[December 2059] H2Ostage Situation (Solo: Grendel)   Posted by Mr. Johnson.Group: 0
Mr. Johnson
 GM, 589 posts
Mon 7 Feb 2022
at 20:14
[December 2059] H2Ostage Situation
Brraap

Brraap


Make it Rain
12:53, Today: Mr. Johnson rolled 4 using 2d6 ((1,3))
Fail no help

Rock and Roll

12:54, Today: Mr. Johnson, on behalf of Grendel, rolled 8 using 2d6+2.  Rock and Roll.
Weak success
Deal damage: Vindicator +5 / Burst fire +2 / Drone Armor -2 / Armor Piercing +1 / Dmg 6


Brraaaaaapp

Another long burst of mini gun fire strikes home and the drone bursts into flames.

Threat move Deal Damage
Drone cannon: +3 / Burst Fire +2 / Armor Piercing +1 / Dmg 6
Grendel: Dmg +6/ armor -4 / 2 dmg


But not before a burst of cannon fire stitches over the deck and into the pop up turret, grazing you.  It stings and will need something to staunch the bleeding, but nothing serious, not even enough to get your stolen BioWare to kick in and fix the damage. Gonna need a sewing kit for your jacket.  Your new t-shirt, now bloodstained, shows it’s concern as an ad for Tamed Wilds portable personal first aid kit pops up on your PocSec.

Grendel [X] [X] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ]
MCT Rotordrone [X] [X] [X] [X]
G-12 Hovercraft [X] [X] [X] [X] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ]

Combat ends, Take 1XP

Grendel
 player, 139 posts
Sun 20 Feb 2022
at 17:31
[December 2059] H2Ostage Situation
Thup

Grendel felt a sort of tug, dimly recognizing that he had in fact been shot.

He hadn't reason to be surprised, here he was on the deck of a speeding hovercraft firing a mini-gun at armed drones, who were of course fighting back, but he was surprised none the less.

Then the pain came.

He exhaled with the agony of it, not a maddening pain but a real and urgent pain that grew, and grew until he had to express it, audibly, physically, just for some sense of relief.

He looked down, which did not help the situation, then felt just a little better as he realized that he could still move and walk. He was not disabled, not maimed, just...hit.

He worked hus way back towards the cabin far more slowly and carefully than when he had come out, and as he entered the relative safety and silence he coughed.

"You ah...got a first aid kit on this thing?" He asked after he had shut the door.
Mr. Johnson
 GM, 680 posts
Sun 20 Feb 2022
at 19:19
[December 2059] H2Ostage Situation
"Cargo net, rear bulkhead." the dwarf calls back over the fans. "Hope yer OK big fella. We're comin' up on the beach now. Be a minute or two until landfall."

Jenny pulls the first aid kit down from the back wall and begins to lay out the contents. "You're grazed, not hit too badly." she says with relief. "A dressing and some rest will be enough to heal this up." she adds, tenderly placing self adhesive bandages over your wounds.

A few short moments later, the hover is up on sandy shores about a quarter mile from the water processing plant. "Cameras ain't picking up your friends." the dwarf says the fans power down "You sure they got the message?"

"They must have got tied up inside the plant." Jenny replies, trying to make a call on her PocSec.

It connects on the first ring. "Jenny?" comes Caleb's voice over the speaker, "We're across the parking lot from the beach, but with the security lockdown, the door is locked from the outside."
Grendel
 player, 140 posts
Tue 22 Feb 2022
at 19:23
[December 2059] H2Ostage Situation
Grendel, his jacket half shrugged off and a bloodied patch around the wound on his left arm, listened with an inward sigh.

He was used to things being hard, used to disappointment, so the news that this would not be as simple as a pickup was sort of cynically expected.

The Dwarf was certainly not going to charge in there, they did not have the kind of NuYen to make that worthwhile, and he could not expect Jenny to do it. She was just trying to be the helpful sister, she would probably get picked up or worse, shot at on sight.

Which meant it was down to him. It was that or go home.

"I'll go snatch'em up" He said with a hint of frustration bubbling to the surface. He fought the self doubt forming in the back of his mind, that he was just a kid, that he was dangerously unqualified to be doing anything like this.

But he had passed his trial. He was an adult in every sense of the word, and again, it was not so much being qualified, it was simply being more qualified than those he was with. So again, it was down to him.

"Let 'em know I'm comin' yeah?" He asked Jenny as he slipped his jacket back on over the bandage and fingered the hole the round had made in the thick olive drab ballistic weave.

