[December 2059] Mayhem and Mistletoe (Crew: Oakland)   Posted by Mr. Johnson.Group: 0
Acme
 player, 48 posts
 Coyote Shaman
 Avowed Pain In The Ass
Sun 1 Mar 2020
at 06:36
[December 2059] Mayhem and Mistletoe
Acme yawned a bit with a smile on his face.  The teaching had been taking a bit more drain on him, mostly because he was actually summoning more and more complex spirits for demonstration.  It was of course a guideline; he had students of many traditions learning from him rather than just shamans, and for that he was actually happy to be able to reach them.  For now however, he would readjust, see if the People's University would need him for the next term, and keep an eye on things in the area.  The Alliance and other resistance groups in the Oakland/Berkeley area were good resources to talk to, gather where they were and what they could share about the corps.

But right now, he wanted some tea.  "Can I offer you anything, Professor?" he asked the spirit.
Mr. Johnson
 GM, 134 posts
Sun 1 Mar 2020
at 16:46
[December 2059] Mayhem and Mistletoe
@Grendel: “Uggg, I'm on until this evening.” she says with a growl.  “The other guy just quit and, like I said, Lapp spends most of his time down in Halferville.  The sign out front should say 'Jenny's'... but here, I'll get you my LTG number... call me OK?  I'll show you that place in Orktown?” flipping her PocSec back open, she pairs with yours and blip you've got her number.  Assuming you allow her device to connect to yours you gain a contact.

When you open your PocSec, you quickly note the local buzz about the Christmas carnival keeps popping up on Shadowlands.  Planning for the security jobs at several Apogee sponsored live shows and matrix live simcast seems to be well underway.  The lead security contract has gone to rough and ready private military contractor, Global Executive Interventions.  Not taking any chances, given GEI's recent difficulties in the Southeast Asian warzone, the studio is working with the October 25 Alliance. Shadow buzz is there is legit security work out there.  Should be a nice easy payday so long as you don't mind the prospect of working with a bunch of trigger happy mercs.

You also have a message waiting:

:: LTG# 206 (52-4058) :: {Pearlman}
Gren? Warhawk vouched for you... said you were reliable... I'm sorry to see him go but hope you can step-up to take his place... if you're interested in some security work for these concert jobs that looking for local talent.  Matchsticks. Tonight. 8pm – P’
>>>This message includes a pin drop to Matchsticks (a bar in downtown Oakland)

@Kord
You've been in town for two days and you've barely had six hours of sleep.  As soon as the suborb hit the tarmac at Oakland Intentional, the team has been running full-tilt.  Planning for the security jobs at several Apogee sponsored shows has been a full time job.  With only a half-company at her disposal, Malvalda is tapped out for soldiers and with your experience, you're acting as her second in command.  Not taking any chances, the studio's lead event planner, a low level executive named Zavier Devlin, whom Malvada has nicknamed Bossman, has recently solicited help from the local metahuman equal rights group.  With connections in the local community, the October 25 Alliance, have put the word out and are hiring local 'runners.  The prospect of working with unknown freelancers is less than appealing, but, under the circumstances, GEI can't be too picky.  At least it's October 25 and not the unpredictable and potentially violent Metahuman Peoples' Army.

On your PocSec this morning as you rouse from a few hours sleep in the coffin hotel where GEI has you all holed up:

:: LTG# 670 (34-1211) :: {Malvada}
Hey, it's Mal.  Bossman is meeting with some of the hired help at one of the venues tonight.  I'll send you a pin.  Can you take this one?  I'm tied up with the fiasco that Scherwinski caused over at The Parish.
>>>This message includes a pin drop to Matchsticks (a bar in downtown Oakland)
>>>This message includes a meeting request that is automatically loaded to your schedule for 2000hrs tonight.

@Hellfire
:: LTG# 709 (88-9973) :: {Spriggan}
gave your number to this guy i know named pearlman cause he said he got some work yu might be interested in security work for those concerts everyone is talking about think you can get me in for free (jk) kiss kiss

:: LTG# 206 (52-4058) :: {Unknown} – save as new contact y/n(?)
Got your number from Spriggan.  Pretty lady but she talks too damn much...  maybe we can do some biz?  If you're interested in some security work for these local concert jobs, be at Matchsticks tonight 8pm and feel free to bring your wiz partner along – Pearlman
>>>This message includes a pin drop to Matchsticks (a bar in downtown Oakland)

@Acme: Your sense of equality never fails to surprise me song-singer comes the spirit's voice in your mind What do I want?  Well, as you ask, let me take a moment to teach.  It is my nature after all. it adds with a paternal chuckle My plane is closely aligned with yours.  I exist, in this form anyway, only because this place exists as you see it now.  I've come to enjoy the way I am.  I fear the way things are going across the bay.  Among my kind we feel the ripples of man's activity.  We are spirits of your essence after all. A reflection of you.  Imagine,two whole races of beings so intrinsically linked, so completely tied to one another, so deeply ingrained and yet so many on both sides of the relationship completely ignorant.  All I ask of you, is that if a reckoning comes, remember those of us on the other side who are caught in it too.

