[January 2060] Cross Purposes (Crew: San Fran)   Posted by Mr. Johnson.Group: 0
Bailey
 player, 67 posts
 Deadly
 With stilletos
Wed 23 Feb 2022
at 01:20
[January 2060] Cross Purposes (Crew: San Fran)
OOC: Ok, I think it's time to move from here into a planning stage. This scene feels over?
Mr. Johnson
 GM, 699 posts
Wed 23 Feb 2022
at 04:31
[January 2060] Cross Purposes (Crew: San Fran)
Sounds good... you have time for legwork outside the city, then we'll fast forward to the hotel to scout things out and do the planning.
Laurie
 player, 24 posts
Wed 23 Feb 2022
at 05:17
[January 2060] Cross Purposes (Crew: San Fran)
”Ummm, did we talk about how much this run pays?” Laurie asked a bit sheepishly.
Mr. Johnson
 GM, 705 posts
Thu 24 Feb 2022
at 02:44
[January 2060] Cross Purposes (Crew: San Fran)
"Payday only comes if you come through." Mindi replies, "Sixteen thousand all in. Eight each if it all goes well but you are on the hook for your own expenses." she adds briefly opening her eyes to glance at Bailey, "That includes room service darling."

On to Legwork... you have a week. Let me know what you want to accomplish before trying your fancy new IDs at an Imperial checkpoint.
Bailey
 player, 70 posts
 Deadly
 With stilletos
Thu 24 Feb 2022
at 02:54
[January 2060] Cross Purposes (Crew: San Fran)
"Hmph!" Bailey responds to the implied accusation with a little sound, mostly through her nose.

OOC: I'd like to know more about who it is we're extracting, hoping to learn more about why they want to keep her so bad and what sort of resistance we might expect.
Laurie
 player, 25 posts
Fri 25 Feb 2022
at 04:25
[January 2060] Cross Purposes (Crew: San Fran)
So I think Invisibility might come in handy here... Laurie wants to use her Talismonger connection to learn how to summon a teacher spirit who can help her or to buy a spell formula outright.

If there is time after trying to learn the spirit and spell; Laurie will look into Xeres Labs and see if she can find out what they are up to in San Fran.

Mr. Johnson
 GM, 713 posts
Sat 26 Feb 2022
at 02:48
[January 2060] Cross Purposes (Crew: San Fran)
You hold up with Mindi overnight at a San Mateo hotel. It's no Chateau Cross but Mindi needs a few days rest and a few days to make some calls to set up your cover story for the run.

@Bailey:

You check into the local Shadowbuzz, make a few calls, tap into your contacts looking for details on one Dr. Miranda Novak and...

Citation Needed 19:18, Today: Mr. Johnson, on behalf of Bailey, rolled 5 using 2d6+1 ((1,3)). Fail Take 1XP

...come up empty. No one has ever heard of this woman.

or...

...initially you come up empty, but a few days later, you receive a cryptic message from an unknown caller asking you to meet.

Follow this lead and (1) you get some useful info about Dr Novak, but (2) it will come at a cost.

@Laurie:


You check into the local talisleggers, make a few calls, tap into your contacts looking for a tutor and...

Go Shopping 19:30, Today: Laurie rolled 8 using 2d6+1 ((2,5)). Weak Success

...your contacts come through, but it's going to take a few days to get what you need.

Choose one:
-pay 1000, learn to summon an elemental with teacher aspect
-pay 3000, get the spell formula





Legwork (part 2):
Bailey can follow up on the lead about Dr Novak alone, and
Laurie can focus on learning the new spell, or

Bailey and Laurie to follow up on the lead together, but
Laurie can only bond with the spirit and won't learn the new spell, or

Bailey can change directions and chase down info the the potential opposition, and
Laurie can focus on learning the new spell.

Laurie
 player, 26 posts
Sat 26 Feb 2022
at 02:50
[January 2060] Cross Purposes (Crew: San Fran)
If Bailey wants to chase down the lead on Novak, Laurie will put the spell research aside to follow up the lead together.
Bailey
 player, 73 posts
 Deadly
 With stilletos
Mon 28 Feb 2022
at 01:18
[January 2060] Cross Purposes (Crew: San Fran)
Sounds good! Bailey will followup on the cryptic message, then they work on the lead!
Mr. Johnson
 GM, 732 posts
Tue 1 Mar 2022
at 03:06
[January 2060] Cross Purposes (Crew: San Fran)
OK, Bailey and Laurie are off to check out the cryptic message...