He opened the door to the cab, the sound of the fans spooling down invading the little nook of relative safety. "Wish me luck." He managed a tusky sort of grin, although his eyes held reservations, and like that he was out into the night and moving at a surprisingly fast pace towards the trapped Orcs.
Mr. Johnson
 GM, 701 posts
Wed 23 Feb 2022
at 07:08
[December 2059] H2Ostage Situation
Before anyone has a chance to process what you are doing, you are off the boat and charging through wet, ankle deep sand.

”Can give him 10 minutes,” Rhodes calls over the fans. ”No more. Got a patrol boat in bound and we need to be gone before it gets here.”

”Dammit!” Jenny curses, jumping off into the sand behind you. ”We’ll try to make it back in time, but get outta here if you need to.”

She charges after you, feet pounding across the parking lot, heart pounding in her chest. When she catches up to you, you’re hunkered down against a small automated parking gate house less than fifty feet from the edge of the building. As she catches her breath, she gasps, ”Clock’s ticking. Company coming. We’ve got ten minutes.”

Then she notices the thing that caused you to hold up and take cover: security cams on the roof…

Frag it, time is of the essence and it’s only 50 feet…

…or…

Watch and wait, maybe there is an opportunity when the cam isn’t looking your way…

…or…

Create a distraction so you can slip past the cam undetected…

…or…

Something else?

Grendel
 player, 141 posts
Sun 27 Mar 2022
at 03:53
[December 2059] H2Ostage Situation
Grendel felt each second bleeding away as he stared up at the security camera, the device built in a bulky and obvious housing meant to act as a deterrent to vandals and the like.

Troll's made up a tiny percentage of the population, he knew this, and if even his body was caught on footage it would immediately rule out most of the BayPlex, his hair, his beard, his horns, it would not be hard to pick him out of a line up.

And it was still his first day, or close enough. Did he really want to start his time here by winding up as a briefing item for a bunch of door kickers?

No...he really, really didn't.

He looked around for something he could use as a distraction, something that the software, or an operator would want to focus on for a few moments...
Mr. Johnson
 GM, 831 posts
Sun 27 Mar 2022
at 16:06
[December 2059] H2Ostage Situation
As luck would have it, there are a pair of cars sitting in the parking lot and within easy range of the camera. A explosion, or an attempted theft would probably draw away the cameras' attention for long enough to break down the door.

There is also the parking gate you have hidden behind. It's got a power source, of that you are certain, but you're not sure how you might be able to use that to make something loud, bright and obnoxious enough to distract whoever is behind that cam.
Grendel
 player, 142 posts
Sun 27 Mar 2022
at 16:34
[December 2059] H2Ostage Situation
"Got a light on ya?" He asked Jenny, hopeful that she would have something he could use to get a fire going. At this point in the night, torching a car seemed to be the one of the least of crimes he would be worried about.

Hustling over, the Troll squatted, gripped the frame of the white Ford Americar, and began to lift, the veins in his neck bulging and his teeth bared as he tried to flip the vehicle to gain access to the gas tank on the bottom.

Attempting to use "More Power" to flip one of the vehicles.
Mr. Johnson
 GM, 836 posts
Mon 28 Mar 2022
at 20:13
[December 2059] H2Ostage Situation
"Uh, yeah," she says, not fully understanding, but handing you a book of matches.

As the camera pans away from the gate, you make a break for it across the parking lot and duck in behind the Americar undetected.

Gripping the frame...

More Power 13:07, Today: Mr. Johnson, on behalf of Grendel, rolled 8 using 2d6+1. WEAK SUCCESS

...you get the car rocking a bit, then with a great heave, you catch it on your shoulder and push it over onto its side...

...but...

...you bash your head on the fender as it tips onto the side. Take 1 Stun
Grendel
 player, 143 posts
Mon 28 Mar 2022
at 21:20
[December 2059] H2Ostage Situation
With a groan of the suspension and the crunching of the door panels the Americar rocks once as it settled, catching to Troll unaware and smashing him in the forehead where the dirty plastic splits the skin and causes a trickle of blood to run down from the cut into his beard.

Grendel hissed a bit and grits his teeth, feeling the spot briefly and coming away with the pads of his fingers stained in blood. But there was no time to worry about that.

While many vehicles ran on electric these days, thankfully the Nomad generally knew at a glance what was still dependent on gasoline.