You also have a message waiting on your PocSec:

:: LTG# 804 (72-9021) :: {Hellfire}
Got biz.  You looking?  Tonight at 8.
>>>This message includes a pin drop to Matchsticks (a bar in downtown Oakland)

This message was last edited by the GM at 16:47, Sun 01 Mar 2020.

Grendel
 player, 44 posts
Sun 1 Mar 2020
at 17:21
[December 2059] Mayhem and Mistletoe
At around 1830 Grendel had decided conclusively that it had been the longest day of his life.

Sitting in his truck (which he still thought of as Warhawks truck) just down the street from Matchsticks he replayed the events of the day over and over again in his head. He had even killed the music as it had started to mess with his concentration.

What am I doing out here? was the question that kept coming back around as he stared out at the endless traffic that crept by and the stream of people on the sidewalks

Hopefully getting paid was the sensible answer. He needed NuYen. Eco-philosophy and and self sufficiency was good, but he was about to have rent to pay, grocery bills, things he would have had to tackle years ago if he had been living anywhere developed.

Playing soldier... was another distressingly common answer that he gave himself. He had no training, no resume, no certifications. He could barely find his way around the city for hestaby's sake. He was about to be working with legit Shadow runners, professional Mercs and the like, at a venue in the BayPlex so crowded that his heart rate picked up just thinking about the crowds.

But you're modded out, your got some ware on board... he answered back. Yeah, borrowed at his family's expense. He had not even earned it.

And you did hunt down and kill a Peryton bare handed.... Yeah, don't mention that. Seriously. They'll think your fraggin weird.

The big troll blew out a long breath and let his head fall back against the seat rest with a thud.

Warhawk vouched for you... he almost said it aloud. That was true. That guy had been here, done this, and he felt that Grendel could do it too. He was back there with the Clan, his family somewhere up north probably talking about how it had all went at the bus station. They were rooting for him, counting on him. Expecting him to come back back with his own cool stories, and money, skills, contacts. It was time to start giving back.

He glanced at the dim green display, 1941, time to go.

He reached down and grabbed the sawed off, checked the chambers again and then climbed his way out of the truck. He needed a damn holster or something, but for now he slung it under his jacket over one shoulder on a piece of knotted webbing. It was janky for sure and it was still obvious he was armed, but it kept it politely out of sight at least.

It was embarrassing to be meeting a bunch of Mercs like this, but less embarrassing than showing up unarmed, hopefully.

He made his way towards Matchsticks, and then around back towards what he hoped was the "employee" entrance.
Mr. Johnson
 GM, 137 posts
Wed 4 Mar 2020
at 01:16
[December 2059] Mayhem and Mistletoe
@Kord

Bleary eyed and facing the prospect of another long and sleepless night, you're in no particular rush to roll out of your coffin, but a few hours spent with a luke warm soykaf in the Company's makeshift command post on the telecom should provide some useful intel.

Citation Needed + specific questions (security) = boosted
19:41, Today: Mr. Johnson, on behalf of Kord, rolled 8 using 2d6+1 ((1,6)).
Weak Success


The matrix footprint for Matchsticks itself is dead on arrival.  The bar's node hasn't been updated in ages and seems to be relying on the fact that they hosted Maria Mercurial back in '48 before she hit it big with Puta.  Clearly the place survived the quake in '51 but they don't seem very interested in keeping their virtual footprint vibrant and attractive.  Nightlife in this part of the 'plex must move by word of mouth and reputation, not by flash advertising.

The more recent hits all point to lax security you would expect out in the Oakland 'plex.  A stabbing out front late last year, probably linked to the MPA.  Shots fired during a gangbanger turf war that spilled into the streets three months ago.  To top it all off, CFS weapons permits for just about everywhere outside San Fran are notoriously easy to fake.

You find what you want to learn, but... choose one:
(1) It takes extra time and you have to rush to make it to the meeting on time
(2) Your search raises a red flag in your system. A smartframe was monitoring your telecom and your system security program/decker alerts you in time that you can switch off without the malware accessing your node.

Mr. Johnson
 GM, 139 posts
Wed 4 Mar 2020
at 02:18
[December 2059] Mayhem and Mistletoe
@Kord if you choose the smartframe and identify an attempt to breach your company’s security protocols, take +1 XP
Kord
 player, 22 posts
Wed 4 Mar 2020
at 22:51
[December 2059] Mayhem and Mistletoe

Earlier....