After the shaker in '52 the San Bruno waterfront was lost to the waters of San Fransisco Bay. Like carrion birds, Shiwase Atomics swooped in and snatched up the desolate and destroyed properties for a tenth of their former values. It took a few years of never ending construction, but the corp's vison was finally realized in late '56 and the San Bruno automated port facility came online.

Running along the Bay north of San Fran airport for about five miles, there is a massive drone and robot controlled warren of automation. Heavy machinery dedicated to unceasing, uninterrupted commerce that can be seen from low earth orbit if you know where to look. At any given time, dozens of ships are moored at the Shiwase piers where thousands of automatic robotic tenders swarm over them, their dog brains endlessly loading and unloading containers,  moving them to and from the army of waiting trucks and road trains.

This is where the cryptic message tells you to meet.

"Feel free to take my car darlings," Mindi says sleepily, "I'm in no shape to drive anyway, and ZipCar won't go past the exclusion zone around that Shiawase complex. Be careful, this stinks of a set-up."
Bailey
 player, 75 posts
 Deadly
 With stilletos
Thu 3 Mar 2022
at 01:51
[January 2060] Cross Purposes (Crew: San Fran)
Bailey could get used to this. Driving through town in a luxe car. The seats were more comfortable than anything in her apartment, including the bed. They may have to take it out to get a couple cocktails after the mission.

"What do you think? You get out and monitor from afar? Make sure no one's going to jump out at me. I can handle myself if something goes rough." Bailey asks as they drive across town. Headed toward the port. She didn't seem overly concerned with the possibility of a trap
Laurie
 player, 27 posts
Thu 3 Mar 2022
at 05:10
[January 2060] Cross Purposes (Crew: San Fran)
”You have some sort of astral over watch in mind?” Laurie asked, conscious of the fact that her Manhunter was no long range sniper rifle. ”I can do that, just need somewhere to hold up where I won’t be too vulnerable. You can drop me up here.” she adds, noticing an airport coffin hotel from a fairly reputable chain.

”I’ll follow you onto the site and let you know if I spot anything out of the ordinary. These guys had some juice too, so I’ll need to keep a low profile, magically speaking.”
Mr. Johnson
 GM, 749 posts
Fri 4 Mar 2022
at 06:04
[January 2060] Cross Purposes (Crew: San Fran)
Laurie patrols the Astral while Bailey goes in to the meet. Any other preparations?
Laurie
 player, 28 posts
Sat 5 Mar 2022
at 18:55
[January 2060] Cross Purposes (Crew: San Fran)
Laurie slots her cred at the coffin hotel's automated teller and climbs up the ladder well to the fifth level catwalk. Finding her tube, she shuffles herself inside.

Laying back and breathing deeply, she sets her heavy pistol on her chest and slowly eases her consciousness out of her body. Slipping through the cold dead walls of the hotel, she rises above the building and rises her arms and faces the dark sky over the bay. "Spirits of the east and of the air, I call on thee..."

summoning an air watcher elemental
Bailey
 player, 78 posts
 Deadly
 With stilletos
Sun 6 Mar 2022
at 03:53
[January 2060] Cross Purposes (Crew: San Fran)
Bailey slides her pistols under the seat of her car. Somewhere out of sight, but within easy reach if she needs to duck to avoid some fire. She breaths in, deep and steady, bracing herself. Her eyes scanning the port as she pulls the car slowly toward the meeting place. Steeling herself. Focusing in on herself. Her muscles, her body. Everything that she was likely going to need to be ready to unleash in a moment's notice.

OOC: I'd like to spend an Essence for Enhanced Ability. I'll raise Combat, just to play it ultra safe.
Mr. Johnson
 GM, 768 posts
Sun 6 Mar 2022
at 23:40
[January 2060] Cross Purposes (Crew: San Fran)
@Laurie

Conjure 16:33, Today: Mr. Johnson, on behalf of Laurie, rolled 6 using 2d6+1 ((3,2)). Fail Take 1XP


If the spirits hear, they do not come...

or Edge Bump Weak Success, essence 5/6, services remaining 1, take 1 stun

The small air elemental materializes to do your bidding...

@Bailey

Enhanced Ability 16:36, Today: Mr. Johnson, on behalf of Bailey, rolled 8 using 2d6+1 ((3,4)). Weak success


You feel the power surge through your muscles as your combat skills become magically enhanced.

