Chapter 2. The Aberhaven Masquerade.   Posted by Guildmaster.Group: 0
Brax
 player, 88 posts
 A bold highwayman
Sat 13 Dec 2008
at 15:00
Wouldst Thou Be A Sheep, Or A Fox?
Brax's father, grandfather, and great-grandfather before him had all been Knights of the Realm, and he had been trained to follow in their footsteps. And not only that, once he had left Braxton’s Hold and had become a sell-sword and an outlaw, he had learned by dint of hard lessons that in order to keep his head ‘pon his shoulders, ‘twas necessary to keep his head when all about him were losing theirs.

Even so, when the loud BOOM! announced the arrival of a horrific monster, the sight of the creature caused the highwayman’s face to pale in fear, and for a moment all he could do was to stare, awe-struck.

A ghostly silence momentarily fell over the crowd, followed quickly by a collective gasp of abject terror, then by such a hue and cry that one would have imagined that each and every person was feeling the mortal pain of being torn limb from limb – even as the hapless guard who was unfortunate enough to be within easy reach of the creature was suffering just such a fate.

After a few moments of simply standing and staring, Brax was able to muster sufficient force of will to consciously push his terror over into a corner of his mind, far enough out of the way to at least allow him to think rationally. To do less, he well knew, would render him only one more sheep amongst many, his living or dieing being naught but an end-result of the monster’s whimsy.

The guard who had been charged with seeing to the highwayman’s safety had disappeared, and Brax allowed himself the thinnest of smiles. He was an outlaw now, and it occurred to him that, in much the same manner as 'twas ill-advised for a fox to consort with hounds, ‘twas not in his best interests to while away o’ermuch time in close proximity to any of the gentlemen of the Guard.

Sucking a deep breath into his lungs in an effort to calm his jittery nerves, Brax craned his neck, peering out over the chaos that had erupted and seeking to catch sight of Lily. He felt an instinctive need to try and protect the woman, even as he wondered whether she had taken his advice and sought out Varakzy. Even though they were not exactly on the friendliest of terms, the rotund fellow had impressed Brax as being unusually quick-witted, and the highwayman reasoned that perchance the Korskhan might well be another who would keep his wits about him in such dire circumstances.

Brax grimaced. If Lily had chosen a bright color for her plumage this eve, she might well have stood out amongst the crowd. But as the fates would have it, the Gypsy was dressed from head to toe in a dark midnight blue, a color that caused her to melt away into the shadows. Between that and the frantic, kaleidoscopic, many-hued melee that had erupted in Duke Dorian’s courtyard as the crowd pushed, shoved, fell, and dashed hither and yon in its panic, he was unable to spot her.

With a grim expression on his face, Brax turned to survey the scene in front of the monster. Would the Guard-Captain and his men stand and fight such a horrific foe, or would they turn and run? The highwayman decided to watch for a moment, then base his actions upon what happened next.

OOC:  All: my apologies for not writing sooner. This was a difficult week for me in RL, and I had not the heart to step into Brax’s boots. I shall endeavor to do better.

Lily, I have given some thought as to whether the well-intentioned highwayman would have spotted you when he attempted to do so; for the reasons set forth in his IC post, I have decided that it was unlikely that he would have done so. If you had been up on the ledge, silhouetted against the sky *after* the monster had appeared, the result might have been different -- but I interpreted the timing of your post to be such that you had dropped to the ground and surged into the crowd *before* the appearance of the creature. I leave it to you to resolve whether Lily would do anything at this point that might catch Brax’s eye. ;-)

This message was last edited by the player at 22:37, Sun 21 Dec 2008.

Lily
 player, 37 posts
 Betrayed
Sun 14 Dec 2008
at 07:04
Escape
quote:
Lily who had managed to get to the stage coach area unhindered watched a terrible red-blackish flame rise high up into the night, followed by a loud roar that sent shivers down her spine.


For a long while Lily remained rooted to the ground, her terrified senses overwhelmed by the roaring, funneling wall of red-devil flames that flared higher and higher to singe the moonlit sky, and as she watched the fire burn she feared for her chances.