Drawing his primitive knife from its sheath, Grendel drove it point first into the fuel tank and recognized the distinctive smell as the clear fluid began to flow, soaking the undercarriage as the spattered onto the asphalt, the stream pulsed and gurgled as air bubbles crept into the punctured container.

"Alright" he nodded to the mess he had just made. "Light'er up."

The goal is to push the flaming car into the cameras range, using the smoke and flames as cover, then to back out and hopefully run around once the distraction is in place. He will shrug his jacket up over his head just in case, but he hopes this will do the trick.
Mr. Johnson
 GM, 845 posts
Tue 29 Mar 2022
at 19:58
[December 2059] H2Ostage Situation
The petrochem ignites with a satisfying 'woof' and the undercarriage is quickly bathed in flame.

As you jog away from the burning wreckage, the gas tank erupts in a deafening explosion creating a brilliant orange fireball. You see the heat rippling and reflected off the automated access gate as you take cover and catch your breath.

In those few moments, seeing your split forehead, Jenny makes quick work of sticking a couple of adhesive sutures to your skin in an effort to stop the bleeding - or at least keep it out of your eyes.

With the car crackling and popping as plastic melts into thick black smoke and other fluids ignite in vibrant flames, every camera on the roof is focused in on the fire and the way to the door is clear.
Grendel
 player, 144 posts
Thu 31 Mar 2022
at 03:52
[December 2059] H2Ostage Situation
The way open, and bearing a new injury, Grendel dashed for the door. He could see his inhuman silhouette cast against the wall of the facility by the gout of the now roaring flames and Jenny's smaller but still substantial shadow as it followed. An acrid reek from the fire saturated the air and the smoke column was bound to attract some attention, but they only had a few minutes before they would be stranded in any case.

Heart hammering, the Troll pushed on in search of Caleb in particular, and he sheathed his knife in hopes of avoiding an opening salvo should they run in to any sort of armed security.

He was just short of calling out, but he could cover ground fast on those long legs, occasionally using his massive arms to catch himself on a corner or to brace himself against the ground as they raced along.
Mr. Johnson
 GM, 854 posts
Fri 1 Apr 2022
at 15:38
[December 2059] H2Ostage Situation
Reaching the emergency exit, you find the hinges rusted and the door stuck shut, a result of the salt spray in this side of the building. This emergency exit won’t be helping anyone escape a burning building or a chemical spill.

When they last called in, Caleb and his crew were supposed to be just behind this door.
Grendel
 player, 145 posts
Fri 1 Apr 2022
at 16:24
[December 2059] H2Ostage Situation
There were myriad downsides to bring born a Troll, almost too many to mention offhand. There was the cost of food and the fact that they represented a tiny percentage of the population, that they held a stigma to many and often lived short and brutal lives.

But they were generally pretty good at opening stuck doors...

This door, like almost all doors, had been designed for humans. Five foot something, one hundred and fifty pounds or so, able to be opened by the elderly and children alike under maintained conditions.

Grendel was nearly twice as tall and nearly four times as heavy as the intended user, the calcium and collegen of his inhuman bones supplemented with therapies that had thickened and hardened them into a remarkably durable biological alloy.

And time was ticking.

He grabbed at the handle and braced himself against the opposing door he pulled, hard, trying to pop and deform the frame, the lockset and the hinges by main force, the veins in his neck protruding and his teeth bared as he strained against the industrial steel.

This message was last edited by the player at 12:23, Sat 02 Apr.

Mr. Johnson
 GM, 858 posts
Sat 2 Apr 2022
at 21:15
[December 2059] H2Ostage Situation
More Power 14:12, Today: Mr. Johnson, on behalf of Grendel, rolled 9 using 2d6+1 ((5,3)). WEAK SUCCESS

With a sharp, deafening sound of grinding metal that pierces the silence of the night, the door comes away from it's rusted frame.

"Geez, I hope the security teams didn't hear that," Jenny says staring into the dark of the plant. "But at least that should get Caleb's attention" she added tapping out a message on her PocSec.
Grendel
 player, 146 posts
Mon 4 Apr 2022
at 19:25
[December 2059] H2Ostage Situation
"Yeah...ten minutes." he offered as kind of excuse and shrugged. It was not a lot of time, it was true, and part Grendel was a little disappointed that their wayward Orcs were not on the other side of the door.

He stared into the industrial hallway as his eyes adjusted, his thermographic vision outlining the cool interior as he advanced, unarmed and at a hurried pace into the plant itself.

