[January 2060] Cross Purposes (Crew: San Fran)   Posted by Mr. Johnson.Group: 0
Mr. Johnson
 GM, 518 posts
Sat 29 Jan 2022
at 03:00
[January 2060] Cross Purposes (Crew: San Fran)
Nestled beneath the Transamerica Pyramid, the Cross Allied Technologies archology straddles four AAA city blocks in San Fran’s financial district. A steel and glass testament to the modern megacorp, the archology houses a massive shopping and entertainment promenade featuring Cross Matrix Technologies wide range of computing and entertainment products. In the promenade, you’ll also find Beaux Retail and their trendy line of business oriented fashion, Biscon biomedical for all your gene therapy and cosmetic improvement needs and boutique custom arms dealer Flèche Armaments.

The office tower houses a number of Cross Applied Technology parent corporation and affiliates offices. Primarily the CalFree hub for Cross operations, the offices also serve as a link to the markets of the Far East. And, while it’s not a well publicized fact, there is a regional hub for Xerxes Research Labs right here in the archology.



...and here we have Bailey modelling the Beaux Spring collection look for the up and coming executive." the master of ceremonies prattles over the speakers of the sound system in the Salle Montcalm of the Chateau Cross de San Fransisco.  Beaux' spring line launch is the talk of the BayPlex fashion elite, despite the disturbing news coming out of Seattle.

While Bailey sashays on the catwalk, across the large ball room and dressed in a maid's uniform, Laurie sets out the complimentary coffee service. The smell of real coffee wafts through the air...

...and the fire alarm begins howling.



<< REW - a week ago

Nighthawk's. Daly City.

The din of voices in the crowded bar makes it hard to pick out anything but snips of conversation.  "So strange what's going on in Seattle..." ... "Nutin' but a scam I'll bet... ... "Time to sell Renraku my shares..."

Sitting a bit awkwardly together, Laurie and Bailey are an unlikely looking pair in the corner booth.  At least down here the i-marines won't shake you down just for being elves, but your brilliant green eyes and pointed ears are pretty much the only things you seem to have in common. Well, maybe that and a growing sense of frustration.

As usual, Mindi is late...
Laurie
 player, 13 posts
Sun 30 Jan 2022
at 02:23
[January 2060] Cross Purposes (Crew: San Fran)
Laurie focused on the combat biker memorabilia scattered around the bar. She had just settled on a nearby lifesized mannequin wearing a cracked Timberwolves helmet. Sporting pieces of scorched and broken armor, beside the mannequin she watched the little display screen playing a loop of Nighthawk flipping over his handlebars after getting entangled in a Mustangs linebiker whip during the '52 Western Conference final.

Looking up for a moment, she thought she might catch the other elf woman's eye, maybe mention something about Nighthawk's career, but then thought better of it and looked away quickly. Her companion didn't seem the type of person who would enjoy a well placed riot carbine shot just off the flagsnag.

Dawson had said this contact would lead to a lucrative run, just the thing Laurie needed to jumpstart this new beginning. Hell, she had taken it so seriously that she had even cleaned up a bit for the meet, leaving her hair down so her head tattoos didn't show quite so much and leaving her favorite long coat at home in favor of a mostly clean jacket.

She just hoped she didn't blow it, hoped she wasn't blowing it now by letting the awkward silence extend even longer.
Bailey
 player, 35 posts
 Deadly
 With stilletos
Sun 30 Jan 2022
at 04:01
[January 2060] Cross Purposes (Crew: San Fran)
Bailey had gotten quick service, at least. She was the sort that bartenders paid a lot of attention to. Especially done up in her runner gear, all faux-leathers and form fit blacks. Her knee-high boots sporting those dangerous looking heels. But her order had slowly been forced to devolve. A gibson becoming a martini becoming a gin and tonic becoming a vodka on the rocks. That's with ice.

She shakes her glass a few times. Listening to the ice bounce and clink in the faux-glass. "I'm starting to get sick of her shit," the red head mutters, into the rim of her glass. "It's like this every time." Her eyes roll as she looks out of the corner of her eye at her companion. The two really didn't look like they should be together. Bailey so put together, so focused on her look. Every brush of make up perfect. Contours keeping her cheekbones sharp and lipstick making her glow. Every strand of crimson hair set perfectly in place.
Laurie
 player, 14 posts
Sun 30 Jan 2022
at 13:50
[January 2060] Cross Purposes (Crew: San Fran)
Laurie picked up her glass of water and took a slow sip while stifling a laugh. Seven hells, her companion even sounded perfect when she swore.

Truth be told, Laurie was probably somewhere between resentful and intimidated. This happened a lot when she was with other elves, especially the ones who weren’t born in megacity slums. She found them so elegant, so haughty, so intimidating.

Looking across the booth, Laurie couldn’t help but notice the less than favourable comparisons. Where Bailey wore form fitting black, Laurie had lose and dirty castoffs.  Designer boots worth a month’s wage contrasting with dirty old combat leather boots scavenged from a thrift store bin. While they shared the same perfect cheekbones, a hereditary gift, Laurie was far from perfectly contoured. In fact she had washed the dirt off her face in the bathroom sink just before her companion had arrived.  Hair clean, but disheveled, Laurie was no longer a filthy street rat, but she certainly didn’t put more than the most basic efforts into keeping up appearances.

Taking a deep breath, she steeled her resolve and set the glass on the table. ”This happen a lot?” she asked over the bar room din. ”Hope she is worth the wait.”
Bailey
 player, 38 posts
 Deadly
 With stilletos
Mon 31 Jan 2022
at 02:35
[January 2060] Cross Purposes (Crew: San Fran)
"Never yet," Bailey answers with a bit of a smirk. "But sometimes it's profitable." Her nails rap against the table top, increasingly impatient and annoyed with Mindi's various forms of shit.

"So, I guess we're like... Here for a bit," she shouldn't just pull out her phone. She knows it. But she didn't really have anything to talk to Laurie about. Just look at her. "Um, so. You're... A mage? My sister is studying that. But she's more like, um. A scholarly wizard sort. And that doesn't really strike me as like, your vibe? Or is there not really a difference?"

Awkward small talk. God. She'd been on dates with better chemistry that didn't get a call back.
Laurie
 player, 14 posts
Mon 31 Jan 2022
at 04:46
[January 2060] Cross Purposes (Crew: San Fran)
"She studies at a school? Like an apprentice or something?" Laurie asked with something of a sneer. "Definitely not my vibe, no. I strengthen my abilities alongside sisters of my own. We work as equals and learn from each other. Or, we did. It got complicated."

She pauses, crunching ice from her glass in thought, "You have gifts too, I can see that much, do you mind if I ask what ... ummm ... path you follow?" As an afterthought she adds, "It would help me to know. If you are injured, my healing... anyway, it helps if I know..."

This message was last updated by the player at 04:46, Mon 31 Jan.