Among the high and mighty of Aberhaven, there Lily had dreamed and schemed to be so that she might find her way home. But the heavenly masquerade that would have freed her had twisted and turned to become a hellish torment, and beneath her veil Lily’s soft mouth moved in a whisper, cursing the beautiful sorceress for her infernal interference.

The fire was horrifying and mesmerizing in its grandeur and for a moment Lily looked about wishing there was someone to tell her what to do. She heard the shouting. Distant at first, then growing louder. Many voices yelling together. She could not make out the words. She had lost her head with the rest but now she searched the milling crowd that was making way for the carriages and she wondered what had become of her Poet and Highwayman, and she regretted separating from them.

Run as far as you can go! Lily told herself. They will think you dead in the melee and never think again of the tavern's slave.

The princess made her way past the row of fancy carriages. There was nothing to distinguish one from the other save for the gaudy ornamentation and colored flags, and as she looked upon them they seemed dangerous cages meant to entrap her. A column of red-cloaked swordsmen ran past as she slipped into the dark. She waited until they were well past before she darted across the carriage yard to the stables.

The noise of the crowd descending on the carriages receded as she moved deeper into the stables, but she knew that the panicked crowd would soon press after her for there was no where else to go.  Hurriedly looking about, Lily saw two great steeds awaiting riders. Grand like my father's horses, Lily thought.

Quickly but warily, the young woman made her way toward the mounts one golden, one grey; snatching up a cloak, a serviceable pair of boots, breeches and the like, and a leather bag from a peg post as she passed.

On guard for who might be watching her, Lily hastily removed her shimmering silk veil and the softly tinkling bracelets and anklets that might reveal her presence. These she bundled into the bag along with the stolen garments, and then fastened the satchel to the horn of a richly gilded saddle. The bodice vest and pantaloons that she wore would provide her little protection against the chill night air, but neither would they impede her movements, which was most important if she were to escape before being discovered.

Frightened, but strangely exhilarated, Lily plunged her slippered feet into the over-large boots, and tested their fit. Satisfied that they would do, the princess whispered a promise to the majestic animal, and then grabbing the reins Lily struggled mightily to pull herself into the saddle of the great, golden stallion.

She gasped aloud when she felt a pair of strong hands on the flare of her hips, lifting her up or pulling her down Lily did not know.
Guildmaster
 GM, 97 posts
Mon 15 Dec 2008
at 06:15
2. The Aberhaven Masquerade
No one could have predicted that a night of charitable giving and festive fun would take a 360 degree turn to become a night of complete and utter chaos. Shrieks and screams of terror erupted within the grounds of the Aberhaven Estate, displaying a scene that was almost indescribable. The demon, black and hellish as the flaming portal that borne it took a step forward, sending tremors throughout the premises. It crushed and burned everything that it touched.

Seeing their comrade crushed under the terrible blow of the monster sent cries of panic among the soldiers who stood beside their Captain, weapons drawn but useless in their wielder's hand. The Captain, however still kept his wits about him and without a moment's hesitation, he brought the horn to his lips and blew three sharp blasts, paused a moment and blew another three sharp blasts.

It wouldn't be very long before the entire City Watch was mobilized and those from the Duke's Army would be ready to face the threat.

---

The guard blinked at Emeric's feather, momentarily unsure of what to do. He snapped his head right and watched a large demon emerge from behind the trees and at Emeric's insistence managed to nod dumbly, "Yes. Yes sir, please go in!" And with that Emeric was in the Duke's Mansion.

The fine and grand decorations proved to be for naught because the chaos that was happening outside was reflected indoors as well. The Duke was no where to be seen in the great hall but guards armed to the teeth were patrolling the grand hallways and assuring panicking guests that they would be safe indoors. However, the large windows along the walls did nothing to safeguard the guests from the horrors happening outside.

Emeric tried to find some space for himself and rethink his plan. Unexpectedly, within the cacophony and mess of bodies, a hand clamped over Emeric's arm. Looking up, it was one of the mansion guards and "Come with me," was all he said.

---

Strong hands grabbed Yorgorov roughly by the shoulders and the guard yelled, "I have no time for such nonsense! But a witch you say?" Turning to his comrade by the gate he yelled, "Arm yourself! We have to block of the premises and catch this foul miscreant! I'll get the Captain to sort this out."