The Matrix profile of Matchsticks had turned out to be what he expected. Somewhere that was either off the grid or as near as damn it, a good place for a meet and an interesting location for a gig, one he expected would require a lot of studio techs to ensure secure and reliable broadcasts as there probably wouldn't be many facilities on side. He also wondered just how much Devlin, or Bossman as Mal seemed to have nicknames him, would stick out in the bar.

The attempt to breach GEI's security protocols by a smartframe on his search was interesting and he wondered whether it was just some malware trying to access the GEI node or something connected to his comms unit that the security software had picked up. He decided to report it to the decker providing matrix security for GEI, suffering a series of patronising comments about following correct security protocols in the process, even though he had done so. He was conscious that he might well need a decker in the future and he'd heard that one of the GEI team did work on the side, private commissions off GEI's books as such.


OOC: He will take option 2 and will try to use the opportunity to develop a decker contact.



Now....

Kord slipped the GEI Corporate Creadstick back into a pocket of his armoured jacket and clambered out of the taxi, an old fashioned affair that included an actual physical driver who certainly wasn't short of opinions. The wonders of expenses! The taxi had brought him to an address just down the road from this bar Matchsticks and a quick glance around confirmed that the neighborhood fitted the expectations he had formed on his way there. His driver had warned him that he might wait for a while to get a ride back and that the location premium would rise as the evening progressed. The area clearly had a reputation.

Kord is slightly taller than your average Ork, standing nearly six and a half feet tall, but has a slim and athletic build for one of his race, muscular but not a power lifter, probably only weighing about 275lbs or so. He looks to be in his late twenties, which is a decent age for an Ork, though he moves like someone younger, the years not appearing to have slowed him down at all, quite possibly the result of cybernetic and bioware enhancements. The only obvious implant though is a simple chipjack located just behind his right ear.

As is typical of his race he has two protruding short tusks as well as pointed ears, though both are quite subtle compared to some. His skin has a tanned complexion to it, probably the result of working outdoors in sunny climates, his dark brown hair is kept clipped in a short mohawk and his eyes are hidden behind a pair of red tinted, NuWave smart goggles.

According to Mal, Bossman seemed to think that the GEI issue uniform didn't fit with the image that the studio was trying to project so all of the security teams had been instructed to dress in nondescript clothing that would fit in with the crowd. Consequently Kord was dressed in his clubbing gear, a heavy armoured coat, styled to look like a black combat jacket, covered in pockets like an assault vest, over a white t-shirt with the symbol for the neo-punk band Rancid Anomaly on it and black cargo pants festooned with buckles and unnecessary straps.

Shifting his holdall he adjusted it so that it hung easily over his left shoulder, continuing to scan the street while he did so. Seeing nothing obviously untoward he headed towards the bar, his high leg combat boots crunching something underfoot as he strode across the road. There were gang markings on the walls, a symbol that he didn't recognise, and he initiated a search on his PocSec from his goggles, keen to understand who controlled the ground in this area and whether it was contested or not. The club was probably paying protection to someone and his guess was the local gang.

Approaching the bouncer on the front door he nodded in greeting. "Hey bud. I've got a meet with Zavier Devlin. He's the Corp hiring this place." The HUD from his goggles showed the time to be 19:48 so it was still quite early, not just for the meet but for patrons at the bar as well. There wasn't any queue for Matchsticks at this time of night and there was only a single bouncer controlling entry but he suspected that it would hot up later, hopefully for whatever act the studio was promoting.
Acme
 player, 51 posts
 Coyote Shaman
 Avowed Pain In The Ass
Thu 5 Mar 2020
at 01:20
Re: [December 2059] Mayhem and Mistletoe
quote:
@Acme: Your sense of equality never fails to surprise me song-singer comes the spirit's voice in your mind What do I want?  Well, as you ask, let me take a moment to teach.  It is my nature after all. it adds with a paternal chuckle My plane is closely aligned with yours.  I exist, in this form anyway, only because this place exists as you see it now.  I've come to enjoy the way I am.  I fear the way things are going across the bay.  Among my kind we feel the ripples of man's activity.  We are spirits of your essence after all. A reflection of you.  Imagine,two whole races of beings so intrinsically linked, so completely tied to one another, so deeply ingrained and yet so many on both sides of the relationship completely ignorant.  All I ask of you, is that if a reckoning comes, remember those of us on the other side who are caught in it too.

