[January 2060] Cross Purposes (Crew: San Fran)   Posted by Mr. Johnson.Group: 0
Mr. Johnson
 GM, 563 posts
Fri 4 Feb 2022
at 03:16
[January 2060] Cross Purposes (Crew: San Fran)
The phone rings for a long while before someone picks up. There is no image on the screen, just a distant streetlight against the night sky. A well manicured hand with a broken fingernail briefly passes over the camera. A soft sound follows, something between a whimper and a pathetic moan.

"Help..."
Bailey
 player, 47 posts
 Deadly
 With stilletos
Sat 5 Feb 2022
at 15:02
[January 2060] Cross Purposes (Crew: San Fran)
"Oh, shit. Mindi? Where are you? What's going on?" Bailey asks, a bit of nervous in her voice. She quickly brings Laurie in on the com link, "Mindi? Tell me everything. We're coming. Laurie, we need to go now. Oh, shit."
Mr. Johnson
 GM, 577 posts
Sat 5 Feb 2022
at 18:39
[January 2060] Cross Purposes (Crew: San Fran)
"Unngh..."

A locator pin appears on Bailey's PocSec. It's only about a block from Nighthawk's.

There is nothing more as Mindi succumbs to unconsciousness.
Laurie
 player, 17 posts
Sat 5 Feb 2022
at 19:14
[January 2060] Cross Purposes (Crew: San Fran)
Laurie hastily gathered her things and slid out of the booth.

"This ever happen before?" she asked, "This woman, Mindi, does she have enemies that would do something like this?"
Bailey
 player, 50 posts
 Deadly
 With stilletos
Mon 7 Feb 2022
at 17:27
[January 2060] Cross Purposes (Crew: San Fran)
"Who doesn't?" Bailey answers, as she pushes up from the booth. Leaving her drink half full. Mindi was a fixer for a big agency. She doubtlessly had links to someone who did something, but most of her contacts were unknown to Bailey. "There's a location marker. C'mon. Let's go. We can figure it out on the way."
Mr. Johnson
 GM, 591 posts
Tue 8 Feb 2022
at 02:29
[January 2060] Cross Purposes (Crew: San Fran)
It’s a short run under street lights and cloudy sky. There is no bustling nightlife around Nighthawk’s, just a half-full parking lot, a few passers by and a Fiesta taco truck that has certainly seen better days. Most folks on the edge of the ‘plex tend to keep to themselves anyway.  A few miles North and you reach the first Imperial checkpoints. A few miles South and the city gives way to a long open stretch dotted with small squatter and nomad settlements all the way down to Pacifica.

All in all, not a bad spot to plan an ambush.

You find her lying unconscious on the damp pavement in an alley that reeks of urine and garbage. She is unconscious, breathing steadily, but shallowly, perhaps the result of a broken rib. Badly beaten, leg at an unnatural angle and dark blood stains on her cerise pant-suit.  Her blood smeared PocSec on the ground beside her, screen cracked from when she fell.

There is no sign of her assailants.
Bailey
 player, 53 posts
 Deadly
 With stilletos
Wed 9 Feb 2022
at 22:20
[January 2060] Cross Purposes (Crew: San Fran)
"Oh, shit, oh shit," Bailey mutters to herself as she rushes to Mindi. A look down, then back up toward Laurie, "You said you can heal, right? Well??" she urges, gathering the older woman up in her arms carefully. Obviously distressed, tears already building up in her eyes.
Laurie
 player, 19 posts
Thu 10 Feb 2022
at 18:20
[January 2060] Cross Purposes (Crew: San Fran)
Laurie enters the filthy alley gun drawn, the heavy Colt held at the ready while her other hand crackles with mana.  A sharp intake of breath reveals her nervousness as she lays eyes in the wounded fixer. ”I’ll see what I can do.” she says in reply while she has the presence of mind to shift her perceptions between her physical surroundings and a view of the etheric plane.

Once satisfied that no threat lurks in the spirit realm, she turns her perception to the woman lying bloodied in the pavement and begins to work a spell of healing.

This message was last updated by the player at 18:20, Thu 10 Feb.

Mr. Johnson
 GM, 602 posts
Thu 10 Feb 2022
at 02:46
[January 2060] Cross Purposes (Crew: San Fran)
Peering into the astral plane, there are sure signs of magical disturbances. The mana is warped and Mindi’s wounds were caused by mana being bent and warped into physical attacks. She was clearly attacked by a magically active being; a magician, a spirit or the killing hands of an adept.

Fighting the warped mana, Laurie begins her incantation…

Cast a spell
19:36, Today: Mr. Johnson, on behalf of Laurie, rolled 6 using 2d6 ((3,3)).
Fail take 1XP


But the lingering magical effect of the damage resists your spell and Mindi remains unconscious.

or…
19:36, Today: Mr. Johnson, on behalf of Laurie, rolled 6 using 2d6 ((3,3)).
Edge bump
Weak success


Mindi’s flesh is mended and she slowly regains consciousness, but forcing your spell to work against the lingering magical energies takes extra effort and a wave of fatigue washes over you.