Without warning, a tremor hit them and the guard stumbled, his armour clattering loudly. "What the---" Finally, the demon that was terrorizing the guests came into view. Following that, six blasts of the horn was a signal to the guard that the Watch and Barracks were in the process of being alerted of the danger. In an instant, a mob of guests were barreling down the pathway, eager to make for the exit.

"By the Watcher! You're right!" Turning back to Yorgorov, the guard ordered, "You will stay out of the way citizen!" Shoving Yorgorov aside, the guard drew his weapon and ran off in the direction of the carnage and destruction while guests struggled for safety outside the Estate.


---

Tyr and a few soldiers scurried to hide behind an abandoned cart carrying a large supply of fireworks. From where they were hidden, they could see the demon clearly. It's massive body was muscular and strong and through it was as black as night, it had streams of glowing red coursing through its body. It's claws like hands were large and deadly while it had features of an undeveloped man, it's protruding lower jaw revealed razor sharp teeth and two long fangs.

While guests ran helter skelter aimlessly in all directions, soldiers decked in the Duke's hawk red and yellow colours were rushing to the scene. Within seconds, a rank of archers were formed and a volley of arrows rained down on the demon. As the arrows hit they merely fizzled and burned, causing nothing more than a minor irritation to the demon who was now thrashing and crushing anything within it's reach with a sweep of his arms.

Drawing his attention back to the demon, Tyr noticed the flaming portal was still open, who knows what other horrendous monsters might emerge from it. Sucking in a breath, Tyr made a mad dash towards the captain, avoiding a blow by a hair's breath.

"Captain! The portal! We have to close it!"

Nodding in agreement, the Captain turned to one of his men and said, "Send for the wizards!"

---

"He told me you'd be coming," the man said as he helped Lily onto the golden stallion. Shocked by the sudden appearance of a strange, Lily recoiled from his touch.

"I'm sorry!" The man apologized quickly. He looked at the riderless stallion and asked, "Did you come alone? There are two saddled horses but only one rider..."

Decked in a suit of purple and hidden under a golden mask filigreed with silver, the man said, "I was told to saddle the horses and that a lady in a midnight veil would come take them. And true enough, you appeared."

"But he did not say you were this beautiful," the man added quietly. Chancing a glance outside, the man breathed, "I don't suppose we have much time. But I was told to give you this."

The man reaches into his pouch and produces a small package wrapped in brown paper and fastened by a red ribbon. With shaking hands, he hands the package to Lily.

---

Reaching the back of the Mansion was no easy task. While Moerdyn's effort in subtlety paid off because if he had not hidden himself, he would have been seen by a column of guards rushing to aid the situation in the middle of the Estate.


One heartbeat. Two. Three and suddenly, the back door opened with a loud bang. A woman dressed in a flowing pink gown and a mask plumed with feathers and beaded with sequins in a fanciful pattern emerged. She appeared to be flustered with her hurried breathing and uncertain gestures. In her hand was a small brown package secured by a red ribbon.

This message was last edited by the GM at 08:42, Tue 16 Dec 2008.

Emeric
 player, 31 posts
Mon 15 Dec 2008
at 22:47
Re: 2. The Aberhaven Masquerade
Guildmaster:
The guard blinked at Emeric's feather, momentarily unsure of what to do. He snapped his head right and watched a large demon emerge from behind the trees and at Emeric's insistence managed to nod dumbly, "Yes. Yes sir, please go in!" And with that Emeric was in the Duke's Mansion.


Emeric didn't need asking twice, and slipped inside, scanning the turmoil inside, and already knowing the horrors approaching.  He wished he had found a way to bring his bow, for that fine weapon could help in his hands.  Yet would he really want to draw attention to himself?  Probably not, he thought to himself as he tried to find a quiet corner to think.

Guildmaster:
Emeric tried to find some space for himself and rethink his plan. Unexpectedly, within the cacophony and mess of bodies, a hand clamped over Emeric's arm. Looking up, it was one of the mansion guards and "Come with me," was all he said.