You also have a message waiting on your PocSec:

:: LTG# 804 (72-9021) :: {Hellfire}
Got biz.  You looking?  Tonight at 8.
>>>This message includes a pin drop to Matchsticks (a bar in downtown Oakland)


Acme smiles.  "Of course.  I am one who talks with the spirits, yeah?  I'm not like those hermetics who see you as a ball of energies and math, and I'm honored that you have given your wisdom to me and my students."  He listened intently to the spirit's warning and request, and crossed his arms with a nod.  "That's part of what I'm here for.  The... people I work with have me here to watch the bay, and considering our specialty I know damn well it means your kind as well.  I pledge to do what I can to help you out.  Mai* knows that I've already helped out up North, and you've done too much for me this brief time for me to let you down, Professor.  If you like, I've left a stack of some of my more promising students' papers in my bunkhouse for you to enjoy...."  He pulled up his pocsec as it chirped.  "But I'm afraid that's all I can offer at the moment, I'm due for some work."  He flicks the Y on the request and bows respectfully to the spirit.

19:45

As he decides now would be the best time for this, he didn't do much else to change his appearance for the night.  He knew that some people paid for the obvious appearance of "shaman" so he gave them what they expected, as there wasn't need to hide his gift for the moment, especially in the more open-minded environs of Oakland/Berkley.  For now though, it was just wait on Hellfire outside of Matchsticks while people gathered for the night..
Mr. Johnson
 GM, 140 posts
Thu 5 Mar 2020
at 02:26
Re: [December 2059] Mayhem and Mistletoe
Kord’s description of the Matchsticks exterior is spot on. The place is early weekday evening dead but there are sure signs that when the concert fires up in a few days, the local clientele mixed with eager concert goers will have the place jumping...

Inside Matchsticks is three quarters empty. Flat black paint covers every surface, including old furniture, plastic plants, burned out trid monitors, tables and chairs. Every chair back, table edge, baseboard and corner join is accented with some kind of luminescent glowing neon green paint giving the club a punk rock photonegative quality. Despite external appearances and the lack of a slick online node, the club has a very hip energy.

Feel free to go inside and hang around if you have time to post before I get around to “The Meetup” (likely not until Sunday). Everyone is welcome to make observations about the decor, liquor selection, weeknight clientele or quality of the service.
Mr. Johnson
 GM, 142 posts
Thu 5 Mar 2020
at 02:37
Re: [December 2059] Mayhem and Mistletoe
Devlin and Pearlman have not arrived...
Grendel
 player, 45 posts
Thu 5 Mar 2020
at 14:33
Re: [December 2059] Mayhem and Mistletoe
As Grendel let himself in behind another employee through the service door he could practically feel the eyes on him. Even here, in Oakland, they suggested that he did not belong, and that he needed to explain himself. What he assumed were the employees were looking around as if daring one another to be the first to speak up. And they had not even really noticed the shotgun yet, they seemed too busy staring at his home made tire tread sandals.

They probably think I'm lookin for a hand out... Grendel realized, then spoke up to the one nearest to them. "Evenin, I'm lookin for Pearlman? he asked, and when he did not get an answer immediately he followed up with "Is he around?"

"Not yet" a vaguely Asian looking Orc finally answered him from atop a ladder where he seemed to be swapping out some kind of lighting fixture. She gestured towards a double door with the screwgun in her hand. "If you want to hang out up front, I'll let him know you're here." she assured him, before Grendel meandered through the doors up and towards the larger main floor.

As he stepped in he had to squint a little. There was something about the paint and light combination that made his Troll eyes ache in a very subtle way and he had a hard time putting his finger on just what was causing it. There was so much to take it, but the thing that caught his attention first was the walls.

They were black, anybody could look at the room and tell you that, but they had been white before that. All around the room, mostly at waist height, or shoe height, but all over the place were scuff marks. Thousands upon thousands of boots, high heels, purses, buttons, zippers, watches, pistol butts and who knew what else had collided with it at some point. There were a few more obvious impacts, at least one bullet hole that had been patched, but the impression was clear.

This place was regularly packed with people, like a giant circulating washing machine where everybody at the edge had to scoot around the mass of meta-humanity at the center.

As Grendel lingered near the back door on the slightly elevated section approaching the DJ's booth, he suspected that they would have their work cut out for them.

This message was last edited by the player at 14:34, Thu 05 Mar 2020.

Hellfire
 player, 27 posts
Sat 7 Mar 2020
at 16:58
Re: [December 2059] Mayhem and Mistletoe
The wheels squealed as the breaks super-heated at the abrupt ceasing of forward motion. The rubber fought for purchase against the old tarmac parking lot. Hellfire ignored the itch in his foot "I know, I know. Sorry." He said to his vehicle. The Volkswagen bus was an antique shell hiding a completely rebuilt interior and upgraded mechanics.Hellfire thought back to the months he had spent, not to mention the yen, on lovingly restoring the junked heap into this marvelous piece of modern engineering. It wasn't exactly how he wanted it, There were many more modifications Hellfire wanted to add when he got the time and money but for now he was happy with special surprises he has installed.

