[December 2059] Mayhem and Mistletoe (Crew: Oakland)   Posted by Mr. Johnson.Group: 0
Mr. Johnson
 GM, 104 posts
Sun 16 Feb 2020
at 21:52
[December 2059] Mayhem and Mistletoe
It's been a cool autumn, with frequent stiff winds coming in off the Pacific, bringing rain and thin sleet.

Out in Oakland the city is alive with Christmas energy as the local communities and small businesses have weathered the storm of Imperial Army reprisals and come together in a spirit of togetherness.  The October 25 Alliance has found their voice and the Imperial Army doesn't want to deal with the bad press that the articulate and organized resistance movement can generate.  Conversely, some splinter cells associated with the Metahuman People's Army have been implicated in subversive and terrorist activity including an attempted bombing on the BART.  A number of recent executions have put a damper on the festive atmosphere in parts of the Orkland neighborhood in Alameda.

The pseudo-academic set in Berkeley are winding down for a well earned Christmas break.  Crowd sourced courses this 'semester' are coming to an end at The People's University.  The curriculum doesn't have a rigidly structured schedule, but it's pretty common for most programs of study to wind down this time of year.  A very active nightlife is in full swing as free time and a festive vibe combine for many Christmas themed party nights.  Dwarftown is the place to go for a laid back time, great holiday deals and live music (if you can handle the narrow, low tunnels).

Across the bay, the vibe in San Fransisco and the 'burbs of Walnut Creek, Orinida, Concord and Diablo Valley is decidedly more staid.  The wage slaves of the Japanacorps have embraced a corporate Christmas-lite flavor and archologies, megamalls and apartment complexes are festooned with tasteless plastic decorations and glittering tinsel in all colors of the rainbow.  Despite the trappings of the season, there is no discernible change to the routine corporate culture and security remains as tight as ever.  The closest thing to Christmas spirit may be the reopening of the BART, under strict supervision of the CalFreeState Rapid Transit Commission and Nobanaga Security Services.

Elves get a bit lighter treatment, but even they don't venture very deeply into the Downtown Human Cultural Zone without business to conduct.  Dwarves, Orks and Trolls are almost never seen inside the Imperial-Army controlled zones and only the faux red light district at Fisherman's Wharf and Chinatown have any significant metahuman presence.
Mr. Johnson
 GM, 105 posts
Sun 16 Feb 2020
at 21:52
[December 2059] Mayhem and Mistletoe
@Grendel you are here...
Grendel
 player, 37 posts
Mon 17 Feb 2020
at 01:42
[December 2059] Mayhem and Mistletoe
Grendel rolled into Oakland mid-afternoon, coming off of what had pretty much been a straight shot south down the five. Traffic had become a concern well over an hour prior, and the throaty roar of the modified Gopher was reduced to a frustrated series of growls as the troll had his first real taste of driving in Bayplex traffic.

Drifting amid an ocean of primary colored compacts, automated tractor trailers and the occasional glossy black luxury vehicle, Grendel's old rattle-canned brown truck, with its lift kit and knobby tires stood out from the crowd. He could feel the stares as a steady stream of frustrated commuters either tail-gated him or cut him off on their way to wherever they were going.

He had kind of hoped to find a good spot to pull off in order to take in the view of the city, but it was all just a congested snarl that led ever deeper into a valleys and canyons of concrete and glass. In the end he was happy just to be off the freeway, and stopped in the parking lot of what looked like an impossibly huge shopping center. The bargain bin kind with an attached residential district that was designed to benefit from the plethora of restaurant options and contracted security.

There he found a space and hid his new sawed-off a lock box in the cab (an ingenious addition that was originally designed to accommodate Warhawks signature pistol, although the sawed-off fit snugly).  Then, he took a walk in the mall, just to get a feel for the city and to let his thoughts run while he stretched his legs. He needed a place to sleep, to park, and he needed work. He hoped most of this could be solved with a call to this Pearlman guy, after all he had some Cred to work with.

He just sort of, ah, needed to be pointed in the right direction. He needed a local guide of sorts, to make sure that he did not do anything too stupid while he found his feet.

This message was last edited by the player at 05:59, Mon 17 Feb 2020.

Mr. Johnson
 GM, 112 posts
Wed 19 Feb 2020
at 02:49
[December 2059] Mayhem and Mistletoe
You find yourself in a rambling old mall that would have been common the edge of the urban core a quarter century ago.  The sprawl has long since absorbed the outlying districts that used to provide a buffer between dense city centre, commercial zones and suburban homes.  Where the edge of the Oakland and Berkeley sprawls meet before coming to a sudden halt against the gates of the suburban bastion of Orinida, The Ridge is a testament to the tenacity of mass consumerism.

Alive with activity, The Ridge has seen better days.  The parking is lot strewn with all manner of urban detritus, from discarded fast food containers to abandoned minivans, although newer vehicles and a disproportionate number of motorcycles are parked throughout the disorder.  They are the signs of a working, if imperfect community.  Inside the mall itself, the pattern continues.  Garbage carelessly tossed aside and grime streaked windows greet, but do not dissuade, the mall's patrons.  As Grendel passes through the doors, he is accosted by a cracked advertising screen showing the distorted image of a perfect spokesmodel, imploring Rich Davidson to visit the local House of Raoul discount fashion outlet.

In spite of outward appearances, the mall has a surprising amount of foot traffic.  All manner of metahumanity wander the corridors and through shops peddling counterfeit fashions, computer electronics, cosmetics, car parts, water purification, mainstream vices and children's toys.  In the food court a few dozen teenagers have assembled around major fast food chains and open air grills where a cacophony of different genres of music overlap.  There is even a small coffin hotel advertising 35 personal sleep units.  Not the most comfortable place to stay, but there are certainly worse places to crash.

As Grendel wanders, he finds himself in front of a storefront that may be exactly what he is looking for: “Lapierre – Pawn, Guns, Gold, Gems”

Wander into Lapierre's?  Pass it by?
Grendel
 player, 40 posts
Wed 19 Feb 2020
at 03:47
[December 2059] Mayhem and Mistletoe
Grendel had been in cities before, he was not that sheltered, the Clan had traveled up and down California at least twice a year. He was not surprised by the trash, or the decay, or the crowds. But this was the first real time that he was facing it solo, and the first time that he did not have a solid plan. It helped him to see it all more like somebody that called the place home, and it sobered him.

Make no mistake, his families junk show RV was no better than these little urban holes, and at least they (probably) had power, and plumbing, and insulation. The Clans food and water were better, but always inconsistent, where as these folks could walk a few dozen feet to any number of options. No, it was something else that bothered him, something he was still trying to put his finger on.

He made a mental note of the hotel, although he doubted they had a Troll sized option, it was probably better than sleeping on the street, but then, he saw Lapierre's.

It took him a moment before he did a double take. Could it be the same Lapierre that Big Mike had worked with all those years ago? What were the odds? Part of him wondered if Big Mike, back when he was just "Mike" and the Clan was just getting its feet had wandered along the same route once upon a time, had seen the same pawn shop, and decided to make something of it.

A shiver ran through the big Troll, and he got that feeling, the same one that reminded him of their Shaman.

He had the time, and hell, he actually had some Cred. He ducked inside to take a look, and to see if the guy manning the counter was the same Halfer that had mentored their Chief.
Mr. Johnson
 GM, 114 posts
Fri 21 Feb 2020
at 01:00
[December 2059] Mayhem and Mistletoe
The 'guy' at the counter is a twentysomething ork with curly auburn hair in a sweater dress who flashes you a disarming smile as you walk in.  “Feel free to look around,” she says politely, turning back to her PocSec, scrolling through something displayed on her screen with hands marked with henna dyed patterns.

The shop is clean and well organized.  Like the sign says, there are general pawn goods, mostly gently used electronics.  A sturdy gun lock up holds a modest array of rifles, shotguns and pistols while an alarmed jeweller's case holds a variety of gold bangles, semi-precious stones, necklaces and watches.
Grendel
 player, 41 posts
Fri 21 Feb 2020
at 17:45
[December 2059] Mayhem and Mistletoe
Grendel waved back with a smile as he nearly toppled a shelf filled with first gen trid displays. He caught himself, fixed them, then browsed about the shop for a few minutes before he approached the counter.

"Hey, kind of an odd question. Is Lapierre a Dwarf by chance? And if he is, is he still involved with the business?" Grendel asked as the jewelry case gave a little creak in protest as it absorbed some of the weight of him leaning against it.

This message had punctuation tweaked by the player at 18:19, Mon 24 Feb 2020.

Mr. Johnson
 GM, 121 posts
Sun 23 Feb 2020
at 21:50
[December 2059] Mayhem and Mistletoe
“Lapp is in and out.  You know him or something like that?  He spends most of his time in the tunnels down in East Bay.  You know.  Dwarves.” she adds with a shrug.  “You seem familiar, like, were you my hydroponics class at People's last semester maybe?” she adds a bit flirtatiously.
Grendel
 player, 42 posts
Mon 24 Feb 2020
at 18:24
[December 2059] Mayhem and Mistletoe
Grendel broke out into a slightly shy and toothy smile as he seemed to catch the tone of her question. He paused and seemed to think for just a moment before he answered. "Kind of a mutual friend thing, a guy we both know...Big Mike? from years ago" he doubted she would have known him. Grendel had just been a kid at the time after all.

"But no, I don't think so. I just got into town, like, just now." he admitted with a jerk of his head towards the parking lot. "I was actually kind of lookin' for a good place to grab a bite. Anything you would recommend around here?" he asked in a way that made it obvious that he would like her to join him if she was able to get away.
Mr. Johnson
 GM, 129 posts
Thu 27 Feb 2020
at 04:49
[December 2059] Mayhem and Mistletoe
@Grendel - She shrugs unknowingly at Big Mike's name.  As you suspected, she is too young to have been working for Lapierre when Mike did his trial.

“Wouldn't eat anything in here she replies sticking out her tongue and laughing while making a 'barf' face.  “That foodcourt is all reconstituted soy kibble and devil rat.  We grow a lot of our own fresh food and raise some game birds, rabbits and the like down in Orktown.  I live in a community run tenement down that way.  If you're looking for a flop, there is a room.  Not as cheap as those coffins in the mall, but a lot of us barter labor tending gardens and animal pens to offset the rent.  It's a good place to live, on the BART line and we don't get too much trouble with the Imperials... ”

@Acme - You've followed no particular path to Berkeley.  For the past month you've been trading conjuring instruction for a place to stay in the crumbling Martinez Commons building.  The building's outer shell remains largely intact but the interior has been modified and chopped up so much that the original floor plan has been lost to the warren created by plastic panels, old furniture and packing materials salvaged from the Oakland port authority's solid waste facility.  All things considered, a small single room apartment and a shared washroom is much better than the streets, even if no one would dare to cook in the building for fear of starting an uncontrollable fire.  You get by on heat in the can meals and take out.

In the several months since you left Shasta, you've heard nothing from Ilena.  Her guidance had been blessedly general when you met her in the medicine circle at the apprentices' lodge: “There are whispers that the turbulence in the Bay Area causes our Lady concern, go there, be her eyes and ears.”  In your heart of hearts, you can't help but feel that even this broad direction is too constraining for Coyote.

Despite your role as teacher, you find that you have learned much here.  The aura here is strong.  A product of almost 200 years of academic pursuit and freedom of thought, the area around Berkeley attracts spirits of the teacher aspect.  In fact, you have recently summoned one to aid you in instructing your final class of this semester, bringing forth this being to aid you in teaching promising young magicians how to summon watchers.  Formed from the pages of a thousand old books, vaguely human but only about half your size, wearing what looks like a tweed jacket with patches at the elbows and smelling faintly of pipe smoke it hovers before you as your final student files out of the stone circle you have constructed in front of the Commons...
Grendel
 player, 43 posts
Thu 27 Feb 2020
at 17:58
[December 2059] Mayhem and Mistletoe
Grendel chuckled. "I'm not sure I could fit in those things anyway" he replied, referring to the nearby hotel. He seemed earnestly surprised that the locals were managing any sort of farming in the middle of the BayPlex and he smiled. "No drek?" his demeanor relaxed a little, less openly flirtatious, more conspiratorial. Maybe he had more in common with these people than he has assumed?

"I've picked a lot of crops, mostly with the big Agg ops, but I've learned up a few tricks. What time are you off?" He asked, and followed up with asking if she needed a ride. It would be easy enough to kill most of the day in a place this big, and it would give him time to hash things out with this Pearlman guy.

This message was last edited by the player at 17:58, Thu 27 Feb 2020.

Acme
 player, 48 posts
 Coyote Shaman
 Avowed Pain In The Ass
Sun 1 Mar 2020
at 06:36
[December 2059] Mayhem and Mistletoe
Acme yawned a bit with a smile on his face.  The teaching had been taking a bit more drain on him, mostly because he was actually summoning more and more complex spirits for demonstration.  It was of course a guideline; he had students of many traditions learning from him rather than just shamans, and for that he was actually happy to be able to reach them.  For now however, he would readjust, see if the People's University would need him for the next term, and keep an eye on things in the area.  The Alliance and other resistance groups in the Oakland/Berkeley area were good resources to talk to, gather where they were and what they could share about the corps.

But right now, he wanted some tea.  "Can I offer you anything, Professor?" he asked the spirit.
Mr. Johnson
 GM, 134 posts
Sun 1 Mar 2020
at 16:46
[December 2059] Mayhem and Mistletoe
@Grendel: “Uggg, I'm on until this evening.” she says with a growl.  “The other guy just quit and, like I said, Lapp spends most of his time down in Halferville.  The sign out front should say 'Jenny's'... but here, I'll get you my LTG number... call me OK?  I'll show you that place in Orktown?” flipping her PocSec back open, she pairs with yours and blip you've got her number.  Assuming you allow her device to connect to yours you gain a contact.

When you open your PocSec, you quickly note the local buzz about the Christmas carnival keeps popping up on Shadowlands.  Planning for the security jobs at several Apogee sponsored live shows and matrix live simcast seems to be well underway.  The lead security contract has gone to rough and ready private military contractor, Global Executive Interventions.  Not taking any chances, given GEI's recent difficulties in the Southeast Asian warzone, the studio is working with the October 25 Alliance. Shadow buzz is there is legit security work out there.  Should be a nice easy payday so long as you don't mind the prospect of working with a bunch of trigger happy mercs.

You also have a message waiting:

:: LTG# 206 (52-4058) :: {Pearlman}
Gren? Warhawk vouched for you... said you were reliable... I'm sorry to see him go but hope you can step-up to take his place... if you're interested in some security work for these concert jobs that looking for local talent.  Matchsticks. Tonight. 8pm – P’
>>>This message includes a pin drop to Matchsticks (a bar in downtown Oakland)

@Kord
You've been in town for two days and you've barely had six hours of sleep.  As soon as the suborb hit the tarmac at Oakland Intentional, the team has been running full-tilt.  Planning for the security jobs at several Apogee sponsored shows has been a full time job.  With only a half-company at her disposal, Malvalda is tapped out for soldiers and with your experience, you're acting as her second in command.  Not taking any chances, the studio's lead event planner, a low level executive named Zavier Devlin, whom Malvada has nicknamed Bossman, has recently solicited help from the local metahuman equal rights group.  With connections in the local community, the October 25 Alliance, have put the word out and are hiring local 'runners.  The prospect of working with unknown freelancers is less than appealing, but, under the circumstances, GEI can't be too picky.  At least it's October 25 and not the unpredictable and potentially violent Metahuman Peoples' Army.

On your PocSec this morning as you rouse from a few hours sleep in the coffin hotel where GEI has you all holed up:

:: LTG# 670 (34-1211) :: {Malvada}
Hey, it's Mal.  Bossman is meeting with some of the hired help at one of the venues tonight.  I'll send you a pin.  Can you take this one?  I'm tied up with the fiasco that Scherwinski caused over at The Parish.
>>>This message includes a pin drop to Matchsticks (a bar in downtown Oakland)
>>>This message includes a meeting request that is automatically loaded to your schedule for 2000hrs tonight.

@Hellfire
:: LTG# 709 (88-9973) :: {Spriggan}
gave your number to this guy i know named pearlman cause he said he got some work yu might be interested in security work for those concerts everyone is talking about think you can get me in for free (jk) kiss kiss

:: LTG# 206 (52-4058) :: {Unknown} – save as new contact y/n(?)
Got your number from Spriggan.  Pretty lady but she talks too damn much...  maybe we can do some biz?  If you're interested in some security work for these local concert jobs, be at Matchsticks tonight 8pm and feel free to bring your wiz partner along – Pearlman
>>>This message includes a pin drop to Matchsticks (a bar in downtown Oakland)

@Acme: Your sense of equality never fails to surprise me song-singer comes the spirit's voice in your mind What do I want?  Well, as you ask, let me take a moment to teach.  It is my nature after all. it adds with a paternal chuckle My plane is closely aligned with yours.  I exist, in this form anyway, only because this place exists as you see it now.  I've come to enjoy the way I am.  I fear the way things are going across the bay.  Among my kind we feel the ripples of man's activity.  We are spirits of your essence after all. A reflection of you.  Imagine,two whole races of beings so intrinsically linked, so completely tied to one another, so deeply ingrained and yet so many on both sides of the relationship completely ignorant.  All I ask of you, is that if a reckoning comes, remember those of us on the other side who are caught in it too.

You also have a message waiting on your PocSec:

:: LTG# 804 (72-9021) :: {Hellfire}
Got biz.  You looking?  Tonight at 8.
>>>This message includes a pin drop to Matchsticks (a bar in downtown Oakland)

This message was last edited by the GM at 16:47, Sun 01 Mar 2020.

Grendel
 player, 44 posts
Sun 1 Mar 2020
at 17:21
[December 2059] Mayhem and Mistletoe
At around 1830 Grendel had decided conclusively that it had been the longest day of his life.

Sitting in his truck (which he still thought of as Warhawks truck) just down the street from Matchsticks he replayed the events of the day over and over again in his head. He had even killed the music as it had started to mess with his concentration.

What am I doing out here? was the question that kept coming back around as he stared out at the endless traffic that crept by and the stream of people on the sidewalks

Hopefully getting paid was the sensible answer. He needed NuYen. Eco-philosophy and and self sufficiency was good, but he was about to have rent to pay, grocery bills, things he would have had to tackle years ago if he had been living anywhere developed.

Playing soldier... was another distressingly common answer that he gave himself. He had no training, no resume, no certifications. He could barely find his way around the city for hestaby's sake. He was about to be working with legit Shadow runners, professional Mercs and the like, at a venue in the BayPlex so crowded that his heart rate picked up just thinking about the crowds.

But you're modded out, your got some ware on board... he answered back. Yeah, borrowed at his family's expense. He had not even earned it.

And you did hunt down and kill a Peryton bare handed.... Yeah, don't mention that. Seriously. They'll think your fraggin weird.

The big troll blew out a long breath and let his head fall back against the seat rest with a thud.