Bailey
 player, 40 posts
 Deadly
 With stilletos
Tue 1 Feb 2022
at 04:28
[January 2060] Cross Purposes (Crew: San Fran)
"Oh, um," Bailey lowers her glass for a moment, lips pressing together as she thinks. "I'm not sure they have a name for what I do? I'm just like-" another pause, "A giant badass? Like, guns and backflips and I'm like seventy-five percent sure I literally cannot break a nail?" she holds her hand up, showing her full set of freshly manicured tips. "I haven't actually tested that, though, so who actually knows?"

"But I'm guessing you're more like... Spirits and raccoons and stuff? I mean, just from the sort of vibes I'm getting?"
Laurie
 player, 15 posts
Tue 1 Feb 2022
at 19:38
[January 2060] Cross Purposes (Crew: San Fran)
Raccoons?! What was the redhead on about?

“Oh, that is interesting.” Laurie replied. “I’ve never worked closely with someone whose abilities are so ... physical.” she said, keeping her eyes downcast coyly and sipping her water. “Oh, you meant Shamans!” she added, warming up a little as the oblique language about spirits and raccoons clicked into place in Laurie’s mind. “I can see and speak with those kinds of spirits, but they don’t come for me when I call. Can you see them?”
Bailey
 player, 41 posts
 Deadly
 With stilletos
Wed 2 Feb 2022
at 00:54
[January 2060] Cross Purposes (Crew: San Fran)
"No. But I've heard good things. Which I think kind of makes them like... The Radiohead of magic? Sort of one of the classics but also kinda like... It feels like work?" Bailey says, trying to make conversation while she waits for Mindi to finally show. "So you're more like... You said you can heal people? And what else? My sister does..." what did Jolene do, exactly? Bailey realized in the moment that she has absolutely no idea what her sister does. Either magically or while she's on campus.

"Not important," she waves the idea away. "But yeah. Agility. Strong. I'm told most people can't use two pistols at once which is honestly like, weird to me?"
Laurie
 player, 15 posts
Wed 2 Feb 2022
at 03:34
[January 2060] Cross Purposes (Crew: San Fran)
Laurie's genuine little laugh follows the Radiohead joke. "I could help you y'know? Help you see the spirits if you want to." she flashes a beat up old cigarette case with a few tightly rolled little spliffs inside. "Bit of weed, bit of deepweed. Helps open the mind to the other side." she shrugs, "If that's something you want to learn about." she adds hastily, maybe a little embarrassed that she brought it up.

Inelegantly changing the subject, she purses her lips and blows a stray hair out of her eyes before responding to Bailey's questions "I'm good at changing the physical world, I guess. Bending mana to make matter change." then leaning forward on her elbows, she asks "You use guns? With magic?"

This message was last updated by the player at 03:34, Wed 02 Feb.

Bailey
 player, 44 posts
 Deadly
 With stilletos
Thu 3 Feb 2022
at 04:31
[January 2060] Cross Purposes (Crew: San Fran)
"No, I use guns with my hands. My hands? They're magic." Bailey explains with a little smirk. "That's cool, though. Mana. Changing matter. Weed. Who doesn't love weed?"

She turns, giving a long sigh. "Where the hell is Mindi, anyway? She's supposed to be here. Though this isn't exactly her sort of scene..."
Mr. Johnson
 GM, 559 posts
Thu 3 Feb 2022
at 05:50
[January 2060] Cross Purposes (Crew: San Fran)
The minutes turn into an hour. Then half an hour more. Mindi is usually late, but this isn’t like her. A quarter hour of waiting sure, but she should have arrived over an hour ago, only to breeze in, adjust her plum-colored pantsuit and launch into business without so much as a ‘hello’.

No, this is off, even for her...
Laurie
 player, 16 posts
Thu 3 Feb 2022
at 15:16
[January 2060] Cross Purposes (Crew: San Fran)
“Is this a bust?” Laurie asked, trying not to be testy, but obviously frustrated. “Should we like, exchange numbers? So we can, you know, work together sometime.” she shrugs shyly. “Or see if you can speak with spirits. Or whatever.”
Bailey
 player, 46 posts
 Deadly
 With stilletos
Fri 4 Feb 2022
at 01:58
[January 2060] Cross Purposes (Crew: San Fran)
"Um... Not yet," Bailey says, answering both of Laurie's questions at once. She holds up a finger. Well... If Mindi wasn't here. Bailey calls up her phone. A few taps, and it's the number Mindi calls on. Who knows if it would actually go through? Bailey didn't exactly call Mindi that often.
Mr. Johnson
 GM, 563 posts
Fri 4 Feb 2022
at 03:16
[January 2060] Cross Purposes (Crew: San Fran)
The phone rings for a long while before someone picks up. There is no image on the screen, just a distant streetlight against the night sky. A well manicured hand with a broken fingernail briefly passes over the camera. A soft sound follows, something between a whimper and a pathetic moan.

"Help..."
Bailey
 player, 47 posts
 Deadly
 With stilletos
Sat 5 Feb 2022
at 15:02
[January 2060] Cross Purposes (Crew: San Fran)
"Oh, shit. Mindi? Where are you? What's going on?" Bailey asks, a bit of nervous in her voice. She quickly brings Laurie in on the com link, "Mindi? Tell me everything. We're coming. Laurie, we need to go now. Oh, shit."
Mr. Johnson
 GM, 577 posts
Sat 5 Feb 2022
at 18:39
[January 2060] Cross Purposes (Crew: San Fran)
"Unngh..."

A locator pin appears on Bailey's PocSec. It's only about a block from Nighthawk's.

There is nothing more as Mindi succumbs to unconsciousness.
Laurie
 player, 17 posts
Sat 5 Feb 2022
at 19:14
[January 2060] Cross Purposes (Crew: San Fran)
Laurie hastily gathered her things and slid out of the booth.

"This ever happen before?" she asked, "This woman, Mindi, does she have enemies that would do something like this?"
Bailey
 player, 50 posts
 Deadly
 With stilletos
Mon 7 Feb 2022
at 17:27
[January 2060] Cross Purposes (Crew: San Fran)
"Who doesn't?" Bailey answers, as she pushes up from the booth. Leaving her drink half full. Mindi was a fixer for a big agency. She doubtlessly had links to someone who did something, but most of her contacts were unknown to Bailey. "There's a location marker. C'mon. Let's go. We can figure it out on the way."
Mr. Johnson
 GM, 591 posts
Tue 8 Feb 2022
at 02:29
[January 2060] Cross Purposes (Crew: San Fran)
It’s a short run under street lights and cloudy sky. There is no bustling nightlife around Nighthawk’s, just a half-full parking lot, a few passers by and a Fiesta taco truck that has certainly seen better days. Most folks on the edge of the ‘plex tend to keep to themselves anyway.  A few miles North and you reach the first Imperial checkpoints. A few miles South and the city gives way to a long open stretch dotted with small squatter and nomad settlements all the way down to Pacifica.

All in all, not a bad spot to plan an ambush.

