Thu 17 Feb 2022
at 03:19
On Her Majesty’s Service (Solo: Acme)
The weaver spirit sits for a long moment, watching your drawings dance in the dust. She chatters away as the stick figure man leaps through the web, then settles down again once the weaver in the drawings repairs the damaged web.

It watches the drawings go through the motions again, then on the third run through, begins to mimic the moves of the drawing of the spider-like spirit, opening a hole in her web that would allow you to pass the magical wards that block your path to Mount Shasta.
Acme
 player, 79 posts
 Coyote Shaman
 Avowed Pain In The Ass
Thu 17 Feb 2022
at 03:42
On Her Majesty’s Service (Solo: Acme)
Acme passes through, saying, "Thank you", though he's not sure the spider spirit will understand.

He heads into Shasta to look for the Grotto.

This message was last edited by the player at 03:51, Thu 17 Feb.

Mr. Johnson
 GM, 660 posts
Thu 17 Feb 2022
at 15:14
On Her Majesty’s Service (Solo: Acme)
Inside the wards, the mountain glows with life and energy. The little rift where the weaver sat is but a trickle of the mana that flows on the mount. The shamans keep the torrent regulated through a series of etheric gates and mana pools that fuel their powerful magic. As long as they stay focussed on healing the land, relationships with the Tir Princes and their Ghosts remain cordial. It helps to have a great dragon as patron and regent.

Following a well worn path through dense lush trees, you come to the edge of the summit where you know there is an entrance to the grotto. Inside the modest cave entrance, there is a sprawling cavern, lit by glittering pink crystals found randomly embedded in the rock. This is where the shamans hold council and work their most powerful rituals. Today however Ilena is alone, sitting quietly in a small circle of stones, waiting for your arrival.
Acme
 player, 80 posts
 Coyote Shaman
 Avowed Pain In The Ass
Fri 18 Feb 2022
at 05:42
On Her Majesty’s Service (Solo: Acme)
Coyote slows down to enjoy the sights and atmosphere of this idyllic place, as he approaches Ilena.

When he gets near enough, he bows dramatically, grinning.  "I'm here, my lady."
Mr. Johnson
 GM, 670 posts
Sat 19 Feb 2022
at 20:51
On Her Majesty’s Service (Solo: Acme)
"I felt your presence as soon as you passed the wards." she replies without opening her eyes.

Acme's relationship with Ilena is an unwritten story but you do have history...

Do you know each other from back in Phoenix?

Do you follow the same path? Does she walk with Coyote? Did you endure some shamanic trial together?

Did you grow up together? Study magic together? Run together?

Were you romantically involved? Just friends? Family?

You take the lead and I'll follow.

Acme
 player, 81 posts
 Coyote Shaman
 Avowed Pain In The Ass
Sun 20 Feb 2022
at 23:32
On Her Majesty’s Service (Solo: Acme)
I'm not really sure.  Nothing is immediately coming to me but I will get something up here when it does, might take a few days to cook.  I don't totally grok Acme yet, when I do that will help.
Mr. Johnson
 GM, 686 posts
Mon 21 Feb 2022
at 04:27
On Her Majesty’s Service (Solo: Acme)
Sounds great... if you want me to push the scene along, that works too.