Warhawk vouched for you... he almost said it aloud. That was true. That guy had been here, done this, and he felt that Grendel could do it too. He was back there with the Clan, his family somewhere up north probably talking about how it had all went at the bus station. They were rooting for him, counting on him. Expecting him to come back back with his own cool stories, and money, skills, contacts. It was time to start giving back.

He glanced at the dim green display, 1941, time to go.

He reached down and grabbed the sawed off, checked the chambers again and then climbed his way out of the truck. He needed a damn holster or something, but for now he slung it under his jacket over one shoulder on a piece of knotted webbing. It was janky for sure and it was still obvious he was armed, but it kept it politely out of sight at least.

It was embarrassing to be meeting a bunch of Mercs like this, but less embarrassing than showing up unarmed, hopefully.

He made his way towards Matchsticks, and then around back towards what he hoped was the "employee" entrance.
Mr. Johnson
 GM, 137 posts
Wed 4 Mar 2020
at 01:16
[December 2059] Mayhem and Mistletoe
@Kord

Bleary eyed and facing the prospect of another long and sleepless night, you're in no particular rush to roll out of your coffin, but a few hours spent with a luke warm soykaf in the Company's makeshift command post on the telecom should provide some useful intel.

Citation Needed + specific questions (security) = boosted
19:41, Today: Mr. Johnson, on behalf of Kord, rolled 8 using 2d6+1 ((1,6)).
Weak Success


The matrix footprint for Matchsticks itself is dead on arrival.  The bar's node hasn't been updated in ages and seems to be relying on the fact that they hosted Maria Mercurial back in '48 before she hit it big with Puta.  Clearly the place survived the quake in '51 but they don't seem very interested in keeping their virtual footprint vibrant and attractive.  Nightlife in this part of the 'plex must move by word of mouth and reputation, not by flash advertising.

The more recent hits all point to lax security you would expect out in the Oakland 'plex.  A stabbing out front late last year, probably linked to the MPA.  Shots fired during a gangbanger turf war that spilled into the streets three months ago.  To top it all off, CFS weapons permits for just about everywhere outside San Fran are notoriously easy to fake.

You find what you want to learn, but... choose one:
(1) It takes extra time and you have to rush to make it to the meeting on time
(2) Your search raises a red flag in your system. A smartframe was monitoring your telecom and your system security program/decker alerts you in time that you can switch off without the malware accessing your node.

Mr. Johnson
 GM, 139 posts
Wed 4 Mar 2020
at 02:18
[December 2059] Mayhem and Mistletoe
@Kord if you choose the smartframe and identify an attempt to breach your company’s security protocols, take +1 XP
Kord
 player, 22 posts
Wed 4 Mar 2020
at 22:51
[December 2059] Mayhem and Mistletoe

Earlier....


The Matrix profile of Matchsticks had turned out to be what he expected. Somewhere that was either off the grid or as near as damn it, a good place for a meet and an interesting location for a gig, one he expected would require a lot of studio techs to ensure secure and reliable broadcasts as there probably wouldn't be many facilities on side. He also wondered just how much Devlin, or Bossman as Mal seemed to have nicknames him, would stick out in the bar.

The attempt to breach GEI's security protocols by a smartframe on his search was interesting and he wondered whether it was just some malware trying to access the GEI node or something connected to his comms unit that the security software had picked up. He decided to report it to the decker providing matrix security for GEI, suffering a series of patronising comments about following correct security protocols in the process, even though he had done so. He was conscious that he might well need a decker in the future and he'd heard that one of the GEI team did work on the side, private commissions off GEI's books as such.


OOC: He will take option 2 and will try to use the opportunity to develop a decker contact.



Now....

Kord slipped the GEI Corporate Creadstick back into a pocket of his armoured jacket and clambered out of the taxi, an old fashioned affair that included an actual physical driver who certainly wasn't short of opinions. The wonders of expenses! The taxi had brought him to an address just down the road from this bar Matchsticks and a quick glance around confirmed that the neighborhood fitted the expectations he had formed on his way there. His driver had warned him that he might wait for a while to get a ride back and that the location premium would rise as the evening progressed. The area clearly had a reputation.

Kord is slightly taller than your average Ork, standing nearly six and a half feet tall, but has a slim and athletic build for one of his race, muscular but not a power lifter, probably only weighing about 275lbs or so. He looks to be in his late twenties, which is a decent age for an Ork, though he moves like someone younger, the years not appearing to have slowed him down at all, quite possibly the result of cybernetic and bioware enhancements. The only obvious implant though is a simple chipjack located just behind his right ear.

As is typical of his race he has two protruding short tusks as well as pointed ears, though both are quite subtle compared to some. His skin has a tanned complexion to it, probably the result of working outdoors in sunny climates, his dark brown hair is kept clipped in a short mohawk and his eyes are hidden behind a pair of red tinted, NuWave smart goggles.

According to Mal, Bossman seemed to think that the GEI issue uniform didn't fit with the image that the studio was trying to project so all of the security teams had been instructed to dress in nondescript clothing that would fit in with the crowd. Consequently Kord was dressed in his clubbing gear, a heavy armoured coat, styled to look like a black combat jacket, covered in pockets like an assault vest, over a white t-shirt with the symbol for the neo-punk band Rancid Anomaly on it and black cargo pants festooned with buckles and unnecessary straps.

Shifting his holdall he adjusted it so that it hung easily over his left shoulder, continuing to scan the street while he did so. Seeing nothing obviously untoward he headed towards the bar, his high leg combat boots crunching something underfoot as he strode across the road. There were gang markings on the walls, a symbol that he didn't recognise, and he initiated a search on his PocSec from his goggles, keen to understand who controlled the ground in this area and whether it was contested or not. The club was probably paying protection to someone and his guess was the local gang.

Approaching the bouncer on the front door he nodded in greeting. "Hey bud. I've got a meet with Zavier Devlin. He's the Corp hiring this place." The HUD from his goggles showed the time to be 19:48 so it was still quite early, not just for the meet but for patrons at the bar as well. There wasn't any queue for Matchsticks at this time of night and there was only a single bouncer controlling entry but he suspected that it would hot up later, hopefully for whatever act the studio was promoting.
Acme
 player, 51 posts
 Coyote Shaman
 Avowed Pain In The Ass
Thu 5 Mar 2020
at 01:20
Re: [December 2059] Mayhem and Mistletoe
quote:
@Acme: Your sense of equality never fails to surprise me song-singer comes the spirit's voice in your mind What do I want?  Well, as you ask, let me take a moment to teach.  It is my nature after all. it adds with a paternal chuckle My plane is closely aligned with yours.  I exist, in this form anyway, only because this place exists as you see it now.  I've come to enjoy the way I am.  I fear the way things are going across the bay.  Among my kind we feel the ripples of man's activity.  We are spirits of your essence after all. A reflection of you.  Imagine,two whole races of beings so intrinsically linked, so completely tied to one another, so deeply ingrained and yet so many on both sides of the relationship completely ignorant.  All I ask of you, is that if a reckoning comes, remember those of us on the other side who are caught in it too.

You also have a message waiting on your PocSec:

:: LTG# 804 (72-9021) :: {Hellfire}
Got biz.  You looking?  Tonight at 8.
>>>This message includes a pin drop to Matchsticks (a bar in downtown Oakland)


Acme smiles.  "Of course.  I am one who talks with the spirits, yeah?  I'm not like those hermetics who see you as a ball of energies and math, and I'm honored that you have given your wisdom to me and my students."  He listened intently to the spirit's warning and request, and crossed his arms with a nod.  "That's part of what I'm here for.  The... people I work with have me here to watch the bay, and considering our specialty I know damn well it means your kind as well.  I pledge to do what I can to help you out.  Mai* knows that I've already helped out up North, and you've done too much for me this brief time for me to let you down, Professor.  If you like, I've left a stack of some of my more promising students' papers in my bunkhouse for you to enjoy...."  He pulled up his pocsec as it chirped.  "But I'm afraid that's all I can offer at the moment, I'm due for some work."  He flicks the Y on the request and bows respectfully to the spirit.

19:45

As he decides now would be the best time for this, he didn't do much else to change his appearance for the night.  He knew that some people paid for the obvious appearance of "shaman" so he gave them what they expected, as there wasn't need to hide his gift for the moment, especially in the more open-minded environs of Oakland/Berkley.  For now though, it was just wait on Hellfire outside of Matchsticks while people gathered for the night..
Mr. Johnson
 GM, 140 posts
Thu 5 Mar 2020
at 02:26
Re: [December 2059] Mayhem and Mistletoe
Kord’s description of the Matchsticks exterior is spot on. The place is early weekday evening dead but there are sure signs that when the concert fires up in a few days, the local clientele mixed with eager concert goers will have the place jumping...

Inside Matchsticks is three quarters empty. Flat black paint covers every surface, including old furniture, plastic plants, burned out trid monitors, tables and chairs. Every chair back, table edge, baseboard and corner join is accented with some kind of luminescent glowing neon green paint giving the club a punk rock photonegative quality. Despite external appearances and the lack of a slick online node, the club has a very hip energy.

Feel free to go inside and hang around if you have time to post before I get around to “The Meetup” (likely not until Sunday). Everyone is welcome to make observations about the decor, liquor selection, weeknight clientele or quality of the service.
Mr. Johnson
 GM, 142 posts
Thu 5 Mar 2020
at 02:37
Re: [December 2059] Mayhem and Mistletoe
Devlin and Pearlman have not arrived...
Grendel
 player, 45 posts
Thu 5 Mar 2020
at 14:33
Re: [December 2059] Mayhem and Mistletoe
As Grendel let himself in behind another employee through the service door he could practically feel the eyes on him. Even here, in Oakland, they suggested that he did not belong, and that he needed to explain himself. What he assumed were the employees were looking around as if daring one another to be the first to speak up. And they had not even really noticed the shotgun yet, they seemed too busy staring at his home made tire tread sandals.

They probably think I'm lookin for a hand out... Grendel realized, then spoke up to the one nearest to them. "Evenin, I'm lookin for Pearlman? he asked, and when he did not get an answer immediately he followed up with "Is he around?"

"Not yet" a vaguely Asian looking Orc finally answered him from atop a ladder where he seemed to be swapping out some kind of lighting fixture. She gestured towards a double door with the screwgun in her hand. "If you want to hang out up front, I'll let him know you're here." she assured him, before Grendel meandered through the doors up and towards the larger main floor.

As he stepped in he had to squint a little. There was something about the paint and light combination that made his Troll eyes ache in a very subtle way and he had a hard time putting his finger on just what was causing it. There was so much to take it, but the thing that caught his attention first was the walls.

They were black, anybody could look at the room and tell you that, but they had been white before that. All around the room, mostly at waist height, or shoe height, but all over the place were scuff marks. Thousands upon thousands of boots, high heels, purses, buttons, zippers, watches, pistol butts and who knew what else had collided with it at some point. There were a few more obvious impacts, at least one bullet hole that had been patched, but the impression was clear.

This place was regularly packed with people, like a giant circulating washing machine where everybody at the edge had to scoot around the mass of meta-humanity at the center.

As Grendel lingered near the back door on the slightly elevated section approaching the DJ's booth, he suspected that they would have their work cut out for them.

This message was last edited by the player at 14:34, Thu 05 Mar 2020.

Hellfire
 player, 27 posts
Sat 7 Mar 2020
at 16:58
Re: [December 2059] Mayhem and Mistletoe
The wheels squealed as the breaks super-heated at the abrupt ceasing of forward motion. The rubber fought for purchase against the old tarmac parking lot. Hellfire ignored the itch in his foot "I know, I know. Sorry." He said to his vehicle. The Volkswagen bus was an antique shell hiding a completely rebuilt interior and upgraded mechanics.Hellfire thought back to the months he had spent, not to mention the yen, on lovingly restoring the junked heap into this marvelous piece of modern engineering. It wasn't exactly how he wanted it, There were many more modifications Hellfire wanted to add when he got the time and money but for now he was happy with special surprises he has installed.

With a thought he turned off the bus and pulled himself back to his meat bag. He popped open the driver's door and hopped to the ground into the cold. He let out a little shiver as leaving his climate controlled cab exposed him to the elements. He instinctively activated the security system. It wasn't anything too elaborate, It was rigged to let out a high decibel alarm as well as send his pocsec an alert should anyone attempt to break in. Thanks to his tinkering he also added a remote override that he could use to disable the drive train. A little trick he picked up back in the Cascade where car theft was practically a way of life. The real deterrent was the remote activated Roto-Drone in the back. If it couldn't handle the potential thief with it's M-23 then Hellfire would rather use the Rockets instead of letting some grubby go-ganger wannabe take his bus. Hellfire had always believed in the "Scorched Earth" philosophy when dealing with that sort of thing.


He walked toward Matchsticks and took in the outside of the building. Typical set up. Couple exterior cameras, probably just for show. The bouncer looks appropriate to the setting. Nothing out of the ordinary." He assessed. As he approached he found Acme waiting for him. "Kahée" He called out as he approached. "You been waitin'long?"

This message was last edited by the player at 17:01, Sat 07 Mar 2020.

Acme
 player, 52 posts
 Coyote Shaman
 Avowed Pain In The Ass
Sat 7 Mar 2020
at 23:49
Re: [December 2059] Mayhem and Mistletoe
"Ya'ateh, iilápaache" he said with a grin.  Mixing words from both their tribes, the sort of compromise that showed the equal respect between the two.  He took a bit of a yawn as he looked over Hellfire's latest baby; it was a sight better than that piece of drek they were rattling around in before.  "Nah, I just got here a bit ago.  So what's this work?"  He pushed off the wall and stretched out a bit, rolling his shoulders.
Hellfire
 player, 28 posts
Sun 8 Mar 2020
at 04:37
Re: [December 2059] Mayhem and Mistletoe
"Don't know Omae" Hellfire said. he pulled a elect-a-vape out of his pocket and breathed in a long pull. After extruding a large cloud of mist he continued.  "My contact' He voice cracked a little as he said that. He continued "Only told me we might have to work security for some concert or something." He took another pull of his vape. "I don't keep up with the kids music these days."

"I can tell you, If this ain't worth our time I gonna walk quick fast." He turned the power off on his unit and looked to the mage. "We are looking for a cat called Pearlman, guess we should get this done desu ne?"

This message had punctuation tweaked by the player at 04:43, Sun 08 Mar 2020.

Acme
 player, 53 posts
 Coyote Shaman
 Avowed Pain In The Ass
Sun 8 Mar 2020
at 17:16
Re: [December 2059] Mayhem and Mistletoe
Acme thought about Hellfire's comments and grunted.  "Hmm, security for a concert.  That doesn't seem like something they'd hire runners for, maybe it's a smokescreen?"  He nodded to the second sentiment though.  "At least I'll give 'em an ear.  And heh I'm with you.  I listen to what's on the radio, but I don't bother following it unless they get a second album.  I mean, if those guys from the Tir are right, elves like me are gonna be immortal or some drek like that anyway, so I got time right?"  He chuckled and looked to the doors as he pulled out a credstick and fiddled with it as he looked at the bouncer.

"Pearlman, eh?  All right, we hit the employees entrance or start taking expense notes now?"
Mr. Johnson
 GM, 144 posts
Sun 8 Mar 2020
at 21:52
Re: [December 2059] Mayhem and Mistletoe
Late arrivals
Pearlman (fixer) – all around average looking human in his early 40's with salt and pepper hair and a heavy black moustache.  He's wearing a crisp, modern looking floor length duster and snakeskin cowboy hat; neo-western chic, that most folks are unable to pull off but on him it seems perfectly natural.  On his hip he carries a Colt Manhunter MP heavy pistol, standard issue for the California Rangers, which seems further circumstantial evidence for the rumor that Pearlman started out wearing a badge.

Zavier Devlin (executive) – clean cut human who, through a combination of cosmetic surgery and designer drugs will look perpetually mid-30s until he drops dead.  Blonde and fit with gym, or perhaps vat-grown, muscles that rarely see any real physical efforts in the Apogee Studios offices.  The executive is wearing something a mid-level corper might consider appropriate as urban camoflage, designer jeans, black silk button down decorated with a stylized pastel dragon that flies lazily over the right shoulder, around the executive's back and across the front of his shirt again in a video loop woven into the fabric.  On his wrist, a Fuchi Chronomer wrist computer in flashy gold.

Marissa Gregory (activist) – the dark haired orc has her hair tied back, she may be greying a bit and wearing tasteful make-up to cover some early wrinkles, but in person she exudes the confidence and poise one would expect of the political voice of The October 25 Alliance.  She's chosen a professional looking skirt, blouse and blazer in copyright protected Zoe Heritage line earth tones; pretty much the uniform of her trade.  Omnipresent in her ring-covered hand is an Cross Advanced Electronics PocSec.

Tell it to them straight
While sound, light and sim techs busy themselves with pre-show planning and a few regulars nurse cans of Sapporo everyone settles in pulling up chairs around a corner booth.  Pearlman makes a few brief introductions before handing over to the would be Mr and Ms Johnson.

Gregory takes the lead, laying out the security job.  Ever the budding politician, she focuses on the importance that the October 25 Alliance and Apogee need to come through the concert series without a major security incident.  Before she loses your collective interest, she starts to lay out the details. “With a lack of serious interest from Imperial-backed security forces in the 'plex, we have turned to GEI and local freelancers like yourselves to provide security.  GEI is contracted to provide the on-site security and will bring in tech and manpower to provide entry control and security presence here at Matchsticks and for other venues in the city.” she explains.  “What we need to further support the concert program is to ensure the safety and security of Apogee's talent while they are guests in the city.  That's where we hope we can count on your support.”

Devlin jumps in only once, to add: “One of our brightest young stars will be playing this venue.  Your job is to keep Freya safe from the moment she steps off the plane until she leaves Oakland.”

In short, they need muscle (Grendel), wheels (Hellfire) and magical support (Acme) to keep Freya safe while she is in town for the show.  Since GEI is responsible for security at the venue, they are insisting on someone to act as go-between with the mercs and facilitate communication between the bodyguards and the venue security teams... plus a little extra muscle never hurt (Kord).
Grendel
 player, 46 posts
Sun 8 Mar 2020
at 22:20
Re: [December 2059] Mayhem and Mistletoe
Grendel had felt out of place before. But not, seated with the others, he felt like a visitor from another country.

There, in his tire tread and p-cord sandals, his hand stitched pants, his olive drab surplus jacket he stood out, and not in a good way. His blond mane of partially braided hair, his bushy beard and slight but present odor natural odor did nothing to help that.

But hey, he was fraggin huge, so there was that.

In his eyes, these were the professionals he had expected to meet. The one Orc looked like a bad ass, and probably the ex-military variety. He struck him that he had never actually known anybody that had served in a military. There were so many questions that he had about that sort of thing, and avenue that if he was honest, would be forever closed to him even if he had developed the inclination.

The second Orc, smaller, wiry for his kind, looked like he belonged there. That easy confidence, the edge to him that spoke to him being in his native element. This was not his first job, that was obvious.

And the elf, cocky maybe? Hard to say, but it seemed like it was for good reason. Sharp eyed, and with an aura about him that seemed some how familiar, but alien at the same time. The energy was there, he could feel it, and it made him stand out in ways that were hard to describe. Some would call it charisma, or magnetism he guessed.