You find her lying unconscious on the damp pavement in an alley that reeks of urine and garbage. She is unconscious, breathing steadily, but shallowly, perhaps the result of a broken rib. Badly beaten, leg at an unnatural angle and dark blood stains on her cerise pant-suit.  Her blood smeared PocSec on the ground beside her, screen cracked from when she fell.

There is no sign of her assailants.
Bailey
 player, 53 posts
 Deadly
 With stilletos
Wed 9 Feb 2022
at 22:20
[January 2060] Cross Purposes (Crew: San Fran)
"Oh, shit, oh shit," Bailey mutters to herself as she rushes to Mindi. A look down, then back up toward Laurie, "You said you can heal, right? Well??" she urges, gathering the older woman up in her arms carefully. Obviously distressed, tears already building up in her eyes.
Laurie
 player, 19 posts
Thu 10 Feb 2022
at 18:20
[January 2060] Cross Purposes (Crew: San Fran)
Laurie enters the filthy alley gun drawn, the heavy Colt held at the ready while her other hand crackles with mana.  A sharp intake of breath reveals her nervousness as she lays eyes in the wounded fixer. ”I’ll see what I can do.” she says in reply while she has the presence of mind to shift her perceptions between her physical surroundings and a view of the etheric plane.

Once satisfied that no threat lurks in the spirit realm, she turns her perception to the woman lying bloodied in the pavement and begins to work a spell of healing.

This message was last updated by the player at 18:20, Thu 10 Feb.

Mr. Johnson
 GM, 602 posts
Thu 10 Feb 2022
at 02:46
[January 2060] Cross Purposes (Crew: San Fran)
Peering into the astral plane, there are sure signs of magical disturbances. The mana is warped and Mindi’s wounds were caused by mana being bent and warped into physical attacks. She was clearly attacked by a magically active being; a magician, a spirit or the killing hands of an adept.

Fighting the warped mana, Laurie begins her incantation…

Cast a spell
19:36, Today: Mr. Johnson, on behalf of Laurie, rolled 6 using 2d6 ((3,3)).
Fail take 1XP


But the lingering magical effect of the damage resists your spell and Mindi remains unconscious.

or…
19:36, Today: Mr. Johnson, on behalf of Laurie, rolled 6 using 2d6 ((3,3)).
Edge bump
Weak success


Mindi’s flesh is mended and she slowly regains consciousness, but forcing your spell to work against the lingering magical energies takes extra effort and a wave of fatigue washes over you.

Take 1 stun + fatiguing = 2 stun
Laurie
 player, 19 posts
Thu 10 Feb 2022
at 02:53
[January 2060] Cross Purposes (Crew: San Fran)
As the spell takes form and Mindi’s torn flesh knits back together, Laurie swoons and drops to her knees beside the wounded fixer. Emerald eyes closed, head bowed as she regains her composure, she struggles to speak as she gasps for breath. ”This was the work of… something… magical. Spell work… or something else...”

option 2
Mr. Johnson
 GM, 607 posts
Thu 10 Feb 2022
at 18:21
[January 2060] Cross Purposes (Crew: San Fran)
Laurie [/] [/] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] - Essence 5/6, Edge 3/4

Mindi slowly rouses from the fog of unconsciousness though, despite Laurie’s magic, the fixer’s breathing is still shallow. ”Something… grabbed me…” her words are slow and uncertain. ”Did you see? How did you find me?”
Bailey
 player, 55 posts
 Deadly
 With stilletos
Sat 12 Feb 2022
at 16:01
[January 2060] Cross Purposes (Crew: San Fran)
"The location tracker on your PocSec was on," Bailey says. Suddenly suspicious. There was clearly something up here. Something grabbing Mindi at random? She looks around, biting on her lip gently. "Laur, can you like, see anything?"

OOC: Gonna spend for Enhanced Awareness and see how much of a trap this is. Checking the Situation.
Mr. Johnson
 GM, 617 posts
Sat 12 Feb 2022
at 19:13
[January 2060] Cross Purposes (Crew: San Fran)
Rolling Dice…
11:57, Today: Mr. Johnson, on behalf of Bailey, rolled 3 using 2d6.  Enhanced Ability. Fail Take 1XP
11:58, Today: Mr. Johnson, on behalf of Bailey, rolled 4 using 2d6.  Check the situation. Fail Take 1XP
11:59, Today: Laurie rolled 8 using 2d6+1.  Check the Situation. Weak success

@Bailey - how many vodkas did you have at Nighthawks?!  Silver lining: take +1 Rep … see you in OOC XP and Nuyen to figure that out.


Mindi’s assailants were extremely efficient. There is little sign of their presence here. No scuff marks in the dirty alley way, nothing dropped or left behind. They were pros, and magical pros at that.  Examining the lingering traces of magical energy, Laurie notices nothing that would indicate the presence of a spirit or a spell as she knows it. This power came from within. Mindi was attacked by an adept.
Laurie
 player, 21 posts
Sat 12 Feb 2022
at 19:21
[January 2060] Cross Purposes (Crew: San Fran)
As the fuzziness cleared from her mind, Laurie followed the lines of mana in stinking the alley. The cold dead concrete revealed nothing.

”This isn’t spell work and I don’t sense the presence of a spirit. I’m only guessing, but I think this was someone trained to use their powers to fight. Why would an adept attack you?”
Mr. Johnson
 GM, 622 posts
Sun 13 Feb 2022
at 03:03
[January 2060] Cross Purposes (Crew: San Fran)
In the dim lights of the stinking alley, she replies, ”Adept? Like magic? It has to be related to out meeting with the Johnson. Too much of a coincidence that the attack happened at the same time as our call window. It’s a big payday, this must be the competition."

Wincing as she picks up her smashed phone and producing a key ring from her handbag, she adds, "We should get out of here. I'm parked around the corner."
Bailey
 player, 59 posts
 Deadly
 With stilletos
Mon 14 Feb 2022
at 21:56
[January 2060] Cross Purposes (Crew: San Fran)
"Yeah, I'm all for getting out of here..." Bailey puts an arm around Mindi, helping her as she limps toward her car.
Mr. Johnson
 GM, 642 posts
Tue 15 Feb 2022
at 05:50
[January 2060] Cross Purposes (Crew: San Fran)
Leaning into Bailey, Mindi hands over the keys as you approach a parking lot occupied by a gleaming Toyota Elite. Deep merlot that looks almost black in the night, chrome in all the right places. Her thumbprint disables the security and you are welcomed inside to stone grey synth leather seats and climate control that pushes back the cool damp winter air blowing in off the Pacific.

Tell it to them straight
”Because of the attack we’ve missed our call window with the prospective client.” she begins, wincing through the pain of getting settled into the back seat of the sedan.  ”Our client is looking for a change in employment, but unfortunately for her, Xerxes Research doesn’t have a very flexible contract renegotiation policy.  Some opposition was not entirely unexpected.” she continues letting you pull out into traffic leaving the ambush site behind in the rear view mirror.