Emeric resisted initially, and then nodded, slipping closer to the guard and saying, "Trust this old man, and tell your archers to aim for the eyes."  With that he allowed himself to be drawn away from the gate.  Hope this is my lead to the contact, he thought to himself, also hoping the little aid he could provide at this point could make a difference.
Yorgorov Varakzy
 player, 68 posts
 Dark eyed poet
Tue 16 Dec 2008
at 22:54
Re: 2. The Aberhaven Masquerade
Yorgorov's mind was awash with terror. Even the noble-born and well travelled Korskhan fell speechless at the sight of the creature, it was something so horrible and wrong that it was offensive to even look at on the basest and most primal level. And fall Yorgorov did as the guard pushed past him and knocked him to the ground, where he lay prone for what seemed like an aeon, his wits lost to him.


Yorgorov made it to his knees and started to stand, his motions unsteady and wild, all thought turned to that of escape, his mind shut down to all except the instinct to survive. Turning away from the beast Yorgorov threw himself towards the gate where the guards had previously been stationed. As he fell to it he stopped, tasting salt in his mouth he realised he had been crying. The bitter taste brought back Yorgorov to his senses and he stopped in his tracks, inches from the gate.

Something stirred inside of the poet, something all too familiar. It had carried him in times past and a lifetime ago it had driven him to the greatest successes and les him to the most terrible tragedy. It was warm and inviting, gentle and warm.

Greed.

Turning back towards the beast Yorgorov scanned his surroundings and ducked in to the shadows to get closer.
Lily
 player, 39 posts
 Betrayed
Fri 19 Dec 2008
at 14:13
Gift From  a Stranger
Lily shied from his touch and quickly settled herself upon the mount, not wanting the unexpected stranger to reach for her again. But when the gentleman spoke of being told that she would appear, a chill crept down Lily’s spine as she realized what was afoot.

What sorcery is this! Lily thought as she remembered the secret voice that had whispered her to the carriages and then, when that plot had failed, the low murmurs that had urged her on to the horses, saying, “Curses! Change of plans, get to the stables. Two horses will be saddled and ready. . .”

“But how can it be that someone knew to send you to me?” Lily  puzzled aloud, making every effort to calm herself and appear composed as she peered down through the gloom to see what she could of the masked man’s features.

   She’d thought to come of her own accord, hadn’t she?

      How could another know what she might do?

         And yet the stranger described a lady in a blue veil.


            Mayhap when he saw her approach the stable he fashioned his words to match. . .

            Or mayhap not, and this be witchcraft!


So it was in a matter of seconds that Lily pondered and reasoned, and then she shuddered in fearful consternation.

“I—I thank you for your help, good sir,” the princess replied shakily when she found her voice.

But, it was after a long moment’s pause in which she debated with her wiser self the wisdom of accepting a gift from a stranger on this of all nights that curiosity won out. Foolishly perhaps, Lily eyed the little red package which he proffered. Then reaching her hand, with trembling fingertips she plucked the parcel from the hold of the unlikely groom.

When nothing more happened to confound her further, Lily demanded forcefully from where she sat atop the great steed, “Good milord, I would know who is it who sent you to me, so certain that you would find me here when I have only just come of my own accord.”
Brax
 player, 92 posts
 A bold highwayman
Sat 20 Dec 2008
at 23:33
Not My Fight . . .
Brax stood and watched as the Guard-Captain and his men gave ground in an orderly fashion, for to have tried to form a line of battle and meet the monstrous creature head-on would clearly have meant instant death. As it was, the troops maintained their discipline and did not drop their weapons and flee in panic as they backed away -- which, to Brax’s way of thinking, reflected well upon their officer.

That Guard-Captain is obviously a man who does his duty even in the face of great danger, as well as being a strong leader. In my present line of endeavor, I would do well to steer clear of him, the highwayman decided.

As Brax looked on, archers clad in red and yellow rushed up and formed up into a ragged line. In seconds they had loosed their arrows, which hissed and burst into flames, harmlessly burning away into nothingness as soon as they touched the monster. The horrid creature swatted at the arrows in much the same way as a human would wave away an annoying swarm of midges. It did not escape Brax’s notice that the verdant lawn was scorched and blackened wherever the monster’s feet trod.