The others, on the "employer" side of the table seemed imposing in their own way. No nonsense types, eager to talk to concrete terms and to get on with other important things. This was a life changing event for Grendel, it seemed like it was just a check box on a task list for them.

"Freya? Like the Goddess?" It was an odd question, sure. But he seemed to find the reference amusing perhaps, or interesting. Maybe even sacrilegious in a benign sort of way.

But his time was also an open door, an invitation to explain more about their charge.
Mr. Johnson
 GM, 145 posts
Mon 9 Mar 2020
at 22:34
Re: [December 2059] Mayhem and Mistletoe
Devlin seems a bit surprised that the backwoods troll is the first to break the ice but quickly regains his poker face. “It’s her birth name. She’s from the Faroe Islands so there is that nordic heritage, yeah. She’s an incredibly rare musical and magical talent.  She calls herself a pyske - what we would call a pixie.”
Kord
 player, 24 posts
Tue 10 Mar 2020
at 18:55
Re: [December 2059] Mayhem and Mistletoe
Kord nodded as the job was outlined and Devlin then explained that Freya was a Pixie. He hasn't met a Pixie before so this was going to be interesting.

"OK, I've got a couple of questions," he said, addressing the group of employers. He gave the other three 'runners he was being teamed up with a quick nod of greeting as he started talking, unclear whether they already knew each other or not. Regardless he had a lot of things to ask about the job so he took a lead in the conversation. If he was stepping on any toes then they could figure that out later. "Firstly, just to be clear, which one of you is paying us for this job?" he asked Pearlman, Devlin and Gregory before clarifying further. "Essentially, which one of you three is in charge?" With three of them there is was important to establish who had precedence if there was a conflict of interest. And who they would go looking for to frag if they didn't get paid. He didn't ask how much they were being offered for the job though, he would come to that eventually. With a bit of luck he could get paid by both GEI and one of these three.

"Secondly, how long is Freya in town? I assume that you can give us details of her itinerary and where she's staying during her visit. Thirdly does she have a posse with her? Any hangers on that we need to know about and factor into her security?" He was starting to tick things off a mental list was running through in his mind. "Next, are you providing a vehicle to transport her and any posse around in? And lastly what kind of person is she? Is she going to stay put in her hotel room when she's not working or are we gonna need to go running round town escorting her to different bars and clubs?"
Acme
 player, 54 posts
 Coyote Shaman
 Avowed Pain In The Ass
Tue 10 Mar 2020
at 19:27
Re: [December 2059] Mayhem and Mistletoe
Once they were all gathered into the meeting room Acme took a relaxed seat.  Still trying to be professional, at least as professional as Coyote can ever be.  He goes in and out of astral perception for a moment, giving a look like he's dozing or stoned to those not used to Awakened.  The Military orc and the rustic troll didn't seem to faze him, as they looked like good enough muscle.

For now, he kept to his own thoughts, as Kord seemed to handle the quality questions that came to mind for now.
Hellfire
 player, 29 posts
Wed 11 Mar 2020
at 01:41
Re: [December 2059] Mayhem and Mistletoe
Hellfire purposely sat separated from Acme. Best to cover more angles if this goes sideways. He thought. Hellfire gave a small nod as Pearlman introduced him but otherwise sat quietly. He took stock of each of the three "Johnsons" Internally he thought.
Pearlman-Typical fixer. He reads like a hundred chummers I seen before him, Wouldn't want to test his gun arm but I doubt he is keen to pull iron.
Zavier Devlin-What a plug! I bet he craps in a gold rimmed toilet. If this meet don't go well I can buy a new van after I take his watch. Douche
Marissa Gregory-Now she is a looker. I bet all that uptight clothes is camo to hide the wild demon of passion she is on the inside. Couple more drinks and I might have to make a play regardless if I blow the run.

After his initial assessment he continued to listen to the details of the gig. Hellfire heard the troll ask about Freya and he assessed the man Grendel-Well he is big, but ain't they all? He looks smarter then most I met so that's something. Got a kind face, Something about the eyes. Probably a serial killer best keep an eye on that one.

Mr. Douche Bla bla bla'ed an answer to the question that Hellfire ignored. He turned his attention to the other ork, Since he was talking it didn't seem weird to stare at him. Kord-Nice to have another ork around. This guy looks like he can bench press a bus. Be glad to have him onside. If I had to put money I would say he would probably come out on top of a tussle with Pearlman and maybe even Kord. This is going to be interesting if nothing else.

He looked across the table at Acme and gave him a little wink. He took a pull of his drink. Acme-Always best to have a friend at your back when faced with these kinda things. At the very least I will have someone to talk to.
Mr. Johnson
 GM, 148 posts
Thu 12 Mar 2020
at 00:56
Re: [December 2059] Mayhem and Mistletoe
Who is in charge?
Marissa replied simply: “October 25 provides the connections to the community.  Apogee is paying the bills and sets the agenda”

Compensation
Your compensation comes through GEI,” Devlin added, speaking directly to Kord.  “I believe if you review the terms and conditions of the agreement you'll find expanded duties such as this are well within the framework of the contract.” he adds with a humourless, perhaps even predatory smile.  It's clear that talk of nuyen has triggered the suit's instinctive business savvy.  “For the others, I will retain your services effective immediately, Your payout is 12,000¥ all in, half up front, half on completion, paid in unregistered certified credsticks.”

Itinerary
“Today is Thursday,” he continued, glancing at his PocSec, “Freya arrives tomorrow at Oakland International with the concert planned for Saturday evening and her departure scheduled for Sunday afternoon.  I'll leave you a chip with the details on her arrival and departure.”

Posse
“She will be travelling with a small retinue, a couple of friends from back home who are not covered under the security agreement but will wish to travel with her and therefore need to be considered for transportation.”

Transportation
“Pearlman here assures me that transportation can be figured out on your end,” Devlin replied.

Pearlman added: “– or I'll source something for you if need be.  I can also sort out the necessaries you'll need to get past security checks for your credentials at Oakland airport. SINs and weapons permits won't be a problem.” he turns to Devlin and adds, ”At a modest increase onto my end.”

@Hellfire - your VW seats two up front (driver and passenger).  In the back it will easily fit a pixie and two hangers on.  It would be tight with either Grendel or Kord back there since a bunch of space is taken up by "special features"... either way, someone will need to ride separately or you will need to find a full sized bus to fit you all in...

Freya's personality
Devlin nodded and continued, “As for Freya, she comes from a remote community but has very recent exposure to city life and has shown a young woman's interest in whatever nightlife or entertainment local 'plex might have to offer.  She will not be overly demanding and is still growing into her rockstar status, thankfully showing no signs of becoming an unmanageable diva, but you should expect her to want to check out the local scene on Friday night.”



For your next round of posts, break them into three parts:
(1) Anything else you want to discuss with Mr / Ms J before they leave.
(2) Anything you want to discuss with Pearlman once the Johnsons have left.
(3) Anything you want to discuss as a team after Pearlman leaves.

Hellfire
 player, 30 posts
Thu 12 Mar 2020
at 08:46
Re: [December 2059] Mayhem and Mistletoe
To Everyone
"That's twelve K each right? I am sure you ain't trying to buy no top tier security for your Wiz bang pop icon for no four K each. I got the transport for your girl and the tag a'longs but the other'gobs in our group will need their own ride or we gotta get something bigger. As you all know... bigger costs."

To Pearlamn
This cherry don't squeeze right. I gonna'need you to think of that one little bit of information that you ain't supposed to tell us and spill. Like say 'Has princess pixie-pants got a death mark on her head' you know.. important stuff.

To the group
Who's round is it?

This message was last edited by the player at 08:54, Thu 12 Mar 2020.

Mr. Johnson
 GM, 149 posts
Thu 12 Mar 2020
at 09:48
Re: [December 2059] Mayhem and Mistletoe
“Christmas is just around the corner, but we’re not in such a giving mood. Payout is 12K all in. How you divide that up is your decision. With an even split pulling in a thousand a day doesn’t seem too bad. If you have something that pays better, I’ll certainly understand.” Devlin replies.

Apogee is offering about the right amount for some semi-legit work that should be easy nuyen.
Kord
 player, 26 posts
Thu 12 Mar 2020
at 22:19
Re: [December 2059] Mayhem and Mistletoe

Before Devlin & Gregory leave:


Kord nodded at Gregory as she clarified that Apogee were paying the bills for this job and setting the agenda. That put them in charge in Kord's book and he mentally relegated Gregory to Devlin's lackey for future conversations. That was possibly a mistake but he was used to clear command structures. Devlin reinforced this assessment in Kord's mind when he reminded the Merc that he was being paid by GEI rather than as part of the deal being negotiated. It didn't show on his face but Kord noted that he was going to be earning less for the week than these runners were going to earn for a couple of days work. Yet another reason why going independent and taking jobs as a runner looked to be more profitable than continuing with his GEI contract. Maybe it was finally time to make the change and become a Shadowrunner rather than a Merc.

"Is there any nuyen for gear?" he asked Devlin directly, bypassing the question of his own fee. "If we're nursemaiding her out clubbing then we gonna need to look the part or we'll stick out badly. I know frag all about PR but if you're trying to build her image then it's worth you making sure we look the part as well." From his question it was clear that he did have a basic understanding of how to build an image, regardless of what he said. He then glanced round the rest of the team that was being formed before speaking to the group as a whole. "And if anyone wants gatts then now's the time to speak up. For me, I could do with a compact SMG, something I can keep under a jacket like an Ingrams." He half expected, however, for Devlin to instruct him to talk to GEI.

"Grendel, you got access to some wheels?" he asked the Troll before turning to Devlin. "I've got a bike but I reckon we could do with a single vehicle that all of us can travel in. That way we've just got one guy driving and the rest of us scanning, not three driving and only one scanning. Are you paying if Pearlman can source something?"



Before Pearlman leaves:

"Hey budd, give me your number before you go," he said to the Fixer. "I may have some other business to put your way in the future."



After Pearlman leaves:

"Hellfire, are you wired to run a rig?" he asked his fellow Ork. "If I can get access to some surveillance drones from GEI can you control them? Give us extra eyes."
Grendel
 player, 48 posts
Thu 12 Mar 2020
at 22:36
Re: [December 2059] Mayhem and Mistletoe
Kord:
"Grendel, you got access to some wheels?" he asked the Troll before turning to Devlin. "I've got a bike but I reckon we could do with a single vehicle that all of us can travel in. That way we've just got one guy driving and the rest of us scanning, not three driving and only one scanning. Are you paying if Pearlman can source something?"


Grendel scratched at his thick beard. "I've got a truck..." He began, his tone warning them all that there was a "but" coming. "But she's old and roughed up. Be great if she wanted to go camping, but otherwise I don't think she'd want to be seen anywhere near it. That and it sticks out. Bed's free though for anything we might want to throw back there, and I've got a little spare room in the cab, just the one seat, but cases or bags would fit." He seemed to remember. "And she's not rigged for for the grid. All manual...not, like, stick shift, but you know what I mean" Even in his world only the rest folks even remembered those, but he felt the need to clarify or been seen as truly backwards.

When it came to hear he nodded. "Clothes, yeah, probably gonna need those." he could probably also use a shower and access to a washing machine but he was not about to say that out loud.
Hellfire
 player, 34 posts
Sat 14 Mar 2020
at 14:37
Re: [December 2059] Mayhem and Mistletoe
Before the Johnsons go.
"Fair enough,  how much do you care about your girls reputation? I assume the little diva ain't gonna want to be paparazzied stepping outta my jalopy. If you care about her at all, you should spring for a limo."

Hellfire answers Kord with a nod. "Yeah chummer, I am all rigged up to Jack in. He glances over at Grendel. For driving around town my bus works for us but it will be tight in the back" he takes another pull of his drink. </blue>"Add in the asset and a couple extra meat sacks and there ain't no room for orks or trolls."</blue>
Mr. Johnson
 GM, 157 posts
Sat 14 Mar 2020
at 17:46
Re: [December 2059] Mayhem and Mistletoe

Acme
 player, 55 posts
 Coyote Shaman
 Avowed Pain In The Ass
Sat 14 Mar 2020
at 18:22
Re: [December 2059] Mayhem and Mistletoe
With the J-

Acme frowns at the pay; with the offseason of the U coming up 4k isn't that great, especially once they confirm that's what it was, but he just sits back watching the fireworks in the astral.  He figured he could still lean back on his old SIN if need be, so the permits weren't necessary.

With Perlman-

Acme waits patiently for Perlman to answer the question about anything they need to know about the pixie.  He'd give her a once-over with his astral once they met her, but it would be good to know about any sort of surprises.

After Perlman

"Well this is a pain in the ass.  Escort quest, eh?  I can get a spirit or two to follow us around in case, and I guess I can blend in as a roadie if we need security on the inside to make sure things go right."
Mr. Johnson
 GM, 159 posts
Sat 14 Mar 2020
at 21:25
Re: [December 2059] Mayhem and Mistletoe
Gregory and Devlin

Wheels, Guns and Gear
Devlin's eyes narrow and he replies: “Overhead and supply chain is your problem.  I'm not interested in discussing your gear or your weapons... or...”  He trails off momentarily, eyes settling first on Acme, then on Grendel.  Then he turns to Hellfire and adds excitedly, “You know what?  You raise a really good point.” you can almost see the wheels turning; and you aren't sure you like the direction they are going, but like a smartframe controlled road train, this juggernaut is already rumbling forward.  “I've been thinking too small.  This is a PR goldmine if we play things right.  Tell you what, you've got a deal.  I'll bring the wardrobe team out here tomorrow morning.  Call it ten o'clock.  You guys meet me here and I'll get you all suited up.  Tres chic stuff, real flash.  You're all gonna love it.  Oh man, this is gonna be great.  I'll get logistics to spring for a limo bus and line up a trid crew to follow you all around for the weekend.  We'll get some great stuff.  Real candid seedy underbelly of the 'plex footage.  So rock and roll.  Hopefully enough to make a concert trid.  I'm telling ya, there will be some big bonuses for you guys if this all plays out right.  Hell, I might be able to get you double.  Oh baby!  I gotta make some calls.” he says standing up and tossing a handful of credsticks onto the table.

With Gregory in tow gushing something like "...the positive message will be a great opportunity to connect with the wider community and counter the Imperial narrative..." they are out the door and into the back seat of a waiting Toyota Elite.

Pearlman

The dirt on Freya
Pearlman shakes his head muttering “I see why you like that girl, Hellfire.  Ya both talk too damn much.” he says with a good-natured chuckle and signalling the bored looking waitress for a round of beers.  “No real harm done though.  I got a feeling somethin' like that was gonna end up happening no matter what.  To answer your question, the buzz on this kid Freya is nova hot.  Won't be nothing to worry you, but just so you know, she might be the next big thing.  No one seems to be out to hurt her, but lots of folks are watching her, and Apogee, with interest.  Folks with big fat credsticks.”

Guns
Turning to Kord, he adds “You need guns, I'm your guy.  Here, I'll beam you that number you asked for...” he adds letting his PocSec pair to share his number.  “An Ingrams shouldn't be too much trouble.  You guys get me back with the specs for anything else that you need.  I'll see what I can pull together for tomorrow morning.  Fair market prices.”

SINs
“Chummers, you got nothing to worry about with Oakland airport security.  The place leaks like the oil pan on a '55 Blitzen.  You will need to be prepared to expect some formalities from the rent-a-cops they got working there.  I'll have some passable SINs with all the right permits for ya first thing in the morning... and I'll send the bill to Apogee.  No cost to you.” he adds on his way out to door.  You can here the throaty engine of his bike roar to life and rumble down the street.

Team
There is 6000¥ in unregistered cred and a fresh round of beers sitting on the table...

Kord needs to make some calls to pull in a favour to see if he can score a surveillance drone from GEI's inventory...

Acme made a suggestion about being an incognito player positioned inside the club...

A map of Matchsticks is included above.  You've got the run of the place to snoop around and plan.  You've got about twelve hours to do legwork and get some sleep before you're supposed to meet Devlin and Co at Matchsticks in the morning...

Great scene everyone!  PocSecs updated +1 XP.

Kord
 player, 27 posts
Sat 14 Mar 2020
at 23:21
Re: [December 2059] Mayhem and Mistletoe

Before Devlin & Gregory leave:


"Go for a Hummer limo rather than a limo bus," he commented to Devlin as he was getting up from the table to leave. "A big mean one if you can get it. It'll create more of a buzz. And your wardrobe guys better be able to handle armour. We'll still need to be able to do our job."



Before Pearlman leaves:

"A smarted Ingram with seven clips of ammo," he clarified to Pearlman. Enough ammo to for several firefights with a bit of luck, but that was how Kord liked to approach things. Enough ammo to get himself out of the shit should all hell break loose. "Also, if I need an intro to a decker do you have someone? Not an ops decker, just someone who can hack some stuff for me in the background."



After Pearlman leaves:

"Yea," Kord replied to Acme's comment about Freya. "We could end up escorting her all over the place playing tour guide. Any of you know this city well? I'm new in town myself." He planned to get himself one of those tourist chips that gave you the low down on all the best places to go. Unfortunately they also came with a lot of advertising that could drive you mad unless you managed to suppress it all.
Acme
 player, 57 posts
 Coyote Shaman
 Avowed Pain In The Ass
Sun 15 Mar 2020
at 00:17
Re: [December 2059] Mayhem and Mistletoe
Acme looked sour over the idea of them being redressed.  He poked at his longcoat and rolled his eyes.  Ah well, if he got to keep the clothes, they could be used for something in the future, a run perhaps.  At Kord though he gave a wide grin.  "Ah... sure, yeah, I've been around here and there.  I mostly just suggested me being a roadie for insider kind of watch since I can just float around in astral..."
Hellfire
 player, 35 posts
Sun 15 Mar 2020
at 01:20
Re: [December 2059] Mayhem and Mistletoe
"What...the...frag...just...happened?" Hellfire asked the universe. He sat looking poleaxed as everyone cleared out. He shook his head and took up his new drink. "Anyway. Looks like the ride is sorted. As for gear I got my personal side arm, Ares Predator. I will take what is offered but I am not about wasting our resources to get me a pretty boom stick. If this run ever comes down to relying on me to play cavalry with a machine gun then we are well and truly fragged. If the crew can spare it, I wouldn't mind a couple of eyes in the sky to help us keep over watch on the asset. MTC has been working on some bug-likes that would be wiz for this. Also a little GPS tracker wouldn't go wrong here. Link it to all our Pocsecs that way if someone nabs her we can track her down. Now I ain't normally paranoid but I think we should probably get four GPS. One obvious two hidden and if the girl will allow one sub-dermal tag. He pulled out an electric vapor  apparatus and inhaled. When he exhaled a large musky scented cloud blew toward the ceiling.

"Other then that, I should be good. What do you'all need to babysit the pampered pompous pixie?"

This message was last edited by the player at 01:24, Sun 15 Mar 2020.