With a thought he turned off the bus and pulled himself back to his meat bag. He popped open the driver's door and hopped to the ground into the cold. He let out a little shiver as leaving his climate controlled cab exposed him to the elements. He instinctively activated the security system. It wasn't anything too elaborate, It was rigged to let out a high decibel alarm as well as send his pocsec an alert should anyone attempt to break in. Thanks to his tinkering he also added a remote override that he could use to disable the drive train. A little trick he picked up back in the Cascade where car theft was practically a way of life. The real deterrent was the remote activated Roto-Drone in the back. If it couldn't handle the potential thief with it's M-23 then Hellfire would rather use the Rockets instead of letting some grubby go-ganger wannabe take his bus. Hellfire had always believed in the "Scorched Earth" philosophy when dealing with that sort of thing.


He walked toward Matchsticks and took in the outside of the building. Typical set up. Couple exterior cameras, probably just for show. The bouncer looks appropriate to the setting. Nothing out of the ordinary." He assessed. As he approached he found Acme waiting for him. "Kahée" He called out as he approached. "You been waitin'long?"

This message was last edited by the player at 17:01, Sat 07 Mar 2020.

Acme
 player, 52 posts
 Coyote Shaman
 Avowed Pain In The Ass
Sat 7 Mar 2020
at 23:49
Re: [December 2059] Mayhem and Mistletoe
"Ya'ateh, iilápaache" he said with a grin.  Mixing words from both their tribes, the sort of compromise that showed the equal respect between the two.  He took a bit of a yawn as he looked over Hellfire's latest baby; it was a sight better than that piece of drek they were rattling around in before.  "Nah, I just got here a bit ago.  So what's this work?"  He pushed off the wall and stretched out a bit, rolling his shoulders.
Hellfire
 player, 28 posts
Sun 8 Mar 2020
at 04:37
Re: [December 2059] Mayhem and Mistletoe
"Don't know Omae" Hellfire said. he pulled a elect-a-vape out of his pocket and breathed in a long pull. After extruding a large cloud of mist he continued.  "My contact' He voice cracked a little as he said that. He continued "Only told me we might have to work security for some concert or something." He took another pull of his vape. "I don't keep up with the kids music these days."

"I can tell you, If this ain't worth our time I gonna walk quick fast." He turned the power off on his unit and looked to the mage. "We are looking for a cat called Pearlman, guess we should get this done desu ne?"

This message had punctuation tweaked by the player at 04:43, Sun 08 Mar 2020.

Acme
 player, 53 posts
 Coyote Shaman
 Avowed Pain In The Ass
Sun 8 Mar 2020
at 17:16
Re: [December 2059] Mayhem and Mistletoe
Acme thought about Hellfire's comments and grunted.  "Hmm, security for a concert.  That doesn't seem like something they'd hire runners for, maybe it's a smokescreen?"  He nodded to the second sentiment though.  "At least I'll give 'em an ear.  And heh I'm with you.  I listen to what's on the radio, but I don't bother following it unless they get a second album.  I mean, if those guys from the Tir are right, elves like me are gonna be immortal or some drek like that anyway, so I got time right?"  He chuckled and looked to the doors as he pulled out a credstick and fiddled with it as he looked at the bouncer.

"Pearlman, eh?  All right, we hit the employees entrance or start taking expense notes now?"
Mr. Johnson
 GM, 144 posts
Sun 8 Mar 2020
at 21:52
Re: [December 2059] Mayhem and Mistletoe
Late arrivals
Pearlman (fixer) – all around average looking human in his early 40's with salt and pepper hair and a heavy black moustache.  He's wearing a crisp, modern looking floor length duster and snakeskin cowboy hat; neo-western chic, that most folks are unable to pull off but on him it seems perfectly natural.  On his hip he carries a Colt Manhunter MP heavy pistol, standard issue for the California Rangers, which seems further circumstantial evidence for the rumor that Pearlman started out wearing a badge.

Zavier Devlin (executive) – clean cut human who, through a combination of cosmetic surgery and designer drugs will look perpetually mid-30s until he drops dead.  Blonde and fit with gym, or perhaps vat-grown, muscles that rarely see any real physical efforts in the Apogee Studios offices.  The executive is wearing something a mid-level corper might consider appropriate as urban camoflage, designer jeans, black silk button down decorated with a stylized pastel dragon that flies lazily over the right shoulder, around the executive's back and across the front of his shirt again in a video loop woven into the fabric.  On his wrist, a Fuchi Chronomer wrist computer in flashy gold.

Marissa Gregory (activist) – the dark haired orc has her hair tied back, she may be greying a bit and wearing tasteful make-up to cover some early wrinkles, but in person she exudes the confidence and poise one would expect of the political voice of The October 25 Alliance.  She's chosen a professional looking skirt, blouse and blazer in copyright protected Zoe Heritage line earth tones; pretty much the uniform of her trade.  Omnipresent in her ring-covered hand is an Cross Advanced Electronics PocSec.