Precious seconds were ticking by, and he began to wonder how fast they could make it back to the hovercraft at a dead sprint.
Mr. Johnson
 GM, 863 posts
Tue 5 Apr 2022
at 03:10
[December 2059] H2Ostage Situation
"They're coming. Caleb says no more than two minutes." Jenny replies.

They arrive just in time for you to spot emergency lights over by the main building. Looks like the East Bay Plant maintains there own on site emergency response crew and they are on the way to your fire.

As the would be terrorists run up, there are a trio of flashlights in the dark behind them.

"We had a bit of company," Caleb says running past, "Where is your wheels?"
Grendel
 player, 147 posts
Tue 5 Apr 2022
at 03:26
[December 2059] H2Ostage Situation
Grendel's U-turn proves far slower as he is forced to slow his hulking frame and rebound off the wall in an effort to catch up with the fleeing Caleb, the lights in the distance jostle and flash chaotically as they group flees pell-mell towards the relative safety of the open air and the awaiting Hovercraft.

That is, if Rhodes was still there?

"The beach" Grendel cast a wary look over his shoulder. "Dead ahead, can't miss it". It was not like there were a lot of Hovercrafts drifting around.

He shot a look to Jenny. There were on the home stretch, but could they make it in time?
Mr. Johnson
 GM, 866 posts
Thu 7 Apr 2022
at 17:34
[December 2059] H2Ostage Situation
The orcs, followed by a human you can only assume is St Clair, break out into a dead sprint toward the beach. As you and Jenny join them, the flashlights inside close in on the door. Approaching the hover, the wail of sirens is drowned out by the fans. On the cargo deck, Jackie is motioning for you to hurry and helping the orcs up over the air cushion.

As you pull yourself on board, Jackie shouts something incomprehensible but his message is clear. He points out to the bay where the lights of a fast moving patrol boat can been seen making its turn around a nearby point.
Grendel
 player, 148 posts
Fri 8 Apr 2022
at 04:10
[December 2059] H2Ostage Situation
Ass the rag tag group pounded down the beach with the silhouette of the hovercraft waiting for them, Grendel felt a profound relief that washed over him and nearly brought tears to his eyes.

The fear that they were going to be left behind, that the Dwarf would bail on them after the drones, and the pursuers from the Plant, and everything else that was going on had been oppressive, and only now as it dissipated did he realized just how much he had dreaded the possibility.

He was reminded of childhood games with the other Trolls, there was often a space ship, or a car, or something else that was leaving...and they would dramatically run after the pretend vessels while their friends "heroically" reached out with extended hands to drag them on board. It was a common enough trope on the trids, but later in the quiet hours of the night he would wonder if Nomad kids in particular have some kind of deep set primal fear of being left behind.

The troll pulled himself aboard with his long limbs, and spotted the running lights of the patrol craft. This boat was probably manned, and probably armed, potentially with something a lot heavier than the minigun the Rhodes had installed.

But what choice did they have?

Grendel acknowledged the patrol craft with a nod and moved to man the gun again.

How much ammunition did it actually have on board he wondered?
Mr. Johnson
 GM, 872 posts
Sun 10 Apr 2022
at 06:24
[December 2059] H2Ostage Situation
The hover makes a tight turn, kicking up a cloud of sand that whips at your pursuers as they hit the beach. Blinded and buffeted by the powerful turbines, there is no credible threat from them, in fact it even seems likely they wouldn't have been able to get a good look at you as you speed off into the waves.

You don't fare so well with that patrol boat though. The small, sleek little speed boat is a lot more nimble and quicker than the cumbersome cargo hover. Its closing in fast, as you keep it in the iron sight on the old Vindicator. In dark across the chill of the water, you can clearly make out the cool steel outline of some sort of gun mounted to the bow of that fast moving boat in pursuit.

Maybe your minigun has a longer range than whatever that is mounted on the bow... take a shot now and see if you can make them back off?

Or wait until you now you can hit them... how much are they willing to risk it once their little boat starts splintering apart around them?

Grendel
 player, 149 posts
Sun 10 Apr 2022
at 18:23
[December 2059] H2Ostage Situation
As the swift patrol vessel grew nearer Grendel saw it resolve itself against the black of the frigid Pacific, he could see the tell tale outline of the barrel, maybe a little pocket of heat near the back of the weapon, something electronic perhaps.