Take 1 stun + fatiguing = 2 stun
Laurie
 player, 19 posts
Thu 10 Feb 2022
at 02:53
[January 2060] Cross Purposes (Crew: San Fran)
As the spell takes form and Mindi’s torn flesh knits back together, Laurie swoons and drops to her knees beside the wounded fixer. Emerald eyes closed, head bowed as she regains her composure, she struggles to speak as she gasps for breath. ”This was the work of… something… magical. Spell work… or something else...”

option 2
Mr. Johnson
 GM, 607 posts
Thu 10 Feb 2022
at 18:21
[January 2060] Cross Purposes (Crew: San Fran)
Laurie [/] [/] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] - Essence 5/6, Edge 3/4

Mindi slowly rouses from the fog of unconsciousness though, despite Laurie’s magic, the fixer’s breathing is still shallow. ”Something… grabbed me…” her words are slow and uncertain. ”Did you see? How did you find me?”
Bailey
 player, 55 posts
 Deadly
 With stilletos
Sat 12 Feb 2022
at 16:01
[January 2060] Cross Purposes (Crew: San Fran)
"The location tracker on your PocSec was on," Bailey says. Suddenly suspicious. There was clearly something up here. Something grabbing Mindi at random? She looks around, biting on her lip gently. "Laur, can you like, see anything?"

OOC: Gonna spend for Enhanced Awareness and see how much of a trap this is. Checking the Situation.
Mr. Johnson
 GM, 617 posts
Sat 12 Feb 2022
at 19:13
[January 2060] Cross Purposes (Crew: San Fran)
Rolling Dice…
11:57, Today: Mr. Johnson, on behalf of Bailey, rolled 3 using 2d6.  Enhanced Ability. Fail Take 1XP
11:58, Today: Mr. Johnson, on behalf of Bailey, rolled 4 using 2d6.  Check the situation. Fail Take 1XP
11:59, Today: Laurie rolled 8 using 2d6+1.  Check the Situation. Weak success

@Bailey - how many vodkas did you have at Nighthawks?!  Silver lining: take +1 Rep … see you in OOC XP and Nuyen to figure that out.


Mindi’s assailants were extremely efficient. There is little sign of their presence here. No scuff marks in the dirty alley way, nothing dropped or left behind. They were pros, and magical pros at that.  Examining the lingering traces of magical energy, Laurie notices nothing that would indicate the presence of a spirit or a spell as she knows it. This power came from within. Mindi was attacked by an adept.
Laurie
 player, 21 posts
Sat 12 Feb 2022
at 19:21
[January 2060] Cross Purposes (Crew: San Fran)
As the fuzziness cleared from her mind, Laurie followed the lines of mana in stinking the alley. The cold dead concrete revealed nothing.

”This isn’t spell work and I don’t sense the presence of a spirit. I’m only guessing, but I think this was someone trained to use their powers to fight. Why would an adept attack you?”
Mr. Johnson
 GM, 622 posts
Sun 13 Feb 2022
at 03:03
[January 2060] Cross Purposes (Crew: San Fran)
In the dim lights of the stinking alley, she replies, ”Adept? Like magic? It has to be related to out meeting with the Johnson. Too much of a coincidence that the attack happened at the same time as our call window. It’s a big payday, this must be the competition."

Wincing as she picks up her smashed phone and producing a key ring from her handbag, she adds, "We should get out of here. I'm parked around the corner."
Bailey
 player, 59 posts
 Deadly
 With stilletos
Mon 14 Feb 2022
at 21:56
[January 2060] Cross Purposes (Crew: San Fran)
"Yeah, I'm all for getting out of here..." Bailey puts an arm around Mindi, helping her as she limps toward her car.
Mr. Johnson
 GM, 642 posts
Tue 15 Feb 2022
at 05:50
[January 2060] Cross Purposes (Crew: San Fran)
Leaning into Bailey, Mindi hands over the keys as you approach a parking lot occupied by a gleaming Toyota Elite. Deep merlot that looks almost black in the night, chrome in all the right places. Her thumbprint disables the security and you are welcomed inside to stone grey synth leather seats and climate control that pushes back the cool damp winter air blowing in off the Pacific.

Tell it to them straight
”Because of the attack we’ve missed our call window with the prospective client.” she begins, wincing through the pain of getting settled into the back seat of the sedan.  ”Our client is looking for a change in employment, but unfortunately for her, Xerxes Research doesn’t have a very flexible contract renegotiation policy.  Some opposition was not entirely unexpected.” she continues letting you pull out into traffic leaving the ambush site behind in the rear view mirror.