Grendel
 player, 49 posts
Sun 15 Mar 2020
at 02:01
Re: [December 2059] Mayhem and Mistletoe
Grendel was a little stunned himself, but for an entirely different reason. Everybody was acting like pocketing four thousand NuYen for a few days work was normal. While true they did not actually have it all yet, it was a hope, a real hope.

He hardly felt qualified to chime in, but when Hellfire asked, Grendel shrugged. "I wonder if anybody makes like an armored bag, or a case or somethin. Some place we could hide her if things get ugly." he said. It was an unorthodox suggestion to be sure, but he had never even seen a pixie. So potentially the tactics for protecting one would be...non standard?

The prospect of their new outfits both intrigued him and gave him a weird sense of foreboding. Just what did they have planned?
Mr. Johnson
 GM, 161 posts
Sun 15 Mar 2020
at 15:31
Re: [December 2059] Mayhem and Mistletoe
Keeping track of GM responses you are waiting for:

Drones - either you’re borrowing from GEI or buying through Pearlman or going shopping in the morning...
(1) GEI can lend you two Microskimmers.  Return after the concert. You break it you buy it.
(2) Pearlman can get an MCT fly-spy in a hurry but at cost of 3K.
(3) You have some time to go shopping on your own if you want to see if you can do better.

Guns - so far you’re in for an Ingrams SMG, linked and loaded out. Pearlman will provide for 1K.

Pixie sized protection - nothing immediately jumps to mind, although the nightclub does have walk in chiller/freezer that could work in a pinch. Acme has plenty of time to ward it up if you want to use it as your on site panic room.

Mr. Johnson
 GM, 162 posts
Sun 15 Mar 2020
at 16:00
Re: [December 2059] Mayhem and Mistletoe
Trackers: You can do any/all of the following:
(1) use commercially available RFID tags that are linked to your PocSecs.  Super cheap: 50 nuyen and a trip to the mall can set this up but it will be range limited and may be impacted by walls (call it 1km max).
(2) use a burner PocSec with tracker enabled. You can print a cheap phone at any vending machine for like 25 nuyen. GPS gives long range coverage but it’s not micro sized.
(3) use a micro-transceiver with location sharing activated. This would allow voice communication at all times as well, but might be limited by walls or distance (same as the RFID tags). Trip to the mall will sort this out at 100 nuyen for each transceiver.  This would also be a good idea to keep the team in touch with each other while on the job.
(4) purpose built micro GPS transmitters linked to your PocSec or to a ground control station. This will take a successful Pull Strings roll. Each unit costs 500 nuyen.

Kord
 player, 29 posts
Sun 15 Mar 2020
at 16:53
Re: [December 2059] Mayhem and Mistletoe
(1) GEI can lend you two Microskimmers.  Return after the concert. You break it you buy it.
 - I was going to have Kord report in to GEI after we'd left Matchsticks and organise this as part of that conversation

Guns - so far you’re in for an Ingrams SMG, linked and loaded out. Pearlman will provide for 1K.
 - I'm not sure how Kord is paying for this as the funds being paid to the team are for the other three not him. I was hoping for a gear budget from Devlin but that hasn't happened. If it's easier Kord can just try to get what he wants from GEI.

Hellfire
 player, 38 posts
Sun 15 Mar 2020
at 17:04
Re: [December 2059] Mayhem and Mistletoe
"Contact...Kilo.Oscar.Romeo.Delta. Requesting munitions drop for current assignment. Come back. over." lol
Mr. Johnson
 GM, 163 posts
Sun 15 Mar 2020
at 17:05
Re: [December 2059] Mayhem and Mistletoe
In reply to Kord (msg # 47):

Pull Strings:
13:00, Today: Mr. Johnson, on behalf of Kord, rolled 13 using 2d6+1 ((6,6)).
Boxcars you lucky S.O.B.


Bilko says you can draw the SMG and the skimmers from the GEI armoury. With a wink he adds that he’ll write it all off after the mission. It’s all yours to keep at no cost!
Mr. Johnson
 GM, 169 posts
Tue 17 Mar 2020
at 23:53
Re: [December 2059] Mayhem and Mistletoe
If it works for you guys, I’ll fast forward to the morning at Matchsticks before the weekend... maybe Fri evening... unless you want another weekend round of postings for planning and legwork...
Grendel
 player, 50 posts
Wed 18 Mar 2020
at 00:52
Re: [December 2059] Mayhem and Mistletoe
Works for me.

This message was last edited by the player at 12:15, Thu 19 Mar 2020.

Hellfire
 player, 39 posts
Wed 18 Mar 2020
at 01:25
Re: [December 2059] Mayhem and Mistletoe
I got nothing else to do here I don't think
Mr. Johnson
 GM, 174 posts
Wed 18 Mar 2020
at 21:53
Re: [December 2059] Mayhem and Mistletoe
In reply to Hellfire (msg # 52):

You gonna chase down that 'trackers' idea any further?  In this crowd, it looks like Hellfire is all the tech support you're gonna get...
Kord
 player, 32 posts
Thu 19 Mar 2020
at 09:20
Re: [December 2059] Mayhem and Mistletoe
I'm fine to move on.

Mr. Johnson:
Bilko says you can draw the SMG and the skimmers from the GEI armoury. With a wink he adds that he’ll write it all off after the mission. It’s all yours to keep at no cost!

Thanks for this.

One minor thing though. Do you mean Major Malvada? She works for GEI and Bilko is an independent fixer separate to GEI.

This message was last edited by the player at 21:02, Thu 19 Mar 2020.

Mr. Johnson
 GM, 176 posts
Thu 19 Mar 2020
at 17:26
Re: [December 2059] Mayhem and Mistletoe
In reply to Kord (msg # 54):

"You look surprised to see me chummer!" Bilko says with a laugh over the vid-call connection.  "After that fiasco in Haiti, I got out of the Army.  Bounced around in the Atlanta for a bit before ending up out here.  California, man... he adds shaking his head.  "...every small town has their own private self defense force, local militia or company of patriots.  I make a pretty good living keeping them supplied.  Anyway, when GEI decided to come to town they needed a guy with local connections to handle in-flow of weapons and equipment and they looked me up.  It pays to stay in touch with the old community, you know?  You just got in right?  We should have a beer before you head back to Denver."
Acme
 player, 59 posts
 Coyote Shaman
 Avowed Pain In The Ass
Thu 19 Mar 2020
at 22:27
Re: [December 2059] Mayhem and Mistletoe
Acme perks up a bit, cracking his knuckles.  "I think we should do a little research on who we're guarding for, see if she's got a bit of wiz herself.  If she says she's a pixie I'm guessing there's a bit of magic involved, though I've heard of social adepts before..  See if she's got a large presence on the 'Trix, any stalkers or beef with other groups, aside from the usual supremacists and idiots."

This message was last edited by the player at 22:28, Thu 19 Mar 2020.

Mr. Johnson
 GM, 181 posts
Fri 20 Mar 2020
at 20:41
Re: [December 2059] Mayhem and Mistletoe
Loose ends:
-Emergency Measures: Grendel's idea for a way to keep Freya out of danger.  There are a few rooms in Matchsticks you could prepare for a last stand if you want to take the time now.

-Trackers: Hellfire's idea for trackers.  As above (msg #46) you can do this without rolling to Pull Strings unless you want to try and get micro GPS transmitters at 500¥ each.  Just tell me what you picked up.

-Matrix data trawl: Acme's idea for a public info on Freya or pixies or Apogee studios.  Casual browsing is no problem – you can each learn one thing from a quick look at your PocSec (you tell me what you learned keeping in mind, it may or may not be true).  If you want to dedicate time to research then please post your research plan, time spent and actions in your next post.  I'll roll Citation Needed as necessary.

Feel free to post any other character actions / legwork in your next post.


Onward...

>> FF >>
10:00 am at Matchsticks


Apogee's hair and wardrobe team are waiting as you arrive at Matchsticks.  They wait arrayed around craft services truck pouring complimentary soykaf or RealFruittm flavored breakfast drink and serving up morning pastries.  The small team of professional primpers descend upon you armed with clothing and accessories from Vashon Island's Morrisey line.  The armor woven into the stylish suit jackets won't be worth a damn in a serious fire-fight, but the dull, metallic gunmetal greatcoats keep out the winter chill and have a fine weave of Kevlar II through the fabric making them as good as any armored clothing on the market.  Apogee's stylists complete your outfits with fresh haircuts and Whitelaw electric sunglasses.  A free app you can download will pair the glasses to your PocSec giving you a makeshift HUD from your phone feed.  Not a bad deal since you aren't paying for any of it.

While the stylists go to work, a glossy black limo built on a Rolls-Royce Prairie Cat chassis is dropped off by Apogee's logistics division.  Inside there is plenty of space and amenities; a fully stocked refrigerator and wet bar, telcom with trid unit and matrix jackpoint with a subscription to Planetlink's gaming PLTG.  It's set up for both manual and rigger control with a powerful 5.0L hybrid petrochem-lithium battery fuelled engine under the hood to haul this beast.  It is a bit of a bus and not made for acceleration with the dual axle rear suspension making handling a bit stiff, but it will haul ass at a good clip once you get it up to top speed.

Rolls-Royce Prairie Cat Limo [seats 8, power 1, armor 1, sensor 1, frame 16, fuel 3]

Pearlman shows up for long enough to grab a soykaf and drop off some new SINs to load onto your credsticks.  He explains that the identities are from LA and, with the bad blood between the CFS and the free city, it should be tougher for Sacramento's inept Republic Bureau of Investigations to track the gaps.  It will be no problem getting past the rented security cops at Oakland International Airport.  These IDs might even fool the imp checkpoints downtown; not that you should push it that far if you can help it, but who knows, you might get lucky...

...and just in case you don't Pearlman also drops off a small satchel filled with medical gear.  Two trauma patches, four stim patches, an auto-injector of Crash and a rapid dermal infuser of Cryo.  “Hope you don't need it, but I'd like you to be around long enough for us to do biz together again.  And, I put it on all on Apogee's tab.”

PocSecs updated with new gear and nuyen.
-SIN (Plausible)
-Tres Chic armoured greatcoat (3 armor)
-Fine suit
-Whitelaw sunglasses (wearable tech)

Kord
 player, 38 posts
Sat 21 Mar 2020
at 21:55
Re: [December 2059] Mayhem and Mistletoe

Earlier at GEI


"Hey Bilko," replied Kord. "I didn't realise that Malvada had you on her payroll as well." In truth he hadn't realised that Bilko and Malvada knew each other, but then maybe it was a smaller and more connected world than he appreciated. He glanced round to check that they weren't overheard before continuing. "GEI's got a fat contract in Apogee so I reckon that you've got yourself a winner here if you scan it right."

He then ran through the gear that he needed with Bilko and his old army buddy was able to get the SMG and security skimmers for him. Even better Bilko could loose them in his accounting with GEI so they could keep them, no questions asked. Kord logged in his memory that he could get a favour out of Hellfire in return for the skimmers, something to bank for later at no extra cost to himself. He was very pleased with that.

After sorting out their gear requisitions with Bilko, Kord then made his way to the GEI command centre where Deckers working on the Apogee contract were based. He wanted a full background check on this Pixie Freya and her retinue, a copy of the itinerary that Apogee had logged with GEI and the virtual schematics of all locations that Freya was scheduled to either perform in or make a public appearance at. If there was a choice of Deckers to talk to he picked the one with the most dubious reputation, one who was interested in after hours, off the books private commissions, always looking to make himself another contact.



Now at Matchsticks

Kord smiled to himself as he adjusted the strap on his smarted Ingrams SMG so that it hung discreetly under the new Vashon Island lined coat he had been given. Apogee's wardrobe team had even inserted several pockets inside the coat to hold the Ingrams' spare magazines. They were truly talented, though the hair team had been a little offended when Kord had refused to let them rework his short mohawk. He was happy with how it looked and he wasn't about to allow any overly preened hair dresser change it.

He also took the Whitelaw sunglasses they gave him, choosing to keep them in their case and put them in a pocket, intending on selling them later if their return wasn't demanded. His own NuWave smart goggles had more features built into them and, though they weren't anything like as fashionable, they were critical to his rig out and he wasn't about to change them.

When Pearlman arrived with the SINs, Kord took his with a nod of appreciation and then loaded his holdall into the extended Prairie Cat alongside the medical kit that the fixer had also charged Apogee for. Kord wasn't a medic by trade but he had enough basic training and familiarity to use the items in the satchel. His own holdall was quite bulky and had that distinctive clink of metal on metal when it was moved, obviously containing additional firearms should Kord need something larger than an SMG. Hopefully it wouldn't come to that but Kord was prepared if it did.

Once Grendel was free from discussions with the Apogee makeover team, Kord made a beeline to him. "Hey bud. You and me is the physical security here. My weapon of choice is any kind of gatt but I can handle myself in close as well. What about you? You wanna stick close to our VIP while I roam?"
Grendel
 player, 53 posts
Sun 22 Mar 2020
at 02:16
Re: [December 2059] Mayhem and Mistletoe
Emergency Measures

Grendel had little experience with ballistics, fortifications or dignitary protection, but he was at least possessed of a utilitarian sort of critical thinking. He was used to getting jobs done with limited resources, and little oversight, so he tackled their impromptu safe room with a graceless enthusiasm.

He cleared away some of the adjacent shelving to make an easy ingress route for the whole team, much to the frustration of the team trying to prep the kitchen for a busy night. Likewise he took a walk around and felt he had more or less figured out which corner of the thing had the most metal and "stuff" around it to deflect rounds. He also took the time to figure out the thermostat, make sure the door could be operated easily and gave the rest of the team a quick brief angles of fire if they had to take up defensive positions in or around the thing.




Now at Matchsticks

Not only had Grendel never owned anything tailored, but he had never worn pants or shoes that had not been hand made around a campfire. In a weird way they actually felt more constricting, if only because he was so conscious about getting them dirty, or torn. His hulking frame looked kind of silly in a long coat, but his hair was easily two shades lighter after a good scrubbing and a trim. Likewise the glasses required a crash course in electronics operation...the big guy did not even know how to turn them on at first.

He did not even want to think about how much it had all cost.

When they were settling down to business, he nodded to Kord in a friendly way as he approached, and thought about the question for a few moments before he responded.

"Yeah, let's do that." he agreed with the more experienced Merc. "I'm probably gonna want to be up close anyway, I mean I'm not the best shot in the world, plus I only packed buckshot." he pulled out the side by side sawed off shotgun hanging on a loop of webbing, obviously a custom job for his troll sized hands. The antler inlay and hand carvings contrasted sharply against the composite of Kord's ingram, but a 12 gauge was a 12 gauge. He at least had the sense to keep it muzzle down. "Probably not the best tool, with the crowds and all that." he shrugged.
Kord
 player, 41 posts
Sun 22 Mar 2020
at 22:41
Re: [December 2059] Mayhem and Mistletoe
"You should talk to Pearlman about getting you an extra gatt," Kord replied to Grendel after looking at the Troll's shotgun. "Even if you don't need it now it'd be a bit of bonus on top of your fee." As a Merc there had been numerous occasions when Kord had kept some gear after the end of a contract and then sold it on to someone like Bilko or Pearlman for a bit of extra income. In fact there had even been one mission where his team had made more money from selling the gear they brought back with them than they had actually been paid for the job itself. Sometimes the paperwork of returning equipment wasn't worth the agro to the Corp and it was easier for them to just write it off.

"Or is you more of a hand to hand guy?" Kord continued to Grendel, noting that the Troll could easily rip the arms off a lot of people. "Bet you Pearlman could get you some kind of combat axe or even a mono katana if that's more your buzz." Kord had been on a contract once with an Elf who carried a mono katana and followed some strange kind of warrior code. He'd been a great scout and was lethal at close range with his katana. It had been a pity though when someone had shot him about six times with a rifle. Grendel looked like it would take a lot of rounds from a rifle to hurt him however.
Grendel
 player, 54 posts
Sun 22 Mar 2020
at 22:57
Re: [December 2059] Mayhem and Mistletoe
Grendel nodded along like he had some idea of what Kord was talking about, but in truth, he had only the faintest impression. Grendel was not a "gatt guy" or a "hand to hand" guy, he was  the "new guy" if anything. So new in fact that he had not developed a preference, or discovered any kind of aptitude towards anything in this new world he now found himself hip deep in.

He had never been to a gun store, he had never been to a firing range, and while he had "shot at" people, it had been in the middle of absolute chaos, where it was hard to tell if he was even hitting anything at all. And even then he had been pretty young.

He could not imagine carrying a sword around, and while he had been swinging an axe for most of his life, it had been at cedar rounds, or while clearing trees from the road.

"I'm still pretty new to all this..." he admitted a little sheepishly, and ran one hand back over his freshly washed hair. "It's my first time actually. I've gotten into stuff, don't get me wrong, I've just never been paid for it before."

"So any advice with this kind of stuff, I'd appreciate it." he managed a smile, then became a hint more serious. "I have spent some time in a Tank, like a bio-med vat. I've got some organic ware on board, so I'm not helpless...just, new." he thought for another moment.

"But that being said, I'm here to do work, I'll follow your lead...get it done. Just bear with me if I frag somethin up along the way yeah?" a corner of his mouth hinted at a smile again.

This message was last edited by the player at 02:22, Mon 23 Mar 2020.

Kord
 player, 43 posts
Sun 22 Mar 2020
at 23:56
Re: [December 2059] Mayhem and Mistletoe
Kord nodded in understanding at Grendel explained that this was his first paid contract. He'd helped a number of green soldiers in his time and Grendel seemed a lot more with it than many of them had been.

"Sure, I'll see you right," he said offering his hand to shake. "First thing is weapons. I ain't got the physicals you have so I need weapons." Even though he made himself sound small in comparison, Kord could clearly handle himself in hand to hand combat. He just lacked the size and build of Grendel. "You got a knife?" he continued while pulling wide either side of his new lined coat to show the weapons he was now carrying. "So I'm now carrying the SMG, a pistol and I've got a combat knife if things get real close. I've also got some heavier stuff in the limo in case all hell breaks loose. Doubt we'll need it but you never know. I reckon that you need to speak to Pearlman over there. Get yourself a blade of some kind you can keep under the coat and maybe something bigger that you can stash in the limo. Maybe a combat shotgun. That way you've got your sawn off and a knife for close work and the combat shotgun if it really kicks off. Sound like a plan? If it does then go tap Pearlman up and get him to add to Apogee's account."
Hellfire
 player, 49 posts
Mon 23 Mar 2020
at 00:06
Re: [December 2059] Mayhem and Mistletoe
Hellfire took in his new look. I look fragging amazing. "I look like ass." He said out-loud. The fashion gurus even saw fit to give him a Chauffeur cap which currently sat atop his head flattening his mo-hawk. He slid on the glasses and turned to his compatriots. "So is anyone else concerned they are going to use the footage from these glasses to make some sort of behind-the-scenes Trid, or worse we become extras in some reality show. The real protection of pixie stars" he said, his voice tainted with irony.