Although the Troll would never have thought of it, the same upbringing that had caused him to be sparing with his ammunition with the Drones was the same mindset that held his fire now, one did not waste ammunition, it simply was not done, it was too valuable for things like "ranging" shots.

And so for better or for worse he allows the patrol boat to draw nearer, the hull becoming easier to distinguish, the grip of the Avenger growing warm in his hand.

Of course all around him was the deafening roar of the fans, the spray of the sea, the undulation of the hover craft. There was the knowledge that the cabin was now packed with people, vulnerable people, and that they were messing around with high caliber weapons here. A single solid shot could strand either of them, or send them floundering with their crews splashing in the bitterly cold water. Worse, it could rip through an occupied compartment, spreading death in its wake.

Despite all this, some small part of Grendel reveled in it all. Here he was, the wind whipping at his hair and coat, the sea spray on his skin, with a mini-gun in his hand. He thought of men crewing the great sailing warships of old, or vikings lining the edge of a longboat ready to board.

This would be a story worth telling, if they made it out in one piece.

Grendel will hold fire until he is sure of his shots.

This message was last edited by the player at 04:23, Tue 12 Apr.

Mr. Johnson
 GM, 879 posts
Sat 16 Apr 2022
at 20:10
[December 2059] H2Ostage Situation
The gunner on the patrol boat does not show the same restraint and fires a couple of ranging bursts that splash harmlessly into the waves. Clearly corporate security does not maintain the same degree of resource stewardship as the Black Rock Clan.

As far as you can tell, Rhodes has this pop-up fitted with a heavier gun, which means you should be able to out-range them for a few bursts before the speed boat is close enough to target the hovercraft's air cushion.

Floating over the chop, sights trained on the narrow bow of your pursuers...

Rock and Roll 13:53, Today: Mr. Johnson, on behalf of Grendel, rolled 5 using 2d6+2 ((1,2)). FAIL Take 1XP

...the gun spits a few rounds and falls short, looks like you misjudged this one slightly.  As you struggle to find your range, the fast moving boat closes in and opens fire.

Threat move Deal Damage
Patrol boat cannon: +5 / Burst Fire +2 / Dmg 7 split between Grendel and Hovercraft

Grendel: Dmg +4 / armor -4 / AP +1 / 1 dmg
Hovercraft: Dmg +3 / armor -2 / / AP +1 / 2 dmg

Grendel [X] [X] [X] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ]
G-12 Hovercraft [X] [X] [X] [X] [X] [X] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ]


Feeling the static in his mind as bullets gouge into his hull, Rhodes urges the hover to move faster and careens into a tight turn to avoid the next volley...

Make it Rain 14:05, Today: Mr. Johnson rolled 2 using 2d6 ((1,1)). Snakeeyes something bad happens.

...but the fans stall and you are dead in the water for a long moment while he struggles to bring them back to life.

Back in the crew compartment, the radio chatters: Attention... unidentied vessel ... you are in contravention of a security cordon ... any attempt to power your vessel and resume course will be met with lethal force ... prepare to be boarded...
Grendel
 player, 152 posts
Sat 16 Apr 2022
at 21:00
[December 2059] H2Ostage Situation
An icy wave of dread washed over Grendel, a full reversal of the elation he had been feeling just a few minutes prior.

With the roar of the fans dead and the gunfire stopped, with the stabbing searchlights and the distorted voice over the speaker, it had all taken on a sort of trapped and nightmarish feel.

Was the Hovercraft truly dead in the water? Had they hit something vital? Were they really trapped?

Who was manning this patrol craft? How many crew did it have aboard? Were they heavily armed?

And the most important question of all. Did they surrender now and take their lumps?

Or did they fight, and risk it all?

The Troll shot an uncertain look towards the cabin, not panicking yet, but his heart begining to race. He could not run from this one, even if he had been willing to leave all the others behind.

He stepped away from the gun, his mind racing, still unsure about what he would do exactly.
Mr. Johnson
 GM, 887 posts
Sun 1 May 2022
at 21:37
[December 2059] H2Ostage Situation
The hovercraft rocks gently on the waves as the patrol boat slows its approach.

You're pretty sure they are in range now. A short burst at the waterline might slow them down or make them think twice about boarding...

...but you're a sitting duck out here...

...and glancing back at the cabin, you see the would be terrorists inside checking their SMGs...

...these corp cops are in for a rude awakening if they try and board you...

You have a few moments to come up with a plan to fight your way out and either convince them this is too tough a nut to crack or get ready to repel the boarders.