”She wants out. The company wants to keep her. Everyday that passes means that the knot tightens around her.  There is a bright light on the horizon however. In two weeks, Beaux Retail is hosting a fashion show in the Cross arc. Ms J believes she can easily convince Xerxes to allow a bit of an outing to spend some cred at the show.” she pauses, absentmindedly picking at dried blood on her pant leg. ”That’s the time and place. Once she is out, there is another job waiting for her and the new employer will arrange for pick up at a time and place set by us.”
Bailey
 player, 62 posts
 Deadly
 With stilletos
Thu 17 Feb 2022
at 03:32
[January 2060] Cross Purposes (Crew: San Fran)
"So it's like, an extraction job?" Bailey says, checking the rear view cameras. She was pretty sure this car cost more than her apartment. Probably more than her parents' apartment. Just don't crash it.

"I could pick up a job at the show, easy. And Laur, you could... I dunno. Maybe get a job as a caterer? And then we get her out of the show and to the pick up spot? Easy peasy. Well, it would've been if they didn't already have a read on you."
Laurie
 player, 22 posts
Thu 17 Feb 2022
at 06:17
[January 2060] Cross Purposes (Crew: San Fran)
Laurie recoiled in dismay at the idea of posing as a wage slave for some posh arc fashion show, but kept her mouth shut about it. A corporate extraction job was a spring board into the big time shadowgame. Just the kind of score she had spent her life dreaming about. All the small time mule jobs and break-ins and running with go-gangs would be a distant memory. If it took a little humility and dressing up in a serving girl outfit to be seen as a pro, it would be a small price to pay.

“Maybe a bright side,” Laurie chimed in responding to Bailey’s comment about the competition, ”If they knew about the call and they attacked to try and keep us from ever making the meet with Ms J, maybe they think the pressure is off now. I mean, they did leave you in a pretty sorry state. Another hour and I’m not sure my magic would have been enough.”
Mr. Johnson
 GM, 665 posts
Sat 19 Feb 2022
at 03:08
[January 2060] Cross Purposes (Crew: San Fran)
"You two finding me is one helluva bright side, if you ask me." Mindi says closing her eyes and leaning back into the comfort of the sedan's seat. "Head south, down to San Mateo. I think I'd better avoid home and you two don't need to try and explain all this at an Imperial checkpoint. Which reminds me, you'll need decent identification to get into San Fran so you can get to Cross. What else can I do to help?"
Bailey
 player, 64 posts
 Deadly
 With stilletos
Sat 19 Feb 2022
at 18:33
[January 2060] Cross Purposes (Crew: San Fran)
"Well, a recommendation for the modeling gig couldn't hurt. Or an in for whatever will get Laur through the door?" Bailey turns onto the freeway at the first chance. Which was maybe not a great idea- she wasn't an experienced driver. City kid. But what other choice did she have here? She pushes a bit of hair back, trying to clear her head along with it.

"What sort of gear will we need? Something we can smuggle into the city. Or someway to get it past a check point."
Laurie
 player, 22 posts
Sat 19 Feb 2022
at 22:12
[January 2060] Cross Purposes (Crew: San Fran)
"If we had some legit IDs we could go into Cross and have a look around. Like we're just out for a trip to the mall. They don't hate elves enough to not take our cred." Laurie replied, looking out the passenger window as San Fran was left behind in the rearview cams. "We could at least get to know our way around the place, know what we're up against?"

"Smuggling our gear and ourselves in is an option too." she adds, "We could find a way in past the checkpoints then lay low until break out day."

This message was last updated by the player at 22:12, Sat 19 Feb.

Mr. Johnson
 GM, 677 posts
Sun 20 Feb 2022
at 18:11
[January 2060] Cross Purposes (Crew: San Fran)
"Iconic can help get you working covers that allow you into the show on the day of the event. Maybe even a few days earlier for rehearsals and set-up," Mindi replies. "We can see about setting it up so you are stay inside the city for a few days, maybe even at Chateau Cross so you have a legitimate reason for hanging around the place."
Bailey
 player, 66 posts
 Deadly
 With stilletos
Tue 22 Feb 2022
at 01:46
[January 2060] Cross Purposes (Crew: San Fran)
Bailey was up for a few nights a the Chateau Cross. Maybe along with a friendly, handsome barman? The possibilities were endless. But first, she's got to figure out how to not get murdered by corporate retention experts. That would really put a damper on the entire trip.

"We just need to get our stuff in as like, a dead drop. Then we get in on Iconic IDs and pick it up. Maybe like... A drone? Or invisibility? Or just hucking it really, really hard?"
Laurie
 player, 23 posts
Tue 22 Feb 2022
at 04:29
[January 2060] Cross Purposes (Crew: San Fran)
”Yeah, a drone drop somewhere we could pick up. Nothing too big, just body armor and a pistol.” Laurie said with a nod. ”If we think we need any other gear, we can probably pick it up at the arc. They probably have more than enough … stuff…” she added, finding it hard to articulate what they might need on a job like this. Making the jump from gutter punk to prime runner was bound to have a steep learning curve.
Bailey
 player, 67 posts
 Deadly
 With stilletos
Wed 23 Feb 2022
at 01:20
[January 2060] Cross Purposes (Crew: San Fran)
OOC: Ok, I think it's time to move from here into a planning stage. This scene feels over?
Mr. Johnson
 GM, 699 posts
Wed 23 Feb 2022
at 04:31
[January 2060] Cross Purposes (Crew: San Fran)
Sounds good... you have time for legwork outside the city, then we'll fast forward to the hotel to scout things out and do the planning.
Laurie
 player, 24 posts
Wed 23 Feb 2022
at 05:17
[January 2060] Cross Purposes (Crew: San Fran)
”Ummm, did we talk about how much this run pays?” Laurie asked a bit sheepishly.
Mr. Johnson
 GM, 705 posts
Thu 24 Feb 2022
at 02:44
[January 2060] Cross Purposes (Crew: San Fran)
"Payday only comes if you come through." Mindi replies, "Sixteen thousand all in. Eight each if it all goes well but you are on the hook for your own expenses." she adds briefly opening her eyes to glance at Bailey, "That includes room service darling."

On to Legwork... you have a week. Let me know what you want to accomplish before trying your fancy new IDs at an Imperial checkpoint.
Bailey
 player, 70 posts
 Deadly
 With stilletos
Thu 24 Feb 2022
at 02:54
[January 2060] Cross Purposes (Crew: San Fran)
"Hmph!" Bailey responds to the implied accusation with a little sound, mostly through her nose.

OOC: I'd like to know more about who it is we're extracting, hoping to learn more about why they want to keep her so bad and what sort of resistance we might expect.
Laurie
 player, 25 posts
Fri 25 Feb 2022
at 04:25
[January 2060] Cross Purposes (Crew: San Fran)
So I think Invisibility might come in handy here... Laurie wants to use her Talismonger connection to learn how to summon a teacher spirit who can help her or to buy a spell formula outright.