Upon seeing the limo he let out a long whistle. Hellfire walked the length of the vehicle taking in it's entirety. "Oh man. Now that's what I am talking about." He slides into the drivers seat and begins to adjust all the features to his preferences.

Ok So I am going to shell out the 500 for the custom Tag. I will request it is either sub-dermal or looks like a piercing or expensive ring not a necklace. I would prefer something that can't be removed or easily seen, maybe a pill she can swallow?. I will also buy 3 of the 50 yen ones and some jank jewelry to hide them in. The intention is I want 1 or two easily found ones that a potential kidnapper will find easy, 1 that is harder to find and 1 that is impossible to find. My intention is to route all the glasses to the GPS signals so everyone will be able to ping the location. Can I get a little Jammer that can block scanners or would that interfere with the GPS? I will also buy a sub-vocal mic and hidden ear piece for every team member that needs it and an extra one for the asset so we can communicate two way with her.

does the limo have a rigger interface?

Mr. Johnson
 GM, 194 posts
Mon 23 Mar 2020
at 02:29
Re: [December 2059] Mayhem and Mistletoe
@Kord: The company command post is slow with the night shift crew but one of the company decker’s, a woman named Angela, catches your eye and waves you over to her telcom terminal.  “I got a trace on that smartframe.  Chased it to an unregistered jackpoint out in the Dregs.  Whoever sent the trace had a burner phone slotted to the jackpoint.  A dead drop. I cracked the closest repeater tower and have the records on a hundred calls made within a few seconds of the smartframe leaving our system.  I can't push the trace any further right now, but I’ve put an SK onto sorting those calls.  Might take another day to find anything interesting.”

In the morning Angela is off-shift but you find this message on your PocSec:

:: LTG# 904 (62-9033) :: {Angel}
++Ran your scans.  Girl comes up squeakily clean.  All I found was album liner notes and fanspace nodes.  A couple of these fans don’t scan right.  Bordering on creepy lovesick infatuation.  Something you might wanna watch for.  Other details in the file.++
>>>This message includes a pin drop to Eastshore Manor (a boutique hotel in downtown Oakland - Emeryville)
>>>This message includes a 1Mp datafile.

>>>Begin file:
Flight... TC156A - BOS-OAK - arr 1345hrs 12/12/59
Hotel Booking... Eastshore Manor - Republican Suite
Sound/System Checks... Matchsticks - 1400hrs 13/12/59
Showtime... Matchsticks - 1930hs 13/12/59
Departure... TC159D – OAK-LAX – dep 1140hrs 14/12/59
>>>End file.



@Grendel: after your preparation of the walk in chiller and planning about how you could use it as a safe room: you Hold +1 for Rock and Roll at Matchsticks and hold +1 to Make it Rain for any team mate who is engaged in combat at Matchsticks.



@Hellfire:

Go Shopping
21:58, Today: Mr. Johnson, on behalf of Hellfire, rolled 6 using 2d6+1 ((2,3)).
Miss take +1 XP - you could Edge Bump this to a 7 for a weak success but the GPS and Jammer won’t arrive in time, so best to let it lie.


A quick trip to Discount Trid Hut yields almost everything you are looking for.  Without having to try very hard, you find the three RFID tags and can get freeware that links the signals to your PocSec.  Although the range is limited it will work pretty well in a pinch.  The transceivers are also easy to find and you pick up five without any fuss.  You find yourself a few nuyen lighter, but far better off for communications and surveillance.

RFID tags - 10¥ each: 30¥
Microtrancievers - 100¥  each: 500¥
PocSec updated...

...and yes, the limo is set up for rigger control

Grendel
 player, 55 posts
Mon 23 Mar 2020
at 02:51
Re: [December 2059] Mayhem and Mistletoe
Grendel nodded. "Sounds good boss, I'll get on it." the Troll nodded, then turned to do just that.

Now Grendel did not want another shotgun, he was very fond of his sawed off, it was his Blooding gift, it was a tangible connection to his Clan. But he was also not about to disregard advice from a Mercenary Captain on how he should go about this. Kord had been kind enough to not just brush him off, and if Grendel was going to come out of this in one piece, he was going to take all the help he could get.

"Mr. Pearlman?" he approached the fixer when he seemed to have a moment. "Kord said I should load up with something heavier just in case. Could you get me a bandoleer with, well kind of a sampler of shotgun shells? A mix of useful stuff depending on what we come up against? And...you've heard of Krime right? The gun company. They make this model called the Boss...maybe you've seen the ads?"

Everybody had seen the ads.




KRIME bum bum bum bump BOSS bum bum bum bump. KRIME bum bum bum bump BOSS. It was like an epileptics night terror, or what you imagine "psychological reconditioning" would be like. Gut shaking bass, flashing lights, quick takes between an inked up troll cracking his knuckles and quarter second tag lines like "Frag'em up" and "Dominate" flickering on the screen, trid style goons flying backwards lit up by a muzzle flash the size of a big ass pumpkin.





Oh, it was insulting. Terribly racist, I mean, the company was called Krime, and they obviously marketed to big metahumans. That was their whole schtick, guns built for inhuman hands. But they were one of the only ones to do so, it was pretty much them or KriegFaust and they marketed to kids.

No, he was not about to trade his lovingly crafted side by side for a hunk of soulless black composite. But he was also not going to bet his life on two rounds of buckshot being enough for whatever they might come across.

This message was last edited by the player at 02:59, Mon 23 Mar 2020.

Mr. Johnson
 GM, 196 posts
Tue 24 Mar 2020
at 04:38
Re: [December 2059] Mayhem and Mistletoe
@Grendel
“Yeah, I know the one,” Pearlman replies with a chuckle. “In fact, there are probably half dozen of the damn things within spittin’ distance of us right now. Gangs ‘round this part of the ‘plex love ‘em. I’ll have one for ya tomorrow morning. Maybe tonight if my guy happens to be in this part of town.” He pauses a long moment, perhaps labouring over what comes next, but in the end, it seems like he can’t hold it back, like he would be lying to himself if he didn’t get it off his chest. “Listen kid, I’ll be right up front with you. I was sorry to see ‘Hawk go. He’s a stand up guy and I owe him a favor or three. He asked me to look out for you, and I aim to do just that.  You need anything you come to me first and if I can’t help ya out, then I’ll find someone who can. I’ll do you right, count on it.”

As he finishes his soykaf, he turns to walk off to his big Harley, calling back over his shoulder: “And it’s Pearlman kid, just Pearlman OK?  Growing up there never was no Mr Pearlman around and I don’t aim for that to cast a shadow over me. I’ll call you when I got that hardware.”

@All: I’ll bump the story forward to the airport pickup sometime tomorrow night...
Mr. Johnson
 GM, 197 posts
Wed 25 Mar 2020
at 01:37
Re: [December 2059] Mayhem and Mistletoe

Once you are through the Uptown D-zone dregs, the limo drive down the 880 CTTR to the airport is comfortable and uneventful.  Security formalities offer a few tense moments as a dwarf rent-a-cop slots your SINs.  In the end, Pearlman’s forgeries come through and the guard offers you a tip of the hat and a “Pleasant afternoon Mr Drake...” as you drive on through to the VIP terminal.

On your PocSecs you receive a report that the Transcontinental Airlines suborbital has landed right on time at the commercial terminal.  Airport VIP arrivals has transferred Freya and her friends to the VIP lounge where she is probably already waiting for you.  You also find a trid crew, the profit creating shadows that Devlin promised, already set-up and ready to catch the arrival of Apogee’s new hotness.

Shortly, the synthcore revolutionary Freya emerges from the lounge.  Freya, a pixie of 19, maybe 20 years old, although admittedly it is difficult to gauge since none of you has ever met a pixie.  As expected, she is tiny, barely waist height on Acme, with dark wavy hair and piercing green eyes looking out though heavy eyeliner.  She sports a warm fur lined jacket against the winter chill worn over a miniskirt and a Green Abscesses crop top tee that reveals her bare midriff.  Her wings must be modestly folded beneath her coat.

Walking alongside her are a waif thin pair of ivory skinned humans.  Pale blond nordic twins.  A woman in a black PVC secondskin catsuit, a man in a hand knit vintage sweater and leather kilt.  These two must be the friends that form Freya’s modest entourage.

The trid crew immediately comes to life, a small camera drone taking to the air getting a wide angle overhead shot while the camera guys array themselves in front of Freya to record her arrival.
Grendel
 player, 56 posts
Wed 25 Mar 2020
at 02:13
Re: [December 2059] Mayhem and Mistletoe
As the shuttle taxied at a languid pace down the runway, Grendel took a few slow deep breaths to try and slow down his heart rate. He did not even know why exactly he was so excited, the job itself was fairly straight forward, but it was all just so...new.

He had opted for a few loose braids to keep his hair away from his face, and his blue eyes followed the craft as he ran over some of the basics that he had committed to memory

Don't watch her, it's tempting, but that's not where the threats going to be

You are getting paid to put yourself bodily between her and whatever might hurt her. Get in there.

Get physical. Don't try to play nice, no polite requests. If they get too close, push them away. If they don't take the hint, handle your business.


Another breath out, long and slow.

The sawed off felt conspicuous, even after a dozen checks in the mirror the day before. He looked fine, it just felt bigger than it was.

That and he was still getting used to the glasses. It was amazing how people functioned with so much distraction right there, all the time. He had even done his best to turn off a lot of the noise before hand.

When he finally saw Freya, after his upteenth check looking around the terminal, he broke into a faint smile despite himself. She was cute, and there was a bit of wonder in her existing at all. There were pixies in the world again, and that was cool.

He quickly reapplied his "game face" and shifted with the others to go and greet her, letting Kord take the lead.

This message was last edited by the player at 02:16, Wed 25 Mar 2020.

Kord
 player, 48 posts
Sat 28 Mar 2020
at 00:27
Re: [December 2059] Mayhem and Mistletoe

Earlier


After checking his PocSec Kord smiled to himself and then sent a message back to Angel. With a bit of luck he was building himself a Decker he could call on when needed.

:: LTG# 904 (57-8019) :: {Kord}
++Thanks for the Intel. Appreciated. If you can get us floor plans for the Eastshore plus a feed from their security cams then that would be mondo! Also if you can do some background research on those couple of lovesick fans you turned up and check if any of them are local that would be crystal to know. Lastly, anything from your SK yet. Feels like that might be connected. ++

Kord then shared the information from Angel with his new team mates, though he was careful to remove her tag from it and sent it as a general info dump from GEI instead.

Subject: Freya
Accommodation: Eastshore Manor (boutique hotel in Emeryville, downtown Oakland) - floor plans & cams feed requested
Potential Threats: Lovesick fans who may be delusional and go to far
Itinerary:
  • Flight... TC156A - BOS-OAK - arr 1345hrs 12/12/59
  • Hotel Booking... Eastshore Manor - Republican Suite
  • Sound/System Checks... Matchsticks - 1400hrs 13/12/59
  • Showtime... Matchsticks - 1930hs 13/12/59
  • Departure... TC159D – OAK-LAX – dep 1140hrs 14/12/59

Subject: Attempted Comms Intrusion
GEI are attempting to trace down an attempted intrusion into their comms system. Only link is that is occurred just prior to the initial meet at Matchsticks so it could be coincidental but GEI are continuing to investigate.




Now

"Grendel," Kord said with a nod to the big Troll. "Once we start escorting her you stick with Freya. And don't forget to look big and scary for the cameras." He couldn't suppress the grin that broke out as he thought about the little and large show that was about to occur. From the size of her Grendel could put Freya in his pocket and hide her there if he wanted to. Well that was an exaggeration but she could surely hide under Grendel's longcoat.

With a nod to the others Kord then strode forward and offered his hand in greeting to the Pixie Freya, having dialled up the red glow of his smart goggles to the maximum as he did so.

"Hi there," he said by way of introduction. "We're your security team for the next few days." He started pointing out the team. "The Elf there is Acme, the other Ork is Hellfire, the Troll is Grendel and I'm Kord. If you bring your bags we've got a limo for you outside." They were her security not bellboys so he left it to Freya's two underfed companions to carry her bags for her.

He then turned and led them back out of the VIP lounge, ignoring the media crew and taking point as they headed for where the limo was parked.
Mr. Johnson
 GM, 207 posts
Mon 30 Mar 2020
at 19:26
Re: [December 2059] Mayhem and Mistletoe
Kord:
With a nod to the others Kord then strode forward and offered his hand in greeting to the Pixie Freya, having dialled up the red glow of his smart goggles to the maximum as he did so.

"Hi there," he said by way of introduction. "We're your security team for the next few days." He started pointing out the team. "The Elf there is Acme, the other Ork is Hellfire, the Troll is Grendel and I'm Kord. If you bring your bags we've got a limo for you outside."


"Acme, Hellfire, Grendel..." she says in a beautiful sing song voice, almost like she is singing in harmony with herself.  "And Kord." her eyes settling on Kord as her diminutive hand accepts the handshake and is lost in the orc's massive mitt.  "Your crew looks real flash.  Way more professional than the crew Devlin set up for me back in Boston." turning so she won't be on camera and whispering conspiratorially so the trid crew won't pick it up; a fairly easy feat given her size and the bulk of both Kord and Grendel taking up their positions around her.

Will try to bump this thread to the drive to the hotel on Weds evening...
Hellfire
 player, 52 posts
Mon 30 Mar 2020
at 23:26
Re: [December 2059] Mayhem and Mistletoe
Hellfire didn't quite blush as the little pixie made her appearance. He looked down at the floor not making eye contact. When his name came up he let out an indistinct "Hey" Introductions over he shifted gears into business mode and said "We got you some things to keep you safe.  If your friends can give us some space. We have security procedure to discuss. Won't take more then a tick."

Going to go over the GPS and how they work. Where to hide them also hand out the ear pieces and sub-vocal mics and connect them all to one closed circuit so everyone including the asset can talk. Her friends don't count so they get nothing. Also will stress NOT to tell her friends she has them. I TRUST NO ONE...except the team...Of course I trust the team.....mostly.

This message was lightly edited by the player at 23:26, Mon 30 Mar 2020.

Mr. Johnson
 GM, 209 posts
Thu 2 Apr 2020
at 02:12
Re: [December 2059] Mayhem and Mistletoe
“Thank-you, Hellfire,” Freya replies politely.  Even when simply speaking, her voice is a beautifully melodic quality.  It’s amazing. All the more so because she seems so tired.  A couple of folks from the VIP lounge busy themselves with the baggage while, conscious of the trid crew, she adds with a touch of rockstar bravado and a dazzling smile, “Let’s load up in this limo and rock this town.”

The trid crew seems happy that they’ve got some good footage of the rockstar and her newly formed entourage. With practiced efficiency they quickly pack up in a rented Landrover 2046 ready to follow you to the hotel in Emeryville.

Loaded up into the limo, Freya immediately retires to the back and flops into a comfortable couch while her friends get her a water and tune into the telecom.  You’re headed back out onto the highway working your way though Oakland D-zone dregs, in the shadow of the ‘plex where many metahumans, particularly trolls and orcs, deal with poverty and homelessness.  Many have been shipped over from Japan and dumped unceremoniously at the Oakland pier.  On the telecom, neighbourhood based updates tick by... Freya’s friends, who you learn are Aina and Aaro are surfing neighbourhood links and settle on a short video from The October 25 Alliance offering community outreach and vocational training; a hand-up not a hand-out.  There’s also a link to a short clip on the Metahuman People's Army... their spokesman seething with deep-seated and justifiable anger; offering more frustration and desperation and violence.

Despite her fatigue, Freya looks out the window as the downtrodden and forgotten of the ‘plex flash by. Sighing, she remarks with sadness, ”They are left to fend for themselves by an uncaring Imperial occupier and an incompetent puppet government... I hope Apogee stays independent, I would never play for corporate masters in Japan.”  Slumping back in her seat, it’s hard to tell if she is just pale or if she is overcome by some unhealthy pallor with a shimmering layer of sweat on her forehead...

...unfortunately there isn’t much time to contemplate just now.  About a klick and a half before your Emeryville off-ramp, Hellfire picks up about a dozen bikes behind the limo and closing the distance at top speed. It’s hard to tell with the limo’s crap sensor suite, but in the image provided by the rear facing camera array, when the bikes are about 250m out it looks like a go-gang... make that two go-gangs... and based on the fact that one of the bikes just burst into flame and fell to the pavement under a savage onslaught of automatic weapons fire, it doesn’t look like they are on very good terms with each other...

Behind the limo and closing fast are the black and green clad Razor Wires (the local orc chapter of Blindfish MC affiliated go-gangers) and the red clad Ronin (probably out in force and looking for trouble, they usually run the asphalt across the Bay, this human only go-gang is rumored to be affiliated with the Black Chrysanthemums yakuza clan).  You’re about to be caught in the crossfire in a go-gang running gun battle.
Hellfire
 player, 53 posts
Fri 3 Apr 2020
at 01:43
Re: [December 2059] Mayhem and Mistletoe
"Ah Drek." Hellfire spits in the cab. He switches his sub-vocal mic linked with the groups transponder frequency and keys it up, "We got company, Large group of drek heads decided to shoot each other without any regard for my pretty car. we got about 30 seconds before we in the thick. Look Lively."

He takes a second to check his jack in port and wire. Seeing all is ready to go, Hellfire waits for the others to get their game faces on before jacking in.

Where is everyone seated in the car? Is anyone sat in the front with Hellfire?
Grendel
 player, 60 posts
Sat 4 Apr 2020
at 04:09
Re: [December 2059] Mayhem and Mistletoe
Grendel noticed the distant crackling, and the odd Doppler effect the gunfire man as it echoed down the broad expanse of road. The nearer concussion of a bike exploding into flame was what made him sit up and really take notice as Hellfire filled them in.

"They after us?" Grendel asked as he looked from their driver out the back window, and sat up straight in order to better retrieve the sawed off shotgun from beneath his coat. His voice was an octave higher than usual, but he more or less kept it under control.

He was sitting directly adjacent to Freya, per the instructions he had been given, and quickly shifted over a little closer, not quite sure which angle to shield her from just yet.
Kord
 player, 58 posts
Tue 7 Apr 2020
at 08:51
Re: [December 2059] Mayhem and Mistletoe
Kord had been sat in the front of the limo with Hellfire, as it gave the best view of the road ahead, but at the Rigger's warning he scrambled over the seats and into the rear compartment. It was a tight squeeze for an Ork but the urgency of the situation spurred him on.

"This thing got a sunroof that opens?" he called over his shoulder to Hellfire as he unzipped the holdall he had loaded onto the vehicle earlier on. Pulling an assault vest from it he slipped it over his new armoured coat and tightened the straps to secure it in place. He then pulled his rifle from the holdall as well, an AK-97 with an underslung grenade launcher, more appropriate to a military engagement and probably overkill for most body-guarding jobs but Kord was suddenly very happy that he'd brought it along. Clicking the folding stock into place he waited for a fraction of a second while the smartlink synchronised with his goggles. He then loaded a clip and a grenade into it but held off from cocking either weapon yet.