Essence 5/6 ... choose an attribute that is weakened while Combat is enhanced
Bailey
 player, 79 posts
 Deadly
 With stilletos
Mon 7 Mar 2022
at 01:10
[January 2060] Cross Purposes (Crew: San Fran)
OOC: Let's lower Craft. I don't think I'll be doing too much solving here.
Laurie
 player, 29 posts
Mon 7 Mar 2022
at 02:50
[January 2060] Cross Purposes (Crew: San Fran)
Will take the success and the stun

Turning to the elemental, Laurie ordered it to watch her corporeal body and warn her if anyone attempts to unlock the coffin hatch or approaches in the astral plane.
Mr. Johnson
 GM, 771 posts
Mon 7 Mar 2022
at 04:17
[January 2060] Cross Purposes (Crew: San Fran)
The automated shipyard is a maze of metal, fumes and noise. It is a place of ceaseless movement where robots move shipping containers and smaller drones manage cargo handling tenders.

@Laurie It is disturbingly dark. There is no life, nothing glows between the hollow shells in the mechanical hive. No spirits wander here. It is abjectly and unequivocally dead.

@Bailey It is disturbingly dark. Spotlights shine outwards from the fence that surrounds the shipyard, but beyond the fence it is pitch black. As you approach, there is an automated gate, not even access is controlled by a living thing.

Laurie [/] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] - Essence 5/6
Bailey [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] - Essence 5/6

Laurie
 player, 30 posts
Thu 10 Mar 2022
at 05:55
[January 2060] Cross Purposes (Crew: San Fran)
Disgusted by the desolation created by profit incentives and rabid consumerism, Laurie floats down to the Toyota stopped near the gate.  She slides through the dead metal back into the passenger seat where she briefly manifests, a ghostly presence, glowing pale blue and translucent.

”No signs of ambush that I can see” she says.
Bailey
 player, 83 posts
 Deadly
 With stilletos
Sat 12 Mar 2022
at 15:02
[January 2060] Cross Purposes (Crew: San Fran)
"Great. Well... That's at least one thing we can cross off the list. But just in case, let's stay ready..." Bailey murmurs, unsure if Laurie can even hear her. She pulls the car up toward the gate, hoping that the automated sensors aren't looking for any confirmation other than the presence of a vehicle. If not, she readies herself to bound the gate. Not the easiest thing but... She'd leapt bigger.
Laurie
 player, 31 posts
Sat 12 Mar 2022
at 18:19
[January 2060] Cross Purposes (Crew: San Fran)
”I’ll be here.” Laurie replies fading into darkness. She flies up past the access gate, leaving the car behind and hovering above keeping watch.
Bailey
 player, 85 posts
 Deadly
 With stilletos
Sun 13 Mar 2022
at 16:06
[January 2060] Cross Purposes (Crew: San Fran)
Bailey slides from the car, and looks up and over the fence. Well... There really only looked to be one way up. She bounces from one foot to the other for a moment. Shaking out, inhaling deeply. A bolt, a running sprint toward the gate. Bouncing her foot off the wall, taking it in bounds.
Mr. Johnson
 GM, 796 posts
Mon 14 Mar 2022
at 01:55
[January 2060] Cross Purposes (Crew: San Fran)
Bailey is up and over the fence in an effortless instant. Inside the compound, the darkness envelops you, after about fifty meters you have only the dim moonlight to light your way. Around you it is a wall of sound. Grinding metal on metal, the high pitched whine of drone gyroscopes and sputtering electric engines are all that greets you.

High above, Laurie spots a Hyundai Equus approaching the gate. It comes to a stop back where you have left Mindi's Elite. Inside she sees the glowing life essence of two passengers but there is something strange traveling with them. Something walking between the world of life and death. A magically animated abomination, only alive by the barest of definitions, it has been so tainted by the machine.

The Equus comes to a stop and the three passengers get out. The driver (peer) checks over Mindi's Elite while the passenger (peer) and the cyborg (nemesis) keep lookout.

Roll out the red carpet: this must be the folks who asked for a meeting. Guess it's time to chat.

or

This is no place for a meeting, it's obviously an ambush: you have the drop on them, you only get one chance to light them up using the element of surprise.

Bailey
 player, 88 posts
 Deadly
 With stilletos
Tue 15 Mar 2022
at 00:25
[January 2060] Cross Purposes (Crew: San Fran)
If this were a trap... They probably would've opened fire from afar. No reason to drive up. Bailey nods, biting her lip. And she heads back up, over the other side. Landing between the Elite and the fence.

"Hey," she says, leaning over the hood of the car. "You rang?"