If there is time after trying to learn the spirit and spell; Laurie will look into Xeres Labs and see if she can find out what they are up to in San Fran.

Mr. Johnson
 GM, 713 posts
Sat 26 Feb 2022
at 02:48
[January 2060] Cross Purposes (Crew: San Fran)
You hold up with Mindi overnight at a San Mateo hotel. It's no Chateau Cross but Mindi needs a few days rest and a few days to make some calls to set up your cover story for the run.

@Bailey:

You check into the local Shadowbuzz, make a few calls, tap into your contacts looking for details on one Dr. Miranda Novak and...

Citation Needed 19:18, Today: Mr. Johnson, on behalf of Bailey, rolled 5 using 2d6+1 ((1,3)). Fail Take 1XP

...come up empty. No one has ever heard of this woman.

or...

...initially you come up empty, but a few days later, you receive a cryptic message from an unknown caller asking you to meet.

Follow this lead and (1) you get some useful info about Dr Novak, but (2) it will come at a cost.

@Laurie:


You check into the local talisleggers, make a few calls, tap into your contacts looking for a tutor and...

Go Shopping 19:30, Today: Laurie rolled 8 using 2d6+1 ((2,5)). Weak Success

...your contacts come through, but it's going to take a few days to get what you need.

Choose one:
-pay 1000, learn to summon an elemental with teacher aspect
-pay 3000, get the spell formula





Legwork (part 2):
Bailey can follow up on the lead about Dr Novak alone, and
Laurie can focus on learning the new spell, or

Bailey and Laurie to follow up on the lead together, but
Laurie can only bond with the spirit and won't learn the new spell, or

Bailey can change directions and chase down info the the potential opposition, and
Laurie can focus on learning the new spell.

Laurie
 player, 26 posts
Sat 26 Feb 2022
at 02:50
[January 2060] Cross Purposes (Crew: San Fran)
If Bailey wants to chase down the lead on Novak, Laurie will put the spell research aside to follow up the lead together.
Bailey
 player, 73 posts
 Deadly
 With stilletos
Mon 28 Feb 2022
at 01:18
[January 2060] Cross Purposes (Crew: San Fran)
Sounds good! Bailey will followup on the cryptic message, then they work on the lead!
Mr. Johnson
 GM, 732 posts
Tue 1 Mar 2022
at 03:06
[January 2060] Cross Purposes (Crew: San Fran)
OK, Bailey and Laurie are off to check out the cryptic message...

After the shaker in '52 the San Bruno waterfront was lost to the waters of San Fransisco Bay. Like carrion birds, Shiwase Atomics swooped in and snatched up the desolate and destroyed properties for a tenth of their former values. It took a few years of never ending construction, but the corp's vison was finally realized in late '56 and the San Bruno automated port facility came online.

Running along the Bay north of San Fran airport for about five miles, there is a massive drone and robot controlled warren of automation. Heavy machinery dedicated to unceasing, uninterrupted commerce that can be seen from low earth orbit if you know where to look. At any given time, dozens of ships are moored at the Shiwase piers where thousands of automatic robotic tenders swarm over them, their dog brains endlessly loading and unloading containers,  moving them to and from the army of waiting trucks and road trains.

This is where the cryptic message tells you to meet.

"Feel free to take my car darlings," Mindi says sleepily, "I'm in no shape to drive anyway, and ZipCar won't go past the exclusion zone around that Shiawase complex. Be careful, this stinks of a set-up."
Bailey
 player, 75 posts
 Deadly
 With stilletos
Thu 3 Mar 2022
at 01:51
[January 2060] Cross Purposes (Crew: San Fran)
Bailey could get used to this. Driving through town in a luxe car. The seats were more comfortable than anything in her apartment, including the bed. They may have to take it out to get a couple cocktails after the mission.

"What do you think? You get out and monitor from afar? Make sure no one's going to jump out at me. I can handle myself if something goes rough." Bailey asks as they drive across town. Headed toward the port. She didn't seem overly concerned with the possibility of a trap
Laurie
 player, 27 posts
Thu 3 Mar 2022
at 05:10
[January 2060] Cross Purposes (Crew: San Fran)
”You have some sort of astral over watch in mind?” Laurie asked, conscious of the fact that her Manhunter was no long range sniper rifle. ”I can do that, just need somewhere to hold up where I won’t be too vulnerable. You can drop me up here.” she adds, noticing an airport coffin hotel from a fairly reputable chain.

”I’ll follow you onto the site and let you know if I spot anything out of the ordinary. These guys had some juice too, so I’ll need to keep a low profile, magically speaking.”
Mr. Johnson
 GM, 749 posts
Fri 4 Mar 2022
at 06:04
[January 2060] Cross Purposes (Crew: San Fran)
Laurie patrols the Astral while Bailey goes in to the meet. Any other preparations?
Laurie
 player, 28 posts
Sat 5 Mar 2022
at 18:55
[January 2060] Cross Purposes (Crew: San Fran)
Laurie slots her cred at the coffin hotel's automated teller and climbs up the ladder well to the fifth level catwalk. Finding her tube, she shuffles herself inside.

Laying back and breathing deeply, she sets her heavy pistol on her chest and slowly eases her consciousness out of her body. Slipping through the cold dead walls of the hotel, she rises above the building and rises her arms and faces the dark sky over the bay. "Spirits of the east and of the air, I call on thee..."

summoning an air watcher elemental
Bailey
 player, 78 posts
 Deadly
 With stilletos
Sun 6 Mar 2022
at 03:53
[January 2060] Cross Purposes (Crew: San Fran)
Bailey slides her pistols under the seat of her car. Somewhere out of sight, but within easy reach if she needs to duck to avoid some fire. She breaths in, deep and steady, bracing herself. Her eyes scanning the port as she pulls the car slowly toward the meeting place. Steeling herself. Focusing in on herself. Her muscles, her body. Everything that she was likely going to need to be ready to unleash in a moment's notice.

OOC: I'd like to spend an Essence for Enhanced Ability. I'll raise Combat, just to play it ultra safe.
Mr. Johnson
 GM, 768 posts
Sun 6 Mar 2022
at 23:40
[January 2060] Cross Purposes (Crew: San Fran)
@Laurie

Conjure 16:33, Today: Mr. Johnson, on behalf of Laurie, rolled 6 using 2d6+1 ((3,2)). Fail Take 1XP


If the spirits hear, they do not come...

or Edge Bump Weak Success, essence 5/6, services remaining 1, take 1 stun

The small air elemental materializes to do your bidding...

@Bailey

Enhanced Ability 16:36, Today: Mr. Johnson, on behalf of Bailey, rolled 8 using 2d6+1 ((3,4)). Weak success


You feel the power surge through your muscles as your combat skills become magically enhanced.