Tell it to them straight
While sound, light and sim techs busy themselves with pre-show planning and a few regulars nurse cans of Sapporo everyone settles in pulling up chairs around a corner booth.  Pearlman makes a few brief introductions before handing over to the would be Mr and Ms Johnson.

Gregory takes the lead, laying out the security job.  Ever the budding politician, she focuses on the importance that the October 25 Alliance and Apogee need to come through the concert series without a major security incident.  Before she loses your collective interest, she starts to lay out the details. “With a lack of serious interest from Imperial-backed security forces in the 'plex, we have turned to GEI and local freelancers like yourselves to provide security.  GEI is contracted to provide the on-site security and will bring in tech and manpower to provide entry control and security presence here at Matchsticks and for other venues in the city.” she explains.  “What we need to further support the concert program is to ensure the safety and security of Apogee's talent while they are guests in the city.  That's where we hope we can count on your support.”

Devlin jumps in only once, to add: “One of our brightest young stars will be playing this venue.  Your job is to keep Freya safe from the moment she steps off the plane until she leaves Oakland.”

In short, they need muscle (Grendel), wheels (Hellfire) and magical support (Acme) to keep Freya safe while she is in town for the show.  Since GEI is responsible for security at the venue, they are insisting on someone to act as go-between with the mercs and facilitate communication between the bodyguards and the venue security teams... plus a little extra muscle never hurt (Kord).
Grendel
 player, 46 posts
Sun 8 Mar 2020
at 22:20
Re: [December 2059] Mayhem and Mistletoe
Grendel had felt out of place before. But not, seated with the others, he felt like a visitor from another country.

There, in his tire tread and p-cord sandals, his hand stitched pants, his olive drab surplus jacket he stood out, and not in a good way. His blond mane of partially braided hair, his bushy beard and slight but present odor natural odor did nothing to help that.

But hey, he was fraggin huge, so there was that.

In his eyes, these were the professionals he had expected to meet. The one Orc looked like a bad ass, and probably the ex-military variety. He struck him that he had never actually known anybody that had served in a military. There were so many questions that he had about that sort of thing, and avenue that if he was honest, would be forever closed to him even if he had developed the inclination.

The second Orc, smaller, wiry for his kind, looked like he belonged there. That easy confidence, the edge to him that spoke to him being in his native element. This was not his first job, that was obvious.

And the elf, cocky maybe? Hard to say, but it seemed like it was for good reason. Sharp eyed, and with an aura about him that seemed some how familiar, but alien at the same time. The energy was there, he could feel it, and it made him stand out in ways that were hard to describe. Some would call it charisma, or magnetism he guessed.

The others, on the "employer" side of the table seemed imposing in their own way. No nonsense types, eager to talk to concrete terms and to get on with other important things. This was a life changing event for Grendel, it seemed like it was just a check box on a task list for them.

"Freya? Like the Goddess?" It was an odd question, sure. But he seemed to find the reference amusing perhaps, or interesting. Maybe even sacrilegious in a benign sort of way.

But his time was also an open door, an invitation to explain more about their charge.
Mr. Johnson
 GM, 145 posts
Mon 9 Mar 2020
at 22:34
Re: [December 2059] Mayhem and Mistletoe
Devlin seems a bit surprised that the backwoods troll is the first to break the ice but quickly regains his poker face. “It’s her birth name. She’s from the Faroe Islands so there is that nordic heritage, yeah. She’s an incredibly rare musical and magical talent.  She calls herself a pyske - what we would call a pixie.”
Kord
 player, 24 posts
Tue 10 Mar 2020
at 18:55
Re: [December 2059] Mayhem and Mistletoe
Kord nodded as the job was outlined and Devlin then explained that Freya was a Pixie. He hasn't met a Pixie before so this was going to be interesting.

"OK, I've got a couple of questions," he said, addressing the group of employers. He gave the other three 'runners he was being teamed up with a quick nod of greeting as he started talking, unclear whether they already knew each other or not. Regardless he had a lot of things to ask about the job so he took a lead in the conversation. If he was stepping on any toes then they could figure that out later. "Firstly, just to be clear, which one of you is paying us for this job?" he asked Pearlman, Devlin and Gregory before clarifying further. "Essentially, which one of you three is in charge?" With three of them there is was important to establish who had precedence if there was a conflict of interest. And who they would go looking for to frag if they didn't get paid. He didn't ask how much they were being offered for the job though, he would come to that eventually. With a bit of luck he could get paid by both GEI and one of these three.