Prepared for just about anything a couple of Go-Gangs could throw at them, he glanced over to Hellfire for any further updates on what he could see.
Mr. Johnson
 GM, 234 posts
Tue 7 Apr 2020
at 12:16
Re: [December 2059] Mayhem and Mistletoe
The Ronin seem to be gaining the upper hand but the Razor Wires are tough tuskers and aren’t backing down despite another rider going down under withering SMG fire. The first riders are now 100m back and closing.  It’s still 1200m to your exit and there is no way to avoid the wave of heavy metal mayhem that is about to wash over you.  The trid crew Landrover just accelerated past you and cameras are out the window trying to get the best angle.  Fraggin’ vultures... at least they aren’t in the line of fire.

Limo has a moonroof that runs about a third of the length of the vehicle. Kord and Grendel could both fit up there but it will be tight. Rock and Roll will be glitched if two shooters try to use the roof.  You can also lean out one of the side windows but your arcs of fire will be limited to one side of the car.

@Kord the gang bikes are easily in range for Kord’s AR and grenade launcher.

@Grendel the bikes need to be spitting distance for Grendel’s sawed off to be effective (take -1 forward for Rock and Roll until they are in range). Still a troll brandishing a massive hand cannon does send a certain message, regardless of how effective the weapon might be.

@Hellfire Depending on how you want to play this, Hellfire can evade the crossfire (Stay Frosty) to protect this shiny new limo and the precious cargo inside, or he can manoeuvre the limo to help get Kord and Grendel better shots (Fuck it Up / Make it Rain) if the shooting starts... just give me an idea of which you are trying to do in tour post and I’ll roll accordingly.

@Acme if Acme remains absent I’ll take over and add in some mystical fireworks to keep the gangs honest.

Next posts, let me know if you shoot first or try to stare these guys down.  Also let me know if you are picking sides and targeting one gang over another.

Grendel
 player, 62 posts
Wed 8 Apr 2020
at 17:20
Re: [December 2059] Mayhem and Mistletoe
Grendel shifted his bulk around the limo interior to get closer to Freya and managed a fragile smile towards her. "I got you. Just keep your head down and we should be..." he paused and glanced out the back window as one of the bikes burst into flame and then collided with the sidewall before careening back out into traffic in a spray of plastic, metal and flame.

He looked back. "Should just take a minute." he assured he, and then posted up with her directly behind him as he tried to gauge what Hellfire was going to do. He worried the carved stock of his sawed off with one big thumb like a charm, his eyes fixed on the chaotic firefight/race behind them.
Mr. Johnson
 GM, 251 posts
Sun 12 Apr 2020
at 16:01
Re: [December 2059] Mayhem and Mistletoe
“This limo is armoured, right?” Freya asks, looking up at Grendel while Kord and Hellfire whisper quietly; apparently concocting some kind of plan.

Aina and Aaro hunker down deeper into their leather seats, bracing for the coming storm...
Hellfire
 player, 59 posts
Tue 14 Apr 2020
at 05:00
Re: [December 2059] Mayhem and Mistletoe
<over mic><<Oh, don't worry about armor lady just buckle up and enjoy the ride, we are about to punch it. Kord, I am popping the sun roof for you, What say you pop off a few warning shots to make'em think twice about where they headed. Grendel once the asset is secure, Maybe give Kord some support. Let's show these Go-Gangers this kitty's got teeth.">>

After his impromptu speech he jacked in fully, He felt is consciousness slip into the machine and his world exploded in sensation. The air spread past his body moving far faster then he could in his meat bag. Sensors pinged the location of several objects in relation to himself. He could tell just where the gang was, the speed and relative distance between the groups. He mentally cut loose pushing the throttle to max. Another tingle entered his awareness. This mamajamma has internals. He sent his thoughts into words through the internal speakers of the limo. "Here we go!"

Ok I am picking the Stay Frosty option and taking off quick fast, Up to the others now.

This message was last edited by the player at 05:04, Tue 14 Apr 2020.

Kord
 player, 64 posts
Tue 14 Apr 2020
at 15:15
Re: [December 2059] Mayhem and Mistletoe
<over mic><<"I was thinking of dropping a grenade amongst them to shred some tyres and slow them down. You reckon that that will work or just make them focus their anger on us?">>
Mr. Johnson
 GM, 268 posts
Thu 16 Apr 2020
at 23:52
Re: [December 2059] Mayhem and Mistletoe
Norino Sano was a 20 year old petty crook who went by the street name Zero.  He had been riding with the Ronin for under a month, although he had spent a year hanging around with some of the crew before they let him join the gang.  Today was a big day for him.  This violent thrill ride was his initiation.

.....

Gritting his tusks, Kord pops up out of the limo’s moonroof.

.....

Most of these Ronin kids had grown up in the suburban enclave of Orinida, both parents wage slaves who only stayed together only to save face in the corporate-community.  They never really seemed all that interested in raising a kid.  With a boring straight laced life between gaming PLTGs, company run schools and the corporate archology, more than a few of these kids, like Zero, were runaways.  Could you really blame him?  Rather than go to the corp’s technical college of choice and endure a boring future as a marketing analyst or research assistant or accounting associate, he had chosen a stolen Aurora and a gang of brothers and sisters in red leather.

.....

Kord’s smartlink comes alive as he takes aim with his AK... adjusts the elevation just a touch...

.....

Looking up from his handlebars with surprise, Zero keyed the subvocal mic that connected his helmet to the other Ronin.  <<“Nantekotta i... Another bunch of trogs in the limo up ahead.  Hey does that fraggin’ trog have a ... fragging hell!”>>

....

!!Bonp!! The grenade sails in a lazy arc, landing on the pavement and skidding toward the Ronin and...

Kord has the drop on the distracted Ronin.
Deal damage (9). Forceful.


...the blast catches one of the Ronin’s riders full-force, knocking the racing bike from under him and sending him crashing to the asphalt.

Wind racing over the glossy black hull, Hellfire pushes the engine to it’s limit, putting as much distance as he can between the limo, the crashed bike and the trigger happy gangs.  Racing toward the next exit...

Stay Frosty
19:27, Today: Mr. Johnson rolled 7 using 2d6+1 ((1,5)).
Weak Success


...the limo lurches ahead not letting the bikes close the gap, but not opening up enough distance to prevent the Ronin from taking a few shots in retaliation...

Ronin (Troop, 6 go-gangers) deal damage (4 (SMG) + 5 (troop) = 9 / 2 (distance) = 5 – 1 (limo armor) = 4 ...)

...most of thier fire splashes harmlessly against the limo body, but a stray bullet comes through the rear window into the back seat where Grendel is using his considerable bulk to shield Freya (and consequently the rest of the limo occupants... he is 10 feet tall and 400lbs after all)...

Take a Bullet
19:37, Today: Mr. Johnson rolled 11 using 2d6+1 ((5,5)).
Strong success


...the bullet smashes into Grendel’s armored coat harmlessly, although it will need a quick mend to repair that bullet hole.

Results:
@Kord – your grenade launcher is empty.

(1) You’re not making any friends among the Ronin, they are now focused on attacking you...
(2) ...the Razor Wires don’t seem to have decided what to do yet.
(3) You’ve still got 100m between you and the gangs...
(4) ...and your exit is (fortunately) coming up fast.

Limo
[X] [X] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ]
[ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ]

Ronin
[X] [X] [X] [X] [X] [X] [X] [X] [X] [ ]
[ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ]

Fight continues

Hellfire
 player, 62 posts
Sat 18 Apr 2020
at 17:51
Re: [December 2059] Mayhem and Mistletoe
<<over internal speakers>"Bloody Drek, That doesn't tickle you know!" The part of his brain that subconsciously monitored autonomic function flared up as the bullets tore through the limo's hull. Thankfully the high end car had dampening systems that blunted the impulse to hellfire's brain, for now they were holding up.

He turned his thoughts to the sensors. Seeing that the go gangers did not get the hint, he sent his thoughts to diagnosing the limo itself. Only now wondering if the Limo has any defensive capabilities.
<<over internal speakers>"They didn't get the hint boys. Chckin'if there is anything I can do"

Never thought to ask if the limo has any weapon systems maybe an oil slick? spike trap? pop up ROCKET LAUNCHER?? lol
Mr. Johnson
 GM, 275 posts
Sat 18 Apr 2020
at 23:30
Re: [December 2059] Mayhem and Mistletoe
In reply to Hellfire (msg # 82):

No such luck. Aside from the rigger controls, this limo is pretty much stock.
Mr. Johnson
 GM, 282 posts
Mon 20 Apr 2020
at 22:17
Re: [December 2059] Mayhem and Mistletoe
Hoping to push the next combat round forward on Weds evening. Unless I hear otherwise I’ll resolve the action as follows:

Acme: Cast a Spell
Grendel: Take a Bullet
Hellfire: Stay Frosty
Kord: Rock and Roll

Kord
 player, 68 posts
Thu 23 Apr 2020
at 21:12
Re: [December 2059] Mayhem and Mistletoe
Kord didn't know either of the two gangs so had consequently sided with the metahumans. That had probably been the right decision but now they had half a dozen angry bikers intent on shooting at them. Probably the right decision......

Replying over his mike, Kord wasn't able to give much advice to Hellfire. "Distance works for us as they've got SMGs but they're faster than us and more maneuverable as well so they've got the edge. That's unless you want to pull some Crazy Ivan like stunt and use the limo as a battering ram. They're gonna come off worse from that!" They weight of the limo would make scrap out of the go-gang's bikes if they came together, though it would rather scratch the paintwork or worse.

Pulling the stock of his rifle in tight to his shoulder the opened up with short bursts, picking the lead Ronin and targeting him till he went down. Once his first target had ceased to be a threat, Kord then moved onto the next one, working systematically through them all. Thinning the opposition numbers, that was the key at the moment, particularly when they had more guns than you did. With a bit of luck as their numbers started to diminish they would realise that they were out of their depth and give up on their pursuit.


Kord - Rock and Roll with his AK-97 at the lead Ronin and then moving onto the next closest if he can continue firing
Mr. Johnson
 GM, 291 posts
Fri 24 Apr 2020
at 00:54
Re: [December 2059] Mayhem and Mistletoe
Opening the throttle to it's fullest...

Stay Frosty
20:08, Today: Mr. Johnson rolled 4 using 2d6+1 ((1,2)).
Miss @Hellfire: take +1 XP


...Hellfire can't urge any more out of the limo and the gang's bikes close the distance putting them in easy range for their submachine guns...

Ronin deal damage: (Troop, 6 go-gangers) deal damage (4 (SMG) + 5 (troop) = 9.  Half damage to limo = 5 – 1 (limo armor) = 4 ... remaining 4 damage split between PCs who take damage this round...)

...bullets stitch pocmarks across the armor overwhelming the dampers causing electric fire to erupt in Hellfire's brain... take 1 damage

...snapping well aimed shots off at the Ronin, Kord's AK barks sharply...

Rock and Roll
20:26, Today: Mr. Johnson rolled 7 using 2d6+1 ((5,1)).
Weak success deal damage (AK-97 5)


...striking the lead rider.  The gang's fire splashes across the limo roof and hits Kord's armor, but fortunately he is unhurt...

...the strains of Acme's songs can be heard over the roaring engine and sporadic fire from Kord's rifle...

Cast a Spell
20:11, Today: Mr. Johnson rolled 7 using 2d6+1 ((4,2)).
Weak success, Glue Slick


...the lead bike comes to a sudden stop, throwing it's rider over the handlebars, it's tire caught in a pool of sticky green slime that has materialized underneath the unsuspecting Ronin.  Acme's eyes glaze over as a wave of fatigue hits him take 1 stun

...with the bikes now in range, Grendel's sawed off booms through the shattered rear window...

Rock and Roll
20:33, Today: Mr. Johnson rolled 9 using 2d6+2 ((1,6)).
Weak success, deal damage (Winchester 5)


...spraying another rider with buckshot, causing his bike to wobble dangerously.  The rider brakes hard to keep the bike upright getting off an unsteady shot that peppers the limo and sprays Grendel but leaves him unharmed...

Under the onslaught, the gang's resolve wavers and breaks.  With three successive lead riders flipped by magic, greased by armor piercing fire and left picking buckshot out of there leathers, the gang slows to a stop.

Beside the limo, the Razor Wires ride by whooping a war cry in victory.  A shared victory, but a victory nevertheless.  The leader gives you a thumbs up as his Scorpion roars past and the rider in the trail position fires off a friendly salute from the saddle of his massive Trollhammer trike.

Results:
(1) You've won the firefight and aren't too badly hurt all things considered...
(2) ...the Razor Wires certainly seem to appreciate the helping hand.
(3) With the Ronin left eating your dust, you're off the highway into the d-zone dregs...
(4) ...but the smoking limo is likely to attract a bit of attention (Security Tally +1).

Acme
[/] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ]

Hellfire
[X] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ]

Limo
[X] [X] [X] [X] [X] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ]
[ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ]

Ronin
[X] [X] [X] [X] [X] [X] [X] [X] [X] [X]
[X] [X] [X] [X] [X] [X] [X] [X] - broken up, discouraged...

Put one in the win column +1XP all around...

This message was last edited by the GM at 19:58, Fri 24 Apr 2020.

Hellfire
 player, 70 posts
Fri 1 May 2020
at 03:38
Re: [December 2059] Mayhem and Mistletoe
Hellfire think/checks his systems to assess the damage. Nothing to bad, That smoke might be a problem. <<over internal speakers>"Whoo, Well looks like we game'em the slip. We are chuggin' along ok at the moment but I am going to have to see to that smoke soonish so'as it don't come back to bite us, How is everyone back there holding up?"
Mr. Johnson
 GM, 314 posts
Sat 2 May 2020
at 19:43
Re: [December 2059] Mayhem and Mistletoe
With the threat of imminent violence now passed, Aina and Aaro are chatting excitedly, in norsk maybe?

Freya chimes in over the mic "I think we're alright.  No one seems to be hurt, thank you Hellfire for helping to keep us safe.  That situation was so volatile.  Is it always like that here?  Who were those people?"
Grendel
 player, 65 posts
Sun 3 May 2020
at 04:11
Re: [December 2059] Mayhem and Mistletoe
The moment the coast was clear, Grendel shifted around to try to see if any harm had come to Freya, it was like a big fat adult trying to turn around inside a little girls playhouse, but while awkward, it worked. "Good to go back here Hellfire, that was some serious wheel work." By the tone the Troll was obviously impressed.

He still had the shotgun in one hand, and he had to speak up over the howl of the wind whipping around the shattered rear window. "Go Gang" he answered helpfully as he thumbed the release for the break action and eased out the expended hull.

"Like a normal gang, but faster. Very territorial." he was somewhere between enunciating and shouting. The Troll may have been the rookie in most regards, but as a Nomad he knew Go Gang culture well enough to feel confident calling them what they were. He slotted in the new round of buckshot and closed the action with a satisfying clack,

"Nothing personal I think, we were just in the wrong place at the wrong time." he added and looked her over openly to make sure she was in fact ok. "Your friends doing alright?" he asked, obviously unable to parse out the language.
Mr. Johnson
 GM, 319 posts
Tue 5 May 2020
at 02:19
Re: [December 2059] Mayhem and Mistletoe
“Go. Gang.” Freya says, testing the words, struggling to understand. “Territorial,” she adds exchanging a few words with her friends, still speaking in norsk. Somehow, without understanding the language you still gain a sense of what Freya is saying. Pixie magic.

“Marauders.” she says, the strange sounding language resonates with the magical harmony of her voice.  Sad, hypnotic, sincere and so convincing. ”Bandits. Criminals running wild on the streets.  This is a symptom of a wider problem. A sign that people have lost faith in the architecture of their society and can only find belonging as outsiders, thieves and killers. Is this entire city such a sad and lost place?”

She looks to Grendel, meeting his clear eyes with her gaze, silently imploring him to reassure her that the ‘plex isn’t only dissatisfaction, desolation and cold random death...
Grendel
 player, 66 posts
Tue 5 May 2020
at 02:47
Re: [December 2059] Mayhem and Mistletoe
"Well...yeah." Grendel replied, his soft tone sounded as if he was trying to be careful not to hurt her feelings. He took a deep breath and sat back  as far as he could manage, the howling was less persistent now that their speed had dropped, but it was still a low roar in the background.

"So I'm what we call a Nomad, my people don't even live in the cities because we think life is better in the wilderness. I'm just here to work." He thought about telling her about all the rigors of that life, the ever present threat of starvation of various types, how a bad summer could have them recycling urine "just in case". He thought about trying to paint the picture of humans dying in their forties from skin cancer, or their teeth rotting out of their skulls because they can't afford a dentist worth the name.

He decided to stick the with basics. "Most of the places outside San Francisco proper are dangerous, that's just the truth of it. Life it hard, so a lot of people do what they can to get by. Those guys ganged up" he jerked his big shaggy head towards the blown out window. "That's how they chose to deal with it."

He subconsciously worried a thumb against the stock of the shotgun in his lap. "The city's supposed to be real nice, clean, safe. But it's pretty much Humans only from what I hear, maybe a few Elves or Dwarves I would think." he leaned forward. "You guys ever been inside the walls? San Francisco I mean?" he clarified, having to call louder over the road noise.

He looked back to Freya. "Why? What's Scandinavia like?"
Mr. Johnson
 GM, 321 posts
Thu 7 May 2020
at 23:58
Re: [December 2059] Mayhem and Mistletoe
"The Scandinavian Union?" she asks switching back to English.  "We're not without our problems and I don't like to compare because I know so little about the world, but the parliaments in the union are held accountable.  Of course we have corporate influence and let's not forget violent criminals like the Vikings and Winternight, but people would not stand for collapse of social order and security."  A bit of revolutionary fervor twinkles in her eye.  "I think there would be open revolt."
Grendel
 player, 67 posts
Fri 8 May 2020
at 00:29
Re: [December 2059] Mayhem and Mistletoe
"Sounds nice." Grendel briefly had a vision of settling down in some place like the Scandinavian Union, a sod house sized for him, a fireplace, maybe a family. But he did not speak the language, he knew nothing about the culture, and he did not particularly like fish, especially after working in a packing facility. Just a brief daydream, a little respite from the reality of what had just occurred, what was occurring now.

"Lot's of folks in Cali talk about revolt, you just need to pick your flavor." he replied darkly. "But I'm sure you didn't come all this way to talk politics. We'll keep you safe, and then you'll be on your way home before you know it."

Again, he restrained himself. Grendel had not known many "legit" revolutionary types, most folks were just too busy trying to pay rent, put food on the table or maybe buy their kid a birthday present. He did know some nomads that fell well into the "eco terrorist" camp, but most low landers did not tend to empathize with "population reduction" philosophy or "Neo-primitivism". They were just as much the boogeymen as the CorpSec types. One might kick down your door, but the other might blow up your water pipeline.
Mr. Johnson
 GM, 323 posts
Fri 8 May 2020
at 02:02
Re: [December 2059] Mayhem and Mistletoe
Grendel:
"Lot's of folks in Cali talk about revolt, you just need to pick your flavor." he replied darkly. "But I'm sure you didn't come all this way to talk politics."