Essence 5/6 ... choose an attribute that is weakened while Combat is enhanced
Bailey
 player, 79 posts
 Deadly
 With stilletos
Mon 7 Mar 2022
at 01:10
[January 2060] Cross Purposes (Crew: San Fran)
OOC: Let's lower Craft. I don't think I'll be doing too much solving here.
Laurie
 player, 29 posts
Mon 7 Mar 2022
at 02:50
[January 2060] Cross Purposes (Crew: San Fran)
Will take the success and the stun

Turning to the elemental, Laurie ordered it to watch her corporeal body and warn her if anyone attempts to unlock the coffin hatch or approaches in the astral plane.
Mr. Johnson
 GM, 771 posts
Mon 7 Mar 2022
at 04:17
[January 2060] Cross Purposes (Crew: San Fran)
The automated shipyard is a maze of metal, fumes and noise. It is a place of ceaseless movement where robots move shipping containers and smaller drones manage cargo handling tenders.

@Laurie It is disturbingly dark. There is no life, nothing glows between the hollow shells in the mechanical hive. No spirits wander here. It is abjectly and unequivocally dead.

@Bailey It is disturbingly dark. Spotlights shine outwards from the fence that surrounds the shipyard, but beyond the fence it is pitch black. As you approach, there is an automated gate, not even access is controlled by a living thing.

Laurie [/] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] - Essence 5/6
Bailey [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] - Essence 5/6

Laurie
 player, 30 posts
Thu 10 Mar 2022
at 05:55
[January 2060] Cross Purposes (Crew: San Fran)
Disgusted by the desolation created by profit incentives and rabid consumerism, Laurie floats down to the Toyota stopped near the gate.  She slides through the dead metal back into the passenger seat where she briefly manifests, a ghostly presence, glowing pale blue and translucent.

”No signs of ambush that I can see” she says.
Bailey
 player, 83 posts
 Deadly
 With stilletos
Sat 12 Mar 2022
at 15:02
[January 2060] Cross Purposes (Crew: San Fran)
"Great. Well... That's at least one thing we can cross off the list. But just in case, let's stay ready..." Bailey murmurs, unsure if Laurie can even hear her. She pulls the car up toward the gate, hoping that the automated sensors aren't looking for any confirmation other than the presence of a vehicle. If not, she readies herself to bound the gate. Not the easiest thing but... She'd leapt bigger.
Laurie
 player, 31 posts
Sat 12 Mar 2022
at 18:19
[January 2060] Cross Purposes (Crew: San Fran)
”I’ll be here.” Laurie replies fading into darkness. She flies up past the access gate, leaving the car behind and hovering above keeping watch.
Bailey
 player, 85 posts
 Deadly
 With stilletos
Sun 13 Mar 2022
at 16:06
[January 2060] Cross Purposes (Crew: San Fran)
Bailey slides from the car, and looks up and over the fence. Well... There really only looked to be one way up. She bounces from one foot to the other for a moment. Shaking out, inhaling deeply. A bolt, a running sprint toward the gate. Bouncing her foot off the wall, taking it in bounds.
Mr. Johnson
 GM, 796 posts
Mon 14 Mar 2022
at 01:55
[January 2060] Cross Purposes (Crew: San Fran)
Bailey is up and over the fence in an effortless instant. Inside the compound, the darkness envelops you, after about fifty meters you have only the dim moonlight to light your way. Around you it is a wall of sound. Grinding metal on metal, the high pitched whine of drone gyroscopes and sputtering electric engines are all that greets you.

High above, Laurie spots a Hyundai Equus approaching the gate. It comes to a stop back where you have left Mindi's Elite. Inside she sees the glowing life essence of two passengers but there is something strange traveling with them. Something walking between the world of life and death. A magically animated abomination, only alive by the barest of definitions, it has been so tainted by the machine.

The Equus comes to a stop and the three passengers get out. The driver (peer) checks over Mindi's Elite while the passenger (peer) and the cyborg (nemesis) keep lookout.

Roll out the red carpet: this must be the folks who asked for a meeting. Guess it's time to chat.

or

This is no place for a meeting, it's obviously an ambush: you have the drop on them, you only get one chance to light them up using the element of surprise.

Bailey
 player, 88 posts
 Deadly
 With stilletos
Tue 15 Mar 2022
at 00:25
[January 2060] Cross Purposes (Crew: San Fran)
If this were a trap... They probably would've opened fire from afar. No reason to drive up. Bailey nods, biting her lip. And she heads back up, over the other side. Landing between the Elite and the fence.

"Hey," she says, leaning over the hood of the car. "You rang?"
Mr. Johnson
 GM, 802 posts
Tue 15 Mar 2022
at 02:54
[January 2060] Cross Purposes (Crew: San Fran)
As Bailey sails over the fence, three guns come up...

Bailey:
"Hey," she says, leaning over the hood of the car. "You rang?"


...pistols bark in reply.

Combat!
Bailey [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] :: Armor 2 / Edge 3 / Essence 5
Laurie [/] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] :: Incorporeal / Edge 2 / Essence 5

Thug - Driver [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] :: Armor 1
Thug - Passenger [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] :: Armor 1
Cyberzombie [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] :: Armor 3

(1) Laurie has the drop
(2) Bailey has cover
(3) None of the threats have cover

Laurie
 player, 32 posts
Tue 15 Mar 2022
at 03:15
[January 2060] Cross Purposes (Crew: San Fran)
Drek, drek, drek. Laurie cursed mentally, hovering over the pitched battle.  Spirits of the south, spirits of earth and stone, I call on thee, bring forth a protector...

Not taking any chances, spending 2 essence, 1 edge to boost the summoning

As the spirit materialized, Laurie pointed to Bailey. Let no harm come to her.
Mr. Johnson
 GM, 803 posts
Tue 15 Mar 2022
at 05:37
[January 2060] Cross Purposes (Crew: San Fran)
Conjure 23:27, Today: Mr. Johnson, on behalf of Laurie, rolled 6 using 2d6 ((5,1)). boosted WEAK SUCCESS

Another wave of fatigue washes over Laurie as dirt swirls up in a tsunami of dust and large chunks of asphalt break free of the driveway, coalescing into a towering creature of rock. It stands between the goons and Bailey, bullets pinging harmlessly off its concrete skin.

Combat!
Bailey [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] :: Armor 2 / Edge 3 / Essence 5
Laurie [/] [/] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] :: Incorporeal / Edge 1 / Essence 3
Earth Protector [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] :: Armor 1 / Services 1

Thug - Driver [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] :: Armor 1
Thug - Passenger [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] :: Armor 1
Cyberzombie [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] :: Armor 3

Bailey
 player, 90 posts
 Deadly
 With stilletos
Tue 15 Mar 2022
at 21:32
[January 2060] Cross Purposes (Crew: San Fran)
Shit. This was... Not great. Bailey ducks down behind the Elite. The door opens, and she pulls her pistols from beneath the seat. Ok. Note one. Don't leave your guns in the car. Now for part two- getting into position. Bailey leaps forward, bounding over the trunk of the car. To the other side of the parked Hyundai. That would be a better position to open fire from. Hopefully.
Mr. Johnson
 GM, 806 posts
Thu 17 Mar 2022
at 02:01
[January 2060] Cross Purposes (Crew: San Fran)
The sudden appearance of a ten foot tall monster of asphalt and concrete seems to have shaken the two goons. One hesitates, the other fires wildly.