”Send for the wizards!” he heard the Guard-Captain bellow. Given the ineffectiveness of normal weapons, it seemed only logical. Brax craned his neck, looking over the crowd.

Might there be any magickers amongst the Duke’s guests in attendance this eve, he wondered, men and women who could gain much glory -- as well as quite likely Duke Dorian's personal gratitude -- by stepping forward in this moment of crisis and using their powers to defeat this horrid monstrosity? He also found himself wondering what had become of the emerald-clad sorceress who had seemingly set much of this chaos into motion. And last but by no means least, Brax's thoughts turned to Lily, and he most fervently hoped that wherever the onyx-eyed beauty might be at the moment, she was safe.

Clearly, however, there was nothing he himself could do in the face of the present peril if the Duke’s heavily-armed guards could do naught but give ground before the creature. One would do well to pick his battles in this world, the highwayman knew, and this was not his. Brax began moving towards the Duke’s mansion, reasoning that Duke Dorian had most likely taken refuge inside and that the defenses would be organized to keep the creature away from the Duke’s person at all costs. And besides, wasn’t the feather in his jacket-pocket intended to gain him entrance to that very place?

As he strode towards the gates of the imposing mansion, roughly shoving aside any of the panicked mob who blocked his progress, the highwayman found himself wondering why the writer of the mysterious letter had wished him to be inside this evening, and whether whatever might have been planned would still come to pass . . .

This message was last edited by the player at 00:38, Sun 21 Dec 2008.

Moerdyn
 player, 25 posts
 Less than a prince
 More than a thief
Mon 22 Dec 2008
at 16:06
The Package
The guards who had walked pass him just mere seconds ago could still be heard a distance away and Moerdyn feared of what was to come.

The monster that appeared through that fiery portal was the least of his concern, what he was more concerned about was finding that witch who was the root of all problems. However, now he had other matters to attend to.

Moerdyn squinted in the darkness as he waited in his hiding spot for the so called "deliverer" of a certain package. And he didn't have to wait long before he saw a girl flustered and pretty in pink burst out through the backdoor.

Following his gut instinct that that person was his contact, Moerdyn rose from his crouch and whispered to her, "Lady, is that for me?" as he stepped into the light
Guildmaster
 GM, 101 posts
Wed 24 Dec 2008
at 05:00
2. The Aberhaven Masquarade
The blue eyed mansion guard stared at Emeric a moment before shrugging at his advice, “Please keep up.” Was all he said before he led Emeric through a throng of frightened guests. While most of them were strangers, Emeric noticed a few familiar faces belonging to the political sphere of Aberhaven.

The guard paving the way infront of him seemed sure of where he was going, and after walking up a flight of stairs, passing through a few walkways and opening a few doors, the duo found themselves away from the crowd and alone in a room with a dead body sprawled in the middle.

-----

Wiping his hands nervously on his sleeve, the man took the reins of Lily’s horse and was startled by Lily’s question. He opened his mouth to speak but his look of confusion belied that he truly did not know how to answer Lily. “I’m, I’m sorry Milady. I do not know…” He squeezed his eyes shut and rubbed his temples tiredly. “Sometimes I hear it in my head, but I cannot tell if it’s really me thinking these things or someone is telling me to do them…”

“I… I can’t control myself sometimes but it’s like… I know these things,” he chokes, “And sometimes... it hurts. I get these massive headaches…,” he falters letting his voice trail off. A moment passes between them but a scream from outside reminds him of his original mission, “Please, take that with you and go.”

----

Tyr did not know how to start defeating this monster, in all his training they did not prepare him for situations like this. But he was worried about Rhollin Grail, if this demon emerged from the portal the witch conjured, who’s to know what awaited his lord on the other side! Damn the witch, he cursed.

With another great roar and sweep of his arms, the abyssal demon took down more soldiers and guests. The next volley of arrows did nothing to quell the demonic madness but suddenly, out from the gloom a group of wizards appeared.

Decked in robes of white, the group of wizards had both young and old in their ranks. And the trimming and patterns on their robes seem to indicate their rank in the Order. Once the magic wielders were in positions, the magical hum of spells filled the air as the wizards started chanting a myriad of spells. In a split second, the magical hum culminated to a noise that sounded like a flock of shrieking birds as a millions of bright pink orbs shot forth from the wizards hands, arcing wildly into the night sky before finding it’s target.