“You don’t listen to my music, do you?” she asks with a wry smile that gives her a vibe that lies somewhere between ‘teenage know it all’ and ‘old soul’.
Grendel
 player, 69 posts
Fri 8 May 2020
at 02:21
Re: [December 2059] Mayhem and Mistletoe
Grendel was not going to tell this girl that he had not even owned his own PocSec till yesterday. He was what he was but that was embarrassing even for him.

"No, haven't had the chance yet. Do you get into this stuff?" Grendel asked as he watched a vehicle they had recently passed, the driver so zoned out they did not even seem to recognize the state of the Limo.
Mr. Johnson
 GM, 333 posts
Mon 18 May 2020
at 02:34
Re: [December 2059] Mayhem and Mistletoe
”Yeah, maybe a little bit,” she replies.

From the carnage of the CTTR it’s a short and blessedly uneventful drive to a nice boutique hotel in Emeryville, a B-rated neighbourhood close to Matchsticks.  Fortunately the valet directs you to park the limo in the secured underground garage which should at least keep the local KE patrols from noticing the bullet holes and smashed out rear window.

“Wow, that was real wiz!” the trid techs gush as they pile out of their Land Rover.  Hauling equipment into the hotel, they continually chatter between themselves.  “That is gonna give us some real cutting edge footage for this documentary trid.”

Inside the tastefully decorated lobby, a handsome elf in a slate grey hotel uniform waits at the check-in desk.  After a few moments, a bellhops escorts you all up to your rooms.  Freya and her friends are in the spacious Republican suite.  There’s clean bottled water, California champagne and real fruit in the complimentary welcome basket.  The runners and the trid crew are all put up next door, six to a room with three beds, a couch and a couple of cots... guess you're not being paid to sleep or to be comfortable.

Still, it beats sleeping in a coffin or in your van.

Got anything you want to do while the talent is getting settled in?
Kord
 player, 82 posts
Fri 22 May 2020
at 12:10
Re: [December 2059] Mayhem and Mistletoe
In reply to Mr. Johnson (msg # 96):

What is the security like at the hotel and does GI have a feed into their security cams? And does GI have a decker on overwatch at all times monitoring those cameras?
Mr. Johnson
 GM, 339 posts
Mon 25 May 2020
at 00:47
Re: [December 2059] Mayhem and Mistletoe
As one might expect of an upscale B-zone establishment on the edge of the D-zone, security is highly visible and heavily armed.  Looks like Damion Knight has a lock on security in this part of the 'plex; a pair of guards sporting uniforms from Ares' budget private security brand, Wolverine Security, are on standby in the lobby with slung SMGs and headset radios.  Security cameras cover the entrance but without a decker in the system, you wouldn't be able to tell if they are being watched by guards on site, a spider in the system or a central monitoring service.

@Kord: The contract with GEI is for venue security.  They are already looking at slim profit margins on this job and have not dedicated assets to monitor the hotel system.
Hellfire
 player, 73 posts
Wed 27 May 2020
at 00:54
Re: [December 2059] Mayhem and Mistletoe
I am going to put my micro skimmers in the emergency stairwells, I will have then tucked in a corner or in a vent, somewhere out of the way if I can. I will put them on the floor below us. The dog brain have instruction to Ping me every time something enters the stairwell. Including sound. Did I bring my Rotodrone? if so it is in passive scan mode right inside Freya's suite.
Mr. Johnson
 GM, 342 posts
Thu 28 May 2020
at 01:18
Re: [December 2059] Mayhem and Mistletoe
@Hellfire: There really isn’t cargo space in the limo for the rotordrone, but you’re not far from Matchsticks so if you left the VW parked there you could call it over.
Hellfire
 player, 74 posts
Sun 31 May 2020
at 05:04
Re: [December 2059] Mayhem and Mistletoe
nawh! funner if I don't have it. I will just go with the skimmers in the stairwells ;)
Kord
 player, 85 posts
Sat 6 Jun 2020
at 19:03
Re: [December 2059] Mayhem and Mistletoe
"Hey Hellfire, you dialled in with your skimmers?" he asked once they were in their hotel room. "How've you set them up? Grendel, you fancy checking on Freya and her companions? With just a pair of rent-a-cops in the lobby you and I might need to take turns standing guard outside her door."

He then used his PocSec briefly to contact Angel at GEI HQ.

:: LTG# 904 (57-8019) :: {Kord}
++Angel. I need a quick bit of background on Wolverine Security. I think that they're a budget private security corp owned by Ares but I need to know how reliable they are. What's their rep? They've got the security contract for the hotel so I need to know if they're the kind of idiots who'll take a bribe from a fan to let them get up to the VIP. Any intel appreciated.++

Message sent he then turned to the trid techs. "OK guys. Glad you like the footage earlier on. A couple of things. Firstly, any time there's any action like that our faces need to be blurred. Got it? Secondly, what's your names? I'm Kord." He offered his hand in greeting, intending on using his most intimidating handshake, a full squeeze to hurt someone.
Grendel
 player, 75 posts
Mon 3 Jan 2022
at 20:04
Re: [December 2059] Mayhem and Mistletoe
Grendel did not mind at all, and gladly began making his way to check on Freya and the others.
"You got it." he replied to Kord, and adjusted his suit jacket on his inhuman frame as he left the room.

On his way he passed a mirror and did a double take, a sidelong glance that caused him to heave a sigh. Here he was, dressed up like a mannequin with his hair combed and his braided beard trimmed. It was a nice suit, and part of him even believed that he looked good in it, but at the same time he felt like sellout. He desperately needed the money, and he was excited to have it, but playing this game hurt in a way that he hadn't expected.

At least things seemed to be going well.

As unobtrusively as he could manage given who he was, he checked in on Freya and the others, his clear blue eyes flicking around the room dutifully.
Mr. Johnson
 GM, 350 posts
Mon 3 Jan 2022
at 22:39
Re: [December 2059] Mayhem and Mistletoe
The pale blonde twins are just inside the suite, lounging in a pair of matching easy chairs.  Airo sleeping, Aano immersed in simsense.

You find Freya lying on the bed, diminutive but with gossamer wings spread wide across a king sized mattress worth more than your pickup.  The pixie rolls up onto her side, clearly eager for the chance to talk.  A social creature, she is silent for a brief moment while giving you a careful once over that would be off-putting if she didn’t have such an unobstrusive and genuine way about her.

Taking in your blonde hair, blue eyes, braided beard and noticing the runic markings on your sawed off pistol grip, she finally speaks. Her words like a pair of towhees singing on a spring morning in Donner Pass. She chatters away in pixie tongue but her magic lets you understand her meaning without knowing the language. ”Back in the limo, you described yourself as a nomad, an outsider to this city. Your features, your hair, the way you wear your beard and the markings on your weapon, they all remind me of my homeland.  The old ones of my island tell many stories of your race from the times before magic left the world.  I wonder if we are both of the people of the north?”

With her words come waves of empathy, curiosity and caring. Her magic giving you insight into her emotions as well as her thoughts.

Without even trying, she has your rapt attention.  It’s easy to see why Apogee wants to make her a rock starlet so badly...

...and more than a little sad that something so pure and real could become just another revenue stream for money grubbing corporate taskmasters like Devlin.
Grendel
 player, 76 posts
Mon 3 Jan 2022
at 23:08
Re: [December 2059] Mayhem and Mistletoe
The magic was as potent as it was subtle. Grendel found himself wanting to listen to her, wanting to talk, wishing that he could just listen to her even if her native words were beautiful nonsense to his mind.

He eased into the room, shut the door behind himself and padded softly over nearer to the bed. "No idea honestly...whatever my family was before we goblinized, this is what we are now." he said softly, so as not to disturb the others, his voice rumbling through the floor and walls despite his efforts.

"I grew up with a lot of Trolls, which was nice...but, it's all new. All of this, we don't really know who we are...so like a lot of curious kids I guess, I went looking for something to belong to." be smiled with a tinge of sadness.

"Trying to read about Trolls, I found Norse Mythology, read all the Sagas and then I found Beowulf." He explained. "Sure, Grendel was the bad guy, but he was tough as nails and people were afraid of him...lost an arm and kept fighting, and he had family that fought for him too. Even if they lost...they went down hard, ya know?" he shrugged his massive frame and glanced back to the Pixie.

"So yeah, I don't know about my blood, but in my heart at least, I'd say we probably come from the same place. I like to think so at least." he smiled his toothy, bearded smile down at the little supine figure.
Mr. Johnson
 GM, 351 posts
Tue 4 Jan 2022
at 07:27
Re: [December 2059] Mayhem and Mistletoe
”I would like to think that too.” she replies, switching to English and allowing the pixie magic to fade. ”Besides, everyone knows trolls aren’t nearly as frightening as frost giants!” Even without the pixie magic, the growing bond of friendship, perhaps kinship, is still there. Behind her rockstar trappings and your street samurai armor, you’re really just a couple of teenagers thrust into the unpleasant realities of the sixth world well before adulthood.

Returning to her back, staring up at the ceiling, she continues ”I find this city so exciting, but it’s so tumultuous and dangerous. Something like what happened back on the highway is unimaginable back home. Back there in the limo we agreed that those people were all just trying to find somewhere to belong and that the violence came with their chosen path. I understand that, but there has to be something worthwhile here to bring all of these people together in one place.  To keep them here rather than divorcing themselves from the city and moving out into the mountains...” She rolls to meet your blue eyed gaze ”What’s good about this place? What’s cool and fun and real?” she asks earnestly.  ”Is there somewhere we can go and have a little fun without getting shot at?”

Almost on cue, Aano pops his head around the doorframe “How far are we from a place called Kadie’s Ork Pit?” He asks, then, speaking to Freya adds: “Remember that guy we met in Boston, Bazur? That guy who does sound work for Tuzk? He messaged me saying they are all headed down there tonight. We should meet them!”
Grendel
 player, 77 posts
Tue 4 Jan 2022
at 17:40
Re: [December 2059] Mayhem and Mistletoe
Grendel found himself enjoying the conversation, and while part of him remembered that she would be gone soon and that he was still in the middle of an important job, his "inaugural" job that would hopefully help to get his name out there, part of him sort of basked in the novelty and joy of the moment.

A few things kind of happened at once, Freya asked about the City, Aano asked about what sounded like an Ork bar, and then Freya added that the group some how knew Tuzk. The Tuzk. Grendel may have not been familiar with the haunting tones of Freya's singing, but he sure as shit knew Tuzk. Not a hard core fan, but still.

"I grew up in the mountains, so I'm new to the city myself, but I guess you could say it's kind of like a big...casino." he began, gesturing a little with his huge hands. "Anything can happen here, and it does. You can make enough in an hour to last you a year, or you could lose it all, everything, even your life. There's all sorts of characters from all over the world, and so much new tech, and food, and music, and so much happening under the surface that you could never experience even a fraction of it, it's always changing." he explained. "I'm not even a city guy, I don't plan to be here longer than a few years, but even I have to admit...I can't really go anywhere else to get the kind of money or experiences this place has on offer."

The prospect of heading to "Kadie's" was a daunting one. It was definitely not safe, and more likely than not would be "ghetto" as anything Grendel had ever known, but if these people were really looking for an experience, getting thrown into Kadies Ork Pit for a few hours would definitely qualify. He could just imagine the stories they could take back to Iceland.

And they knew Tuzk...

Well, for good or ill it was not up to him. He could pass it up to Kord.

"Nothing's very far from anything around here." Said Grendel, who was used to days on the road. "Is that something you are in to? I can let Kord know."
Mr. Johnson
 GM, 352 posts
Tue 4 Jan 2022
at 22:44
Re: [December 2059] Mayhem and Mistletoe
”One shoot out a day isn’t enough for you?!” Kord replies pulling his red tinted glasses down to look you in the eye.  Although only a few years older than most of you, it seems like Kord has been doing this kind of work for his entire life.  It’s only natural that that the newly formed team has deferred to him as leader.  As you could have expected, he is not coming out in favor of an Orkland excursion.

”Orkland is home for me and I’ve been to Kadie’s plenty of times” Hellfire chimes in, full of late teenage excitement ”It’s a bit rough, sure, but we can take my van, keep it low profile and maybe we get some more footage to collect on that bonus the suit offered up. Meeting Tuzk in my hometown would be so fragging cool.”

Acme just shrugs, either keeping up his aloof facade or just letting the path be revealed before him.

Kord slides his goggles back down with a laughing growl. ”Frag it all, looks like democracy is alive and well in CalFree after all.”  Putting away his PocSec, he adds ”If we want to pocket that bonus, we need to keep this one off the books, keep GEI out of it. That means we are on our own if the drek hits the fan.  No back-up. I gotta say, I like the thought of squeezing a bit more out of Devlin. Any day that bullet catchers like us can stick it to the suits is a good day. Ok, let’s gear up. Oh, and Hellfire, since it’s your hometown bar, first round is on you choom!”

|| Paused

@ Grendel: We’re at a tidy break in the narrative. If you’re good with it, let’s put this thread on pause to give other players some time to return or maybe I’ll look to recruit some replacements. We can still play your one-on-one thread (link to a message in this game)... that cool?

Grendel
 player, 78 posts
Tue 4 Jan 2022
at 23:03
Re: [December 2059] Mayhem and Mistletoe
OOC: Of course! Sounds good. I will stand by for the others.
Mr. Johnson
 GM, 423 posts
Sat 22 Jan 2022
at 08:21
Re: [December 2059] Mayhem and Mistletoe
>>>>>excerpt from the Oakland Tribune scream sheet serial Inside Orktown penned by the one and only DeiterX:

Kadie’s Ork Pit, dive bar par ex in cellence, has taken over the old naval base NCO club.  Somewhere underneath the grime is an old, utilitarian, military building, fortunately lost forever to graffiti and spilled hurlg.  A cross section of Orkland’s community gather at this favorite watering hole, making it (unoficially) neutral territory for legal, quasi legal and entirely illegal undertakings.<<<<<

You pull up to a squat, blocky building. Utterly utilitarian, splashed with garish pink neon light from a sign struggling to flicker Kadie’sOrk Pit has been scrawled beneath the neon in fading green spray paint.

@Grendel, @Hellfire - you are here with Freya, Airo, Aano and the trid crew all in tow.  Feel free to post up any legwork you did before showing up ... you probably had a couple of hours to prepare before driving over from the hotel.

Kord is here too (played by me for now until things slow down enough for him to rejoin the game).

Acme seems to have wandered off. That’s not unusual for a shaman. Besides, for all you know, he could be here now.

@Hellfire - this is home for you, feel free to show your guests around!

Hellfire
 player, 81 posts
Sun 23 Jan 2022
at 02:02
Re: [December 2059] Mayhem and Mistletoe
The drive to Kadie's was thankfully uneventful, Hellfire had no issue with a loaner getting tagged but his VW... Well that would be a different story. It wasn't like he was expecting trouble, especially the closer he got to Kadie's, and woe be to any dull fragger who did try to go him. These were his streets, his bar and he had more than enough local chooms he could call if this took a poor turn. Not that the idea of owing favours ever appealed to him. Short of brand new tech there wasn't much else he was goin' out on a line for.

Hellfire stayed in meat-space and regailed stories of Orkland and Kadie's while on the drive, perhaps oversharing at times at the base brutality and lawlessness of the area. While none of the stories were about him specifically, from the way he chuckled in remembrance it seemed the Ork was well desensitized to the violence and was not unfamiliar with working around the law. Eventually the pink neon sign lit the street ahead and Hellfire parked the van on the street, close to the front door of Kadie's.

It wasn't until Hellfire had guided the group to the front door that he realised he was stilll in that suit. There was an inward groan as he approached Tiny, the giant Troll served as muscle for Kadie's and was very serious about handing out serious beatings to anyone who gave serious trouble.  He nodded to the Troll, who was somehow perched on a stool just inside the entrance. "Tiny. Got a new crew with me tonight." He cast a look behind him where his fellow runners, 'Freya and Friends', and the trid crew were all lined up to get in. He frowned at just how many they were, he definitely wasn't used to running with so many.

Stepping to the side he kept up the small talk with Tiny as the crew filtered in.
Mr. Johnson
 GM, 434 posts
Sun 23 Jan 2022
at 03:01
Re: [December 2059] Mayhem and Mistletoe
"Hoi choom." Tiny replied giving Hellfire a fist bump.  "Big crowd tonight, that who I think it is?" he asked nodding his big, horned head toward Freya.
Hellfire
 player, 82 posts
Sun 23 Jan 2022
at 05:45
Re: [December 2059] Mayhem and Mistletoe
Dwarfed by the trolls fist Hellfire bumped his own in greeting, "Hey, you recognise her huh? I must be the only one outta the loop. Yeah, I'm her driver for the next few days an' the others with me are runnin' security." He looked to Freya, who seemed to be chatting excitedly to her posse, before looking back to Tiny. "Want an introduction?" Should Tiny accept then Hellfire will gladly introduce the two, doing his best to talk up the troll.

By way of a more general introduction, he turned to the group following him, "Alright gang listen up. This is Tiny, any static he'll take care of it." He pointed to the bar along one wall. "Broad on bar is Spriggan, a good friend. Y'all treat her well yeah?" At a wave from the aforementioned Spriggan, who appeared to be a slim, comely elf of middle years, Hellfire stepped ahead of the group and walked into the bar.

Past the small, dark entrance alcove, home of the troll, the bar opened up into a single large room lit by dim neon signs on the walls and fluorescent tubes hanging from the ceiling. Seating was plentiful, stools at the bar, chairs around tables and quiet booths around the walls for those wanting a bit of privacy. What would have been a concrete box without the furnishings had been turned into a trendy punk bar, although it seemed the style was driven more by the patrons than any conscious decision by the owner.

Torn, paper promotional posters covered the walls, some showing the age of the establishment advertising bands long out of style. Graffiti and tagging remained uncleaned from the walls, although it would have seemed more out of place having a bare space of wall than the colour of languages, slang and names of the local community. Standing by the bar and talking to Spriggan Hellfire waved everyone to an empty booth on the far side of the room, perhaps it was coincidence but a 'HELLF!RE' was sprayed on the wall above the booth in bright orange and reds.
Grendel
 player, 99 posts
Sun 23 Jan 2022
at 18:45
Re: [December 2059] Mayhem and Mistletoe
One would think that having a big Troll along in a place like this would be an innately good thing.

Numbers, muscle, reach.

But despite his size Grendel was no better at fitting in at Kadie's than Freya was. There was obviously the suit, but more than that he just looked out of place. He was big but he did not look "hard", his eyes were too kind, his gait was too hesitant, and his style too "off". He did not have a single tattoo for one thing...

There was a very slight sigh and a knowing look as "Tiny" was introduced. Grendel was not going to say anything, but the "hah hah, he's a big Troll and people call him tiny" exasperation could be seen by the especially observant. It's not like he was not used to it, even where he had come from.

"How's it goin" he nodded respectfully to the other Troll as they filed in. One working Troll to another.