The cyborg seems to be unaffected and it’s smartlink tracks Bailey as she dives for new cover. Shotgun slugs fired from its cyber arm are getting closer…

Fight? Flight?
Bailey
 player, 92 posts
 Deadly
 With stilletos
Fri 18 Mar 2022
at 19:33
[January 2060] Cross Purposes (Crew: San Fran)
Fight!

Bailey's pistols come up. She opens fire, taking aim at the cyborg. If they wanted to play rough...
Laurie
 player, 33 posts
Sat 19 Mar 2022
at 03:50
[January 2060] Cross Purposes (Crew: San Fran)
From the ethereal sidelines, Laurie calls on her power to create a chaotic swirling mass of confusion around the attackers...

Cast a Spell, Chaotic World, 3 Essence
Mr. Johnson
 GM, 814 posts
Sat 19 Mar 2022
at 21:49
Re: [January 2060] Cross Purposes (Crew: San Fran)
Laurie: Cast a Spell 14:20, Today: Mr. Johnson, on behalf of Laurie, rolled 7 using 2d6+1 ((1,5)). WEAK SUCCESS

Bailey: Rock & Roll 14:21, Today: Mr. Johnson, on behalf of Bailey, rolled 8 using 2d6+2 ((2,4)). WEAK SUCCESS // Gunfighter -1 Essence


Laurie is again hit with a wave of fatigue as she conjures a swirling storm of chaotic light and sound that surrounds your attackers. Essence -3, Take 1 Stun, Bailey takes +1 forward (sustained)

Bailey dives for one of the thugs, grabbing him in a tight headlock and using him as a human shield, firing her pistols with preternatural accuracy, sparks flying off the cyborg's metal chest. Dmg 4 / two guns +2 / Armor -3 / AP cancels 1 armor = 5 halved = 3

The remaining thug and cyborg return fire, with complete disregard for their comrade. Dmg 4 / multiple shooters +1 / Chaotic World -1 = 4 split between Bailey and Thug

The thug is struck full in the chest. Armor -1 / AP cancels 2 armor = 2

And bullets tear chunks of concrete out of the monster as it moves to protect Bailey. Armor -1 / AP cancels 2 armor = 2

Combat!
Bailey [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] :: Armor 2 / Edge 3 / Essence 4
Laurie [/] [/] [/] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] :: Incorporeal / Edge 1 / Essence 0
Earth Protector [X] [X] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] :: Armor 1 / Services 1

Thug - Driver [X] [X] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] :: Armor 1
Thug - Passenger [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] :: Armor 1
Cyberzombie [X] [X] [X] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] :: Armor 3

Laurie
 player, 34 posts
Wed 23 Mar 2022
at 03:36
Re: [January 2060] Cross Purposes (Crew: San Fran)
It was all Laurie could do to sustain her magic against the fatigue and strain. It could be worse though, she could be out there in the meat world dodging bullets too.

Sustain Chaotic World, Bailey takes +1 forward
Bailey
 player, 95 posts
 Deadly
 With stilletos
Sun 27 Mar 2022
at 14:41
[January 2060] Cross Purposes (Crew: San Fran)
The man Bailey had deadlocked spins away as she shoves him. A kick to the chest, a bullet aimed toward his hip. Sending him tumbling back into the other thug that had been in the car. Bailey was already on the move, though. Keeping herself mobile- dodging bullets was way, way easier than not bleeding out. One of her guns ejecting the clip. Replaced with a flip of her wrist, more bullets leaving her chic little half jacket.

OOC: More! Ass kicking!
Mr. Johnson
 GM, 833 posts
Sun 27 Mar 2022
at 16:31
Re: [January 2060] Cross Purposes (Crew: San Fran)
Laurie: sustains her spell

Bailey: Rock & Roll 09:23, Today: Mr. Johnson, on behalf of Bailey, rolled 10 using 2d6+2 ((3,5)). STRONG SUCCESS


Laurie's magic provides ample distraction. Bailey takes +1 forward (sustained)

While Bailey's pistol bark in angry reply to the ambushers. The shot to the hip grievously wounds the Driver and he drops to the ground. Dmg 4 / Armor -1 / AP cancels 1 armor / spell +1 = 5

The goons return fire, but Bailey moves too fast and their bullets all go wide.

Combat!
Bailey [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] :: Armor 2 / Edge 3 / Essence 4
Laurie [/] [/] [/] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] :: Incorporeal / Edge 1 / Essence 0
Earth Protector [X] [X] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] :: Armor 1 / Services 1

Thug - Driver [X] [X] [X] [X] [X] [X] [X] [ ] :: Armor 1 - prone, badly wounded
Thug - Passenger [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] :: Armor 1
Cyberzombie [X] [X] [X] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] :: Armor 3

Bailey
 player, 98 posts
 Deadly
 With stilletos
Tue 29 Mar 2022
at 00:18
[January 2060] Cross Purposes (Crew: San Fran)
"Guns are dangerous, boys," Bailey quips, as the shots ring against the fence and containers behind her. It was time to make sure none of those were so dangerous. She ruses forward, closing range. Hoping to get too close for them to use their pistols effectively. While she, meanwhile, wielded her's like a pair of kama.
Mr. Johnson
 GM, 839 posts
Tue 29 Mar 2022
at 03:57
[January 2060] Cross Purposes (Crew: San Fran)
Taking the easy target and shooting at the Thug, or trying to knock down the bigger treat and shooting at the Cyborg?
Bailey
 player, 99 posts
 Deadly
 With stilletos
Tue 29 Mar 2022
at 23:50
[January 2060] Cross Purposes (Crew: San Fran)
Ack, I completely forgot to specify. I think it's time to lay some more hurt on the cyborg.
Mr. Johnson
 GM, 851 posts
Wed 30 Mar 2022
at 19:56
[January 2060] Cross Purposes (Crew: San Fran)
@Bailey - I'll assume Gunfighter again since the cyborg's armor is so tough.

Guided by your essence, bullets fly...

Rock and Roll 12:43, Today: Mr. Johnson, on behalf of Bailey, rolled 12 using 2d6+2 ((4,6)). STRONG SUCCESS // Gunfighter -1 Essence

...scoring hits on centre of mass of the cyborg, sparks and shiny bits of metal flying from it's armored chest. Dmg 4 / Two guns +2 / Gunfighter +1 / Armor -3 / AP cancels 1 armor = 5 Under the onslaught the cyborg drops to one knee, green fluid from its chest mingling with bright red blood. Twitching and firing wildly the 'borg struggles to get back to its feet.

With his friend bleeding out and seeing their heavy hitter begin to falter, the second thug decides he doesn't like these odds and makes a break for the Hyundai.