”She wants out. The company wants to keep her. Everyday that passes means that the knot tightens around her.  There is a bright light on the horizon however. In two weeks, Beaux Retail is hosting a fashion show in the Cross arc. Ms J believes she can easily convince Xerxes to allow a bit of an outing to spend some cred at the show.” she pauses, absentmindedly picking at dried blood on her pant leg. ”That’s the time and place. Once she is out, there is another job waiting for her and the new employer will arrange for pick up at a time and place set by us.”
Bailey
 player, 62 posts
 Deadly
 With stilletos
Thu 17 Feb 2022
at 03:32
[January 2060] Cross Purposes (Crew: San Fran)
"So it's like, an extraction job?" Bailey says, checking the rear view cameras. She was pretty sure this car cost more than her apartment. Probably more than her parents' apartment. Just don't crash it.

"I could pick up a job at the show, easy. And Laur, you could... I dunno. Maybe get a job as a caterer? And then we get her out of the show and to the pick up spot? Easy peasy. Well, it would've been if they didn't already have a read on you."
Laurie
 player, 22 posts
Thu 17 Feb 2022
at 06:17
[January 2060] Cross Purposes (Crew: San Fran)
Laurie recoiled in dismay at the idea of posing as a wage slave for some posh arc fashion show, but kept her mouth shut about it. A corporate extraction job was a spring board into the big time shadowgame. Just the kind of score she had spent her life dreaming about. All the small time mule jobs and break-ins and running with go-gangs would be a distant memory. If it took a little humility and dressing up in a serving girl outfit to be seen as a pro, it would be a small price to pay.

“Maybe a bright side,” Laurie chimed in responding to Bailey’s comment about the competition, ”If they knew about the call and they attacked to try and keep us from ever making the meet with Ms J, maybe they think the pressure is off now. I mean, they did leave you in a pretty sorry state. Another hour and I’m not sure my magic would have been enough.”
Mr. Johnson
 GM, 665 posts
Sat 19 Feb 2022
at 03:08
[January 2060] Cross Purposes (Crew: San Fran)
"You two finding me is one helluva bright side, if you ask me." Mindi says closing her eyes and leaning back into the comfort of the sedan's seat. "Head south, down to San Mateo. I think I'd better avoid home and you two don't need to try and explain all this at an Imperial checkpoint. Which reminds me, you'll need decent identification to get into San Fran so you can get to Cross. What else can I do to help?"
Bailey
 player, 64 posts
 Deadly
 With stilletos
Sat 19 Feb 2022
at 18:33
[January 2060] Cross Purposes (Crew: San Fran)
"Well, a recommendation for the modeling gig couldn't hurt. Or an in for whatever will get Laur through the door?" Bailey turns onto the freeway at the first chance. Which was maybe not a great idea- she wasn't an experienced driver. City kid. But what other choice did she have here? She pushes a bit of hair back, trying to clear her head along with it.

"What sort of gear will we need? Something we can smuggle into the city. Or someway to get it past a check point."
Laurie
 player, 22 posts
Sat 19 Feb 2022
at 22:12
[January 2060] Cross Purposes (Crew: San Fran)
"If we had some legit IDs we could go into Cross and have a look around. Like we're just out for a trip to the mall. They don't hate elves enough to not take our cred." Laurie replied, looking out the passenger window as San Fran was left behind in the rearview cams. "We could at least get to know our way around the place, know what we're up against?"

"Smuggling our gear and ourselves in is an option too." she adds, "We could find a way in past the checkpoints then lay low until break out day."

This message was last updated by the player at 22:12, Sat 19 Feb.

Mr. Johnson
 GM, 677 posts
Sun 20 Feb 2022
at 18:11
[January 2060] Cross Purposes (Crew: San Fran)
"Iconic can help get you working covers that allow you into the show on the day of the event. Maybe even a few days earlier for rehearsals and set-up," Mindi replies. "We can see about setting it up so you are stay inside the city for a few days, maybe even at Chateau Cross so you have a legitimate reason for hanging around the place."
Bailey
 player, 66 posts
 Deadly
 With stilletos
Tue 22 Feb 2022
at 01:46
[January 2060] Cross Purposes (Crew: San Fran)
Bailey was up for a few nights a the Chateau Cross. Maybe along with a friendly, handsome barman? The possibilities were endless. But first, she's got to figure out how to not get murdered by corporate retention experts. That would really put a damper on the entire trip.

"We just need to get our stuff in as like, a dead drop. Then we get in on Iconic IDs and pick it up. Maybe like... A drone? Or invisibility? Or just hucking it really, really hard?"
Laurie
 player, 23 posts
Tue 22 Feb 2022
at 04:29
[January 2060] Cross Purposes (Crew: San Fran)
”Yeah, a drone drop somewhere we could pick up. Nothing too big, just body armor and a pistol.” Laurie said with a nod. ”If we think we need any other gear, we can probably pick it up at the arc. They probably have more than enough … stuff…” she added, finding it hard to articulate what they might need on a job like this. Making the jump from gutter punk to prime runner was bound to have a steep learning curve.