Inside didn't recognize the music, but the scent of the booze was familiar at least. He stuck close to Freya, obviously a little nervous about the outing. This could go well, he hoped it would, but it had a lot of potential to get dicey.

How did Freya get through her day? It felt like any one of these patrons could unknowingly sit on her and do some real damage...
Kord
 player, 90 posts
Sun 23 Jan 2022
at 23:38
Re: [December 2059] Mayhem and Mistletoe
Sitting in the back of Hellfire’s armored ride, Kord tapped out a message on his phone before saving it to his drafts folder. It was a quick and dirty call for the cavalry, telling GEI where they were with links to their mission dossier and the right code words to ensure the message was taken seriously. A safety net just in case the drek did hit the fan and they needed backup. He wasn’t sure they would come to bail them out of an unauthorized outing that deviated from mission spec, but it couldn’t hurt to ask.

Needless to say, he was unimpressed as they arrived outside the Ork Pit. He had been expecting to not like what he saw, and it was exactly as he had expected. No real security, any fraggin’ looney could waltz right in.  No cops would come out here on a call without an army backing them up, and it seemed unlikely that Damien Knight was being paid to provide that level of service to the Orkland dregs. Maybe Kord would hit a place like this in a night off to grab a cold one, but bringing the package here was a bad tactical move. Hopefully though, it would prove to be a good financial one.

“‘kay squad, listen up.” Kord said to the two young runners, hoping that they wouldn’t chafe under his presumption that he was in command. It came to him naturally, he had led teams younger than this through that hellhole in Chicago and that bloodbath in Yucatan, so it only seemed right to take charge now. “Grendel, you stay in close to Freya. Just like the limo ride earlier today, we get paid to take bullets for her, and you look like you could soak up more than a couple big fella. Hellfire, you’re on over watch. Keep an eye on the room and watch for trouble. I’m watching the door and will walk the bar to get a good lay of the land so we know where to go if we need to leave quick, fast and in a hurry.”

As the team piles out of the van he adds: “It’s a work night boys, have a little fun, but don’t forget why we’re here. Protect the girl, pocket the cred.”
Mr. Johnson
 GM, 455 posts
Tue 25 Jan 2022
at 02:45
Re: [December 2059] Mayhem and Mistletoe
Tiny says:

Hellfire:
"Want an introduction?"


@Hellfire "Haha, nah, I'm good. Just that we don't get many celebrities here and tonight we get two. Tuzk and his crew got here 'bout half hour ago.

Grendel:
"How's it goin" he nodded respectfully to the other Troll as they filed in. One working Troll to another.


@Grendel "Goin'" he replies with that knowing nod; not unfriendly, but not cordial either.  Professional you could call it.  Maybe you're being too hard on yourself. Maybe your vibe might not be too far off after all.
Mr. Johnson
 GM, 456 posts
Tue 25 Jan 2022
at 03:06
Re: [December 2059] Mayhem and Mistletoe
As your entourage finds seats around the booth, Kord walks the bar, Grendel stays close to e Freya and Hellfire posts up in the booth.  All the while, the trid crew discreetly shooting some b-reel while Freya and her friends settle in and get a few drinks.

Spriggan is wildly impressed with Freya's arrival. Without fawning, it's clear that she is a genuine fan. Careful not to be overbearing she is asking rapid fire questions about the mix on Alive One and the emotional undertones on In Uniform. The pixie rocker and elf bartender are fast friends, chatting excitedly about music and the Orkland club scene.

As you might expect, the clientele is mostly orcs in scattered ones and twos, ranging from working class Joes getting a drink at their local watering hole to sketchy locals who don't look like they would be shy about rolling the pixie rocker if she were here without your crew scowling at them in unspoken warning.

Clustered in a group of half a dozen over by the pool table, there are some orcs and a troll keeping to themselves. Neon light reflects softly from black leather biker cuts adorned with the barbed wire and skull of the Razor Wires go-gang. That explains the shining chrome line of bikes parked outside that no one dares mess with.

Boisterous and clearly out for some fun, another group of orcs and trolls has gathered under the neon. Airo catches the eye of one and lets loose a squeal of teenage delight drawing the attention of every trog in the grungy punk-dive bar.  "That's Tuzk and his road crew, let's go say hi!"
Grendel
 player, 104 posts
Tue 25 Jan 2022
at 06:54
Re: [December 2059] Mayhem and Mistletoe
Grendel was absolutely torn.

Not one to normally give two yen about celebrity, Tuzk was a rare exception in the fact that Grendel earnestly liked their stuff, and his closest friends back in the Black Rock were in the same category. Meeting them, maybe even getting an autograph would be huge, a story he could tell for the rest of his life.

But he was working...

Trying to build a good rep was difficult, even Grendel knew that much. It didn't happen by accident and it was very, very easy to frag up. It took a lot of willpower and self control, but Grendel resigned himself to staying close to Freya, staying alert, and staying sober. He force himself to look, really look, for anything that might ruin the fun and put their client and risk, even if he had not seen a single notable thing so far, and even if Tuzk was right. there.

Then again, if something was going to go sideways, those Razor Wires might be the ones to tip the balance. He tried to keep a casual eyes on them, not wanting to provoke a response, but not ignoring them either.
Acme
 player, 66 posts
 Coyote Shaman
 Avowed Pain In The Ass
Wed 26 Jan 2022
at 06:05
Re: [December 2059] Mayhem and Mistletoe
There was a small commotion brewing in front of the restroom. From behind the crowd of raucous orks at the pool tables a shout could be heard over the music. It was only for an instant but the distinctive voice was unmistakable. "HAHAHAHA! You are so right chummer. the ambience of Kadie's re-exerted itself and the rest was lost to the crowd.

A moment later a lanky figure pushed through crowd moving towards Hellfire's booth. Acme scanned the crew and nodded. Somehow he had found the time change. He was no longer dressed in the stuffy suites but back in his usual attire. He walked over to the booth carrying two glasses of house "ale". He popped one in front of the pixie and spoke as if he had never been gone. "Hoi, so far so good?. I been babysitting Tuzk for the last half hour." he said as he pushed himself onto the bench making a show of squeezing even though it wasn't required.
Kord
 player, 93 posts
Thu 27 Jan 2022
at 03:10
Re: [December 2059] Mayhem and Mistletoe
The orc merc slides up to the bar alongside Grendel and Acme. "Good of you to join us spellslinger." he says, gruff but friendly in his own way. "Either of you spot anything we need to worry about?"
Hellfire
 player, 84 posts
Fri 28 Jan 2022
at 01:09
Re: [December 2059] Mayhem and Mistletoe
Hellfire gave a grin at Spriggan's enthusiasm at meeting Freya and as the bartender settled in chatting with the diminutive starlet she sat a whiskey in front of him with a wink. Raising the drink to his lips Hellfire lounged back in the booth as the rest of the crew moved in around him. It would have been easy to settle in and pretend this was just another night at the bar were it not for Kord's earlier words. Hellfire, you’re on over watch. He understood, he was familiar with the place and he would much rather keeping eyes on the place than taking a bullet for anyone. Not that he hadn't made such heroic attempts in the past.

Acme's return was less of a surprise than it perhaps should have been. "'ey omae. Guess things've been chill around here?" He asked the shaman and drank again from his glass, "The pix ain't givin' no static but couple days yet to earn our cred."

As Kord asked about the state of the place he cast his eyes around the bar, "Wouldn't worry much Kord. Been at least a couple months since the place was shot up." It was difficult to tell if he was joking.

He looked over any unfamiliar patrons, keeping in mind those around Tuzk. It was good Acme was with Tuzk's crew, not likely trouble would be coming from that camp but always possible they might be bringing trouble with them. He'd much prefer to appreciate from a distance but with Airo bouncing up and down that wasn't likely to last.
Grendel
 player, 126 posts
Fri 28 Jan 2022
at 04:42
Re: [December 2059] Mayhem and Mistletoe
I have no idea what normal even looks like here... Grendel found himself thinking as he tried to act competent.

Everyone looked different to his eyes, everyone looked vaguely dangerous, the posturing, the stares, the swagger. Was that laughter tinged with a cruel ring to it? Or was it a actually jovial? The Troll felt like a fish out of water.

But, like Kord had said, he just needed to stick close to Freya and be ready. That was his job, even if he really did want to ask Acme about Tuzk...

"Nothin' yet." He replied with a slight shake of his shaggy bearded head. He wasn't even trying to drink, the others were patronizing the place plenty, although he was getting hungry.

This was right before Airo started squealing and bouncing, which made the Troll home how feel even more conspicuous with all the stares suddenly directed their way.
Mr. Johnson
 GM, 513 posts
Fri 28 Jan 2022
at 05:32
Re: [December 2059] Mayhem and Mistletoe
Airo hops up and weaves her way through the small islands of mismatched tables and damaged chairs that are haphazardly strewn across the bar between your booth and Tuzk’s crew. As she slides up beside one of the roadies, she gracefully plucks a shotglass from his massive mitt, sloshes some bad tequila on the floor and downs the rest. Her brother one step behind claps the tusker on the shoulder as a boisterous roar rises above the din catching everyone’s attention.

Freya flits across the bar joining her friends. Snatches of conversation catch the ear: “that time in Boston” ... “the look in the hotel manager’s face” ... “Nah, nah you’re getting Buffalo and Toronto mixed up choom” - sounds like the groups have a bit of shared history on the road.

Which explains the swelling noise and calls for ”Another round of them toxic looking green ones!” As the two groups of musicians and their respective entourages merge, the growing party atmosphere gains momentum, spilling out of their corner and bringing the Wires into the mix too.

Trog rappers, viking rockstars, orc bikers and a dive bar party. For good or for ill, this could be one helluva night.
Grendel
 player, 128 posts
Sat 29 Jan 2022
at 16:56
Re: [December 2059] Mayhem and Mistletoe
Chaos. Absolute chaos.

Grendel wasn't even drinking and he felt swept up in the flow of it all. The NuYen flowed, the glasses kept coming, more of them, larger ones and more colorful concoctions.

The conversation had been a roar, then someone had shouted for the music to be turned up, and then it seemed to Grendel that everyone had to shout in a full throated bark just to be heard.

Everywhere he looked something was happening. Some skinny Ork scream vomiting his guts out in the parking lot. Something was on fire in the corner, just a little one that cast a flickering glow, a drink? A trashcan?

One of Tuzk's guys was stripped to the waist now and stumbling badly, with with a gigantic toothy grin on his face.

And through it all Grendel tried to stick close to Freya, his little needle in the haystack, who paid little thought to how hard it was for someone many times her size to follow her through a packed crowd.

He was trying his best, although he was starving now, and the cacophony of bass, cloning glasses and roaring laughter was making him a little irritable.
Kord
 player, 94 posts
Sun 30 Jan 2022
at 05:06
Re: [December 2059] Mayhem and Mistletoe
For the third time in a quarter hour, Kord glanced at the time display on the back of his goggles.  The party was starting to hit its stride and, while not overtly dangerous, it kept the merc on edge.  Both the rapper’s crew and the small squad of big bikers only seemed to be out for a good time but that was small comfort. There were at least half a dozen guns openly displayed by patrons of the bar, Hellfire even said the place had been recently shot up. Not a big surprise and not somewhere he wanted to be dodging bullets while trying to extract the girl and her friends.

Despite the static and the stress, he wasn’t second guessing his choice to give the shadows a try. Worrying about a couple of pistols in a relatively comfortable bar beats a running gun battle in a southeast Asian jungle everyday of the week.

Finding a spot back in the booth, Kord joins Hellfire and Acme while Grendel stays within arms length of Freya. “This place always like this?” he asks looking at both locals. “May need a new hometown bar. If I do stay out here in the coast, this one is the front runner.”
Acme
 player, 70 posts
 Coyote Shaman
 Avowed Pain In The Ass
Mon 31 Jan 2022
at 10:28
Re: [December 2059] Mayhem and Mistletoe
Acme nodded cordially to Hellfire. "Yeah, as chill as it always is." He drank some of his beer and scanned the room. He looked relaxed and comfortable in his surroundings. Nothing about him showed that he was even working at the moment. "I ain't worried about her. It's everybody else that makes me nervous." his words were at odds with his demeanor.

He glanced at the other runners who were on the job and said "Going to float astral, Cover me while I am down. Back in a sec." and with that he laid his head down on the table and appeared to fall asleep.

Once elevated to the world beyond Acme again scanned the bar looking for anything lurking unseen.
Mr. Johnson
 GM, 542 posts
Tue 1 Feb 2022
at 02:27
Re: [December 2059] Mayhem and Mistletoe
Over the past few minutes, a small group has quietly gathered across the bar. Most of them don't stick out, but two of them have the look of corps about them...

Looks like a meet is going down...

Check the Situation
19:21, Today: Mr. Johnson, on behalf of Acme, rolled 9 using 2d6+1 ((5,3)).
19:22, Today: Mr. Johnson, on behalf of Grendel, rolled 8 using 2d6+1 ((3,4)).
19:23, Today: Mr. Johnson, on behalf of Hellfire, rolled 7 using 2d6+1 ((2,4)).
Weak Success
@Acme, @Grendel, @Hellfire - tell me something you notice about the meet.


19:22, Today: Mr. Johnson, on behalf of Kord, rolled 6 using 2d6+1 ((1,4)).
Fail
@Kord Take 1XP PocSec Updated

Grendel
 player, 132 posts
Thu 3 Feb 2022
at 17:56
Re: [December 2059] Mayhem and Mistletoe
Grendel noted the gathering off hand amid the chaos of the celebration. One of them stood out immediately to him due to the odd coloration, and the mouth full of shark like teeth.

Orcs we're a dime a dozen, Hobgoblins were so rare in his experience that Grendel had only seen them in pictures. This one was also very hairy, with a full beard and a well coifed haircut loaded with some kind of hair product.

He was wearing a stylish suit in gray and red, open towards the top, that was cut in a way that showed him to be fairly tall and lean for his kind. A huge ring rested on one finger that looked out of place on his slender hand.

This message was last edited by the player at 20:10, Sat 05 Feb.

Mr. Johnson
 GM, 579 posts
Sat 5 Feb 2022
at 19:25
Re: [December 2059] Mayhem and Mistletoe
@Acme, @Hellfire - looking for your observations on 'the meet' happening at Kadie's.  Would like to push this thread by Sunday night if we can.
Acme
 player, 73 posts
 Coyote Shaman
 Avowed Pain In The Ass
Sun 6 Feb 2022
at 04:09
Re: [December 2059] Mayhem and Mistletoe
The Astral version of Kadie's was just as loud as the meat space version. Instead of raucous noise of partying sentients, the area was filled with the sense of emotion in various color. The drab dead things of wooden tables and glass bottles muted the area in shades of grey making a chaotic mess of confusion. Here Acme was home.

Acme's attention was drawn to a small group at the bar. Their collective Auras burned in the abstract shades of excitement and concentration. Threads of nervous intent sprinkled through each of them. White reading auras wasn't Acme's specialty there was one thing he was sure of, they weren't here to party.

Immediately his eyes were drawn to the finger of the obvious Hobgoblin. Threads of mama crackled across the little ring bringing a twinge of uncertainty to the shaman

This message was last edited by the player at 04:10, Sun 06 Feb.

Mr. Johnson
 GM, 588 posts
Mon 7 Feb 2022
at 02:35
Re: [December 2059] Mayhem and Mistletoe
A hobgoblin shaman walks into a bar… there’s a tawdry joke going around that starts like that, but this is no joke. The Arabian isn’t here holding court and slams his hand down hard on the bar. A rapid fire string of expletives in Magrebhi Arabic accompanies his growing frustration.

Across from the hot headed hobgoblin, an ornery orc on the receiving end of the tirade, slowly pushes his hand into his jacket. He gives a tusky snarl in reply but whatever he says is lost in the din of revelling rockstars and buzzed bikers, oblivious to the growing tension at the end of the bar.

@Acme, @Grendel - you are tuned into this, looks like a deal going south and quick.

@Hellfire - still with us chummer? Feel free to jump in.

@Kord - still played by me, an unworthy substitute… he’s keeping a close eye on Freya, must have missed the argument at the bar.

Acme
 player, 76 posts
 Coyote Shaman
 Avowed Pain In The Ass
Tue 15 Feb 2022
at 03:42
Re: [December 2059] Mayhem and Mistletoe
Acme lets his soul slip back into his body, but keeps his vision astral.  Keeping his hand flat on the table so his pointing isn't obvious, he points at a table, looking in a different direction, and says, "Someone's about to start throwing mana around over there.  Not at us, but... still dangerous."

He watches the other table out of the corner of his eye, ready to counterspell anything that looks sloppily targeted.
Kord
 player, 95 posts
Tue 15 Feb 2022
at 17:46
Re: [December 2059] Mayhem and Mistletoe
”Huh?” Kord grunts as Acme keys him into how things are heating up over by the bar. Giving the hobgoblin and orc a quick once over, the merc shook his head ruefully. He knew coming out here into a D-zone dive bar was a bad idea. Extra cred be damned, he hated being right. ”Ok team, listen up.” he says over the mic of your comms gear. ”This thing at the bar could boil over any second.  Bullets start flying, Gren gets the rocker chick out the door, Acme does his mojo, Hellfire and I put down enough covering fire to get us to the van with our skins intact.”

He grudgingly adds, ”Help the twins get out too if you can guys. Bad karma to leave ‘em behind.”
Mr. Johnson
 GM, 702 posts
Wed 23 Feb 2022
at 14:40
Re: [December 2059] Mayhem and Mistletoe
It’s inevitable… the shooting is about to start… where are you and what are you doing when it does?
Acme
 player, 83 posts
 Coyote Shaman
 Avowed Pain In The Ass
Thu 24 Feb 2022
at 06:10
Re: [December 2059] Mayhem and Mistletoe
Acme just stays ready, he will be covering the retreat so he's still sitting at the bar when things kick off - apparently relaxed, but actually watching the impending fight intently.
Mr. Johnson
 GM, 762 posts
Sun 6 Mar 2022
at 17:46
Re: [December 2059] Mayhem and Mistletoe
When the orc pulls out his heavy pistol, the hobgoblin takes a half step back raising his arms defensively. Over the music, the laughter and loud conversation, the report of the Predator is still sharp and deafening.

Inexplicably, the crowd at Kadie's does nothing for a long moment.  Holding still waiting to see if this is a bit of isolated gunplay that will just blow over, or if the drek is really gonna hit the fan.  Over by the bar, the bullet hovers in the air between the shaman's hands then falls to the ground harmlessly.  Unsatisfied, the orc begins firing rapidly...

...the crowd begins to seek cover or stampede toward the doors.

...maybe the bullets are coming too fast for the shaman's magic, or maybe that little trick was a one shot deal; either way, the hobgoblin is grazed and moving for cover.

...as the 'gently used' Pioneer Cybernetics Smartlink that the orc got from some street level chopper struggles to track the hobgoblin, a couple of bullets go wild.

...there is a scream from the crowd, it's Aaro, he's hit.

Freya and her small entourage are mixed in with Tuzk's crew and the Razor Wires. Several guns are out in that crowd, but so far it seems to move as one toward the door.