Combat!
Bailey [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] :: Armor 2 / Edge 3 / Essence 3
Laurie [/] [/] [/] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] :: Incorporeal / Edge 1 / Essence 0
Earth Protector [X] [X] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] :: Armor 1 / Services 1

Thug - Driver [X] [X] [X] [X] [X] [X] [X] [ ] :: Armor 1 - prone, badly wounded
Thug - Passenger [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] :: Armor 1 - fleeing
Cyberzombie [X] [X] [X] [X] [X] [X] [X] [X] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] :: Armor 3

Laurie
 player, 35 posts
Wed 30 Mar 2022
at 20:00
[January 2060] Cross Purposes (Crew: San Fran)
With the cyborg faltering, Laurie calls out to the spirit, "Restrain him." using the second (last) service)

Then, seeing the thug making a break for it, Laurie pushes her magic toward the Hyundai trying to impede his escape.
Bailey
 player, 101 posts
 Deadly
 With stilletos
Fri 1 Apr 2022
at 00:06
[January 2060] Cross Purposes (Crew: San Fran)
Bailey plants a foot on the cyborg's shoulder. Kicking him back, to the ground. Her guns re-train, focusing in on stopping the car. Unleashing a swarm of bullets toward the nearest tire.
Mr. Johnson
 GM, 857 posts
Sat 2 Apr 2022
at 19:44
[January 2060] Cross Purposes (Crew: San Fran)
@Laurie Stay Frosty 12:38, Today: Mr. Johnson, on behalf of Laurie, rolled 12 using 2d6+1 ((6,5)). STRONG SUCCESS

@Bailey Rock and Roll 12:39, Today: Mr. Johnson, on behalf of Bailey, rolled 10 using 2d6+2 ((2,6)). STRONG SUCCESS


The asphalt golem wrestles the injured cyborg, subduing him while Bailey keeps her pistol trained on his head.

As the Hyundai's tire explodes and the magic swirls around him, the fleeing thug gets the hint and drops to his knees, hands above his head.

Combat!
Bailey [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] :: Armor 2 / Edge 3 / Essence 3
Laurie [/] [/] [/] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] :: Incorporeal / Edge 1 / Essence 0
Earth Protector [X] [X] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] :: Armor 1 / Services 1

Thug - Driver [X] [X] [X] [X] [X] [X] [X] [ ] :: Armor 1 - prone, badly wounded
Thug - Passenger [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] :: Armor 1 - surrendered
Cyberzombie [X] [X] [X] [X] [X] [X] [X] [X] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] :: Armor 3 subdued

Bailey
 player, 103 posts
 Deadly
 With stilletos
Wed 6 Apr 2022
at 23:55
[January 2060] Cross Purposes (Crew: San Fran)
"So. Who wants to start talking about what's going on here first? Because-" Bailey drops a clip, reloading her pistol with a heavy click, "I have prizes for the one who doesn't?"
Laurie
 player, 36 posts
Fri 8 Apr 2022
at 03:27
[January 2060] Cross Purposes (Crew: San Fran)
Dropping the spell, Laurie remains silent and invisible to the mundane attackers, preferring to be an ace in the hole and keep her identity secret from the assailants to help retain the element of surprise for when the time came to get into Cross.

While Bailey shakes down their assailants, Laurie breathes in deeply, centring herself and embracing the flow of mana. (OOC: Centring to regain some juice)
Mr. Johnson
 GM, 871 posts
Sun 10 Apr 2022
at 06:13
[January 2060] Cross Purposes (Crew: San Fran)
@Laurie Center - 23:06, Today: Mr. Johnson, on behalf of Laurie, rolled 1 using 1d6 ((1)).

We got no beef with you," stammers the thug who tried to make his escape. Th- this is just biz, ya know? Mr J hired us to geek you. We didn't ask a lot of questions."

With Bailey firmly in control of the situation and the magical monster of concrete pinning the goon's biggest gun to the ground, the thug seems willing to do just about anything to save his skin.


Bailey [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] :: Armor 2 / Edge 3 / Essence 3
Laurie [/] [/] [/] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] :: Incorporeal / Edge 1 / Essence 1
Earth Protector [X] [X] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] :: Armor 1 / Services 1

Thug - Driver [X] [X] [X] [X] [X] [X] [X] [ ] :: Armor 1 - prone, badly wounded
Thug - Passenger [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] :: Armor 1 - surrendered
Cyberzombie [X] [X] [X] [X] [X] [X] [X] [X] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] :: Armor 3 subdued

Bailey
 player, 105 posts
 Deadly
 With stilletos
Wed 13 Apr 2022
at 22:58
[January 2060] Cross Purposes (Crew: San Fran)
"Oh. So you're saying I've got to go up the chain? Well... Why don't you set up the meet? Get Mister J, tell him you're ready to collect. We're with the target- we'll get you whatever you need to prove it. Just tell us where the meet is," Bailey says, her smile quickly returning. A finger snaps, "You've never lost a fight so good in your life!"

"Set it up for tonight. And keep in mind- this is what happened when you ambushed us. Just imagine what would happen in a fair fight."
Mr. Johnson
 GM, 885 posts
Sun 17 Apr 2022
at 18:02
[January 2060] Cross Purposes (Crew: San Fran)
@Laurie
Invisible to the goons, you look on while Bailey plays the heavy. From your viewpoint on the etheric plane, you can see life's essence ebbing away from the grievously wounded goon. He desperately needs medical attention. The cyborg isn't getting any better either, he's got maybe a day before he is too far down the spiral to recover. Your healing formula may help the hip-shot goon, but the corruption of machine in the cyborg makes it impossible for you to weave mana to heal him.

@Bailey
"I only have an LTG to call once the job is done." the unwounded goon stammers. "The meet was set up through a fixer. Guy named Marco. Runs a bail bonds biz out of a strip mall off Persia Ave."

District 10, residential and commercial neighbourhoods that have long since been swallowed by the sprawl. These densely packed C-zone streets are where occupied San Fran begins under the shadow of CTTR 280. It's tough to get north of the freeway without the right ID and the right connections, but down in D-10, you only have the Knights to worry about if you decide to pay Marco a visit.
Bailey
 player, 107 posts
 Deadly
 With stilletos
Sun 1 May 2022
at 01:14
[January 2060] Cross Purposes (Crew: San Fran)
"Well... That'll do. Congratulations. You guys win the big prize- you don't get yourself murdered tonight," Bailey rolls her eyes. She steps away, back toward the car. Urging Laurie toward her. "Alright. We go hunt down this Marco guy and try to figure out whose after our girl? Or do we let these guys get paid and throw some bad information into their mix?"
Laurie
 player, 37 posts
Sat 7 May 2022
at 03:20
[January 2060] Cross Purposes (Crew: San Fran)
"They need the payday. Only one of these guys will live to see another day." the witch says matter-of-factly as she materializes by Bailey's side. "I say we go after this Marco guy. With this little ambush they got to make the first move, let's see how we do when we have the element of surprise."