"Secondly, how long is Freya in town? I assume that you can give us details of her itinerary and where she's staying during her visit. Thirdly does she have a posse with her? Any hangers on that we need to know about and factor into her security?" He was starting to tick things off a mental list was running through in his mind. "Next, are you providing a vehicle to transport her and any posse around in? And lastly what kind of person is she? Is she going to stay put in her hotel room when she's not working or are we gonna need to go running round town escorting her to different bars and clubs?"
Acme
 player, 54 posts
 Coyote Shaman
 Avowed Pain In The Ass
Tue 10 Mar 2020
at 19:27
Re: [December 2059] Mayhem and Mistletoe
Once they were all gathered into the meeting room Acme took a relaxed seat.  Still trying to be professional, at least as professional as Coyote can ever be.  He goes in and out of astral perception for a moment, giving a look like he's dozing or stoned to those not used to Awakened.  The Military orc and the rustic troll didn't seem to faze him, as they looked like good enough muscle.

For now, he kept to his own thoughts, as Kord seemed to handle the quality questions that came to mind for now.
Hellfire
 player, 29 posts
Wed 11 Mar 2020
at 01:41
Re: [December 2059] Mayhem and Mistletoe
Hellfire purposely sat separated from Acme. Best to cover more angles if this goes sideways. He thought. Hellfire gave a small nod as Pearlman introduced him but otherwise sat quietly. He took stock of each of the three "Johnsons" Internally he thought.
Pearlman-Typical fixer. He reads like a hundred chummers I seen before him, Wouldn't want to test his gun arm but I doubt he is keen to pull iron.
Zavier Devlin-What a plug! I bet he craps in a gold rimmed toilet. If this meet don't go well I can buy a new van after I take his watch. Douche
Marissa Gregory-Now she is a looker. I bet all that uptight clothes is camo to hide the wild demon of passion she is on the inside. Couple more drinks and I might have to make a play regardless if I blow the run.

After his initial assessment he continued to listen to the details of the gig. Hellfire heard the troll ask about Freya and he assessed the man Grendel-Well he is big, but ain't they all? He looks smarter then most I met so that's something. Got a kind face, Something about the eyes. Probably a serial killer best keep an eye on that one.

Mr. Douche Bla bla bla'ed an answer to the question that Hellfire ignored. He turned his attention to the other ork, Since he was talking it didn't seem weird to stare at him. Kord-Nice to have another ork around. This guy looks like he can bench press a bus. Be glad to have him onside. If I had to put money I would say he would probably come out on top of a tussle with Pearlman and maybe even Kord. This is going to be interesting if nothing else.

He looked across the table at Acme and gave him a little wink. He took a pull of his drink. Acme-Always best to have a friend at your back when faced with these kinda things. At the very least I will have someone to talk to.
Mr. Johnson
 GM, 148 posts
Thu 12 Mar 2020
at 00:56
Re: [December 2059] Mayhem and Mistletoe
Who is in charge?
Marissa replied simply: “October 25 provides the connections to the community.  Apogee is paying the bills and sets the agenda”

Compensation
Your compensation comes through GEI,” Devlin added, speaking directly to Kord.  “I believe if you review the terms and conditions of the agreement you'll find expanded duties such as this are well within the framework of the contract.” he adds with a humourless, perhaps even predatory smile.  It's clear that talk of nuyen has triggered the suit's instinctive business savvy.  “For the others, I will retain your services effective immediately, Your payout is 12,000¥ all in, half up front, half on completion, paid in unregistered certified credsticks.”

Itinerary
“Today is Thursday,” he continued, glancing at his PocSec, “Freya arrives tomorrow at Oakland International with the concert planned for Saturday evening and her departure scheduled for Sunday afternoon.  I'll leave you a chip with the details on her arrival and departure.”

Posse
“She will be travelling with a small retinue, a couple of friends from back home who are not covered under the security agreement but will wish to travel with her and therefore need to be considered for transportation.”

Transportation
“Pearlman here assures me that transportation can be figured out on your end,” Devlin replied.

Pearlman added: “– or I'll source something for you if need be.  I can also sort out the necessaries you'll need to get past security checks for your credentials at Oakland airport. SINs and weapons permits won't be a problem.” he turns to Devlin and adds, ”At a modest increase onto my end.”

@Hellfire - your VW seats two up front (driver and passenger).  In the back it will easily fit a pixie and two hangers on.  It would be tight with either Grendel or Kord back there since a bunch of space is taken up by "special features"... either way, someone will need to ride separately or you will need to find a full sized bus to fit you all in...

Freya's personality
Devlin nodded and continued, “As for Freya, she comes from a remote community but has very recent exposure to city life and has shown a young woman's interest in whatever nightlife or entertainment local 'plex might have to offer.  She will not be overly demanding and is still growing into her rockstar status, thankfully showing no signs of becoming an unmanageable diva, but you should expect her to want to check out the local scene on Friday night.”



For your next round of posts, break them into three parts:
(1) Anything else you want to discuss with Mr / Ms J before they leave.
(2) Anything you want to discuss with Pearlman once the Johnsons have left.
(3) Anything you want to discuss as a team after Pearlman leaves.

Hellfire
 player, 30 posts
Thu 12 Mar 2020
at 08:46
Re: [December 2059] Mayhem and Mistletoe
To Everyone
"That's twelve K each right? I am sure you ain't trying to buy no top tier security for your Wiz bang pop icon for no four K each. I got the transport for your girl and the tag a'longs but the other'gobs in our group will need their own ride or we gotta get something bigger. As you all know... bigger costs."

To Pearlamn
This cherry don't squeeze right. I gonna'need you to think of that one little bit of information that you ain't supposed to tell us and spill. Like say 'Has princess pixie-pants got a death mark on her head' you know.. important stuff.

To the group
Who's round is it?

This message was last edited by the player at 08:54, Thu 12 Mar 2020.

Mr. Johnson
 GM, 149 posts
Thu 12 Mar 2020
at 09:48
Re: [December 2059] Mayhem and Mistletoe
“Christmas is just around the corner, but we’re not in such a giving mood. Payout is 12K all in. How you divide that up is your decision. With an even split pulling in a thousand a day doesn’t seem too bad. If you have something that pays better, I’ll certainly understand.” Devlin replies.

Apogee is offering about the right amount for some semi-legit work that should be easy nuyen.
Kord
 player, 26 posts
Thu 12 Mar 2020
at 22:19
Re: [December 2059] Mayhem and Mistletoe

Before Devlin & Gregory leave:


Kord nodded at Gregory as she clarified that Apogee were paying the bills for this job and setting the agenda. That put them in charge in Kord's book and he mentally relegated Gregory to Devlin's lackey for future conversations. That was possibly a mistake but he was used to clear command structures. Devlin reinforced this assessment in Kord's mind when he reminded the Merc that he was being paid by GEI rather than as part of the deal being negotiated. It didn't show on his face but Kord noted that he was going to be earning less for the week than these runners were going to earn for a couple of days work. Yet another reason why going independent and taking jobs as a runner looked to be more profitable than continuing with his GEI contract. Maybe it was finally time to make the change and become a Shadowrunner rather than a Merc.

"Is there any nuyen for gear?" he asked Devlin directly, bypassing the question of his own fee. "If we're nursemaiding her out clubbing then we gonna need to look the part or we'll stick out badly. I know frag all about PR but if you're trying to build her image then it's worth you making sure we look the part as well." From his question it was clear that he did have a basic understanding of how to build an image, regardless of what he said. He then glanced round the rest of the team that was being formed before speaking to the group as a whole. "And if anyone wants gatts then now's the time to speak up. For me, I could do with a compact SMG, something I can keep under a jacket like an Ingrams." He half expected, however, for Devlin to instruct him to talk to GEI.

"Grendel, you got access to some wheels?" he asked the Troll before turning to Devlin. "I've got a bike but I reckon we could do with a single vehicle that all of us can travel in. That way we've just got one guy driving and the rest of us scanning, not three driving and only one scanning. Are you paying if Pearlman can source something?"



Before Pearlman leaves:

"Hey budd, give me your number before you go," he said to the Fixer. "I may have some other business to put your way in the future."



After Pearlman leaves:

"Hellfire, are you wired to run a rig?" he asked his fellow Ork. "If I can get access to some surveillance drones from GEI can you control them? Give us extra eyes."
Grendel
 player, 48 posts
Thu 12 Mar 2020
at 22:36
Re: [December 2059] Mayhem and Mistletoe
Kord:
"Grendel, you got access to some wheels?" he asked the Troll before turning to Devlin. "I've got a bike but I reckon we could do with a single vehicle that all of us can travel in. That way we've just got one guy driving and the rest of us scanning, not three driving and only one scanning. Are you paying if Pearlman can source something?"


Grendel scratched at his thick beard. "I've got a truck..." He began, his tone warning them all that there was a "but" coming. "But she's old and roughed up. Be great if she wanted to go camping, but otherwise I don't think she'd want to be seen anywhere near it. That and it sticks out. Bed's free though for anything we might want to throw back there, and I've got a little spare room in the cab, just the one seat, but cases or bags would fit." He seemed to remember. "And she's not rigged for for the grid. All manual...not, like, stick shift, but you know what I mean" Even in his world only the rest folks even remembered those, but he felt the need to clarify or been seen as truly backwards.

When it came to hear he nodded. "Clothes, yeah, probably gonna need those." he could probably also use a shower and access to a washing machine but he was not about to say that out loud.