----

The Mansion guard rushed forward and knelt down beside the body lying in a pool of blood. He reached down, removed the man’s blue avian mask and touched the man’s neck. “Damn them. He’s dead.” The guard cursed.

Dressed in an elaborate blue suit with feathers decorating the shoulder blades, the fallen man looked relatively young and dampening his brown hair was a large head wound. There were no weapons around him or any other artifacts that would have indicated who attacked him with what.

The guard then reached down began searching the fallen man’s pockets. A few moments later, he pulled out a cream white cloth. Unfolding it, the guard huffed and threw the cloth onto the ground angrily. “They took it.”

Looking back up at Emeric, he said, “I don’t think this was part of the plan.” Just then the sound of footsteps could be heard just outside. Dipping his hand into the dead man’s pockets again, the mansion guard found a parchment and feather similar to Emeric’s. Picking up the blue avian mask, the guard walked swiftly over to a window, opened it, and motioned for Emeric to approach.

Shoving the mask, parchment and feather into Emeric’s hand, he said “Take this. Take it to the Blue Mermaid Inn down at the Docks. There is a well behind the Inn, drop all this into the well. We can't leave any trace of us.”

Just as he finished the door to the room burst opened and five other mansion guards rushed into the room. Saw the dead body and drew their weapons. The guard who stood by Emeric was quick to turn on him as he too drew his weapon and yelled, “Drop what you have in your hands and surrender. Or we will take you down by force.”

“What happened in here?” One of the guards asked, approaching Emeric steadily.

The guard looked at Emeric firmly and said to his comrades behind, “I came in and saw this man beside the body. I questioned him but he attacked me. We exchanged a few blows and thank god you all arrived…”

----

The party was meant to be fun, but fun was the last thing she would associate this dastardly night with. To the girl in the pink gown, the letter and feather that had come to her mysteriously was all to be blamed. If anybody found out what I just did...My reputation would be ruined! she thought to herself forlornly, and just as her mind was reeling from the possible consequences of her actions tonight, Moerdyn's voice startled her.

Spinning on her heels, her breath caught in her throat.

"Lady, is that for me?" he asked, motioning to the package in her hands which prompted her to hide it.

"What is it you want?" she asked defensively. But then the colour of his mask - red and silver - triggered a memory. Wasn't she told to hand it to someone with his exact description? But wait, could she trust him? No, she couldn't. Who could she trust? It seems she couldn't even trust herself anymore either, who was telling her these things? Was it her? Was she going crazy?

She should never have decided to come tonight. Foolish of her to do so, whatever mysterious note was definitely a joke, a cruel one indeed. Just give the responsibility to someone else, you fool she scolded herself, You've followed instructions, done the deed, now it's someone else's turn!

"Yes, it's you isn't it. The one who's suppose to take this?" she asked. But without even waiting for a reply, she shoves the package into Moerdyn's hands and said, "Just take it. I'm getting out of here. Bye."

Picking up the sides of her gown, she adjusts her masks and dashes out into the open crowd, apparently unaware of the dangers there too...

---

Each magical orb that hit the creature exploded in a loud burst of magical energy causing the demon to shriek in agony.

"It's working!" the soldiers enthused.

And so, the wizards continued their magic, casting spell after spell while the archers fired volley after volley of arrows to keep the demon occupied. However, unseen by anything was that tiny craters appeared on the monster's skin whenever the magical orbs made a hit. Just when the situation was turned in their favour, no one could expect what was about to happen next.

---

As Brax reached the entrance of the Mansion, he noticed that the guards were still being jostled by the crowd who were pleading for safe haven. Suddenly, a hand clamped down on his arm followed by a plea, "Come with me. We need your help in the mansion."

It was the young acrobat who had been performing on stage earlier.

---

As another wave of magic missiles crashed into the creature, the craters on the demon started to pulsate as it something beneath it's skin was struggling to break free from the membrane that held it captive. The demon thrashed and roared as if in pain. Suddenly, from within it's body, tiny flying creatures the size of birds crawled out from the craters, taking flight the moment they found their freedom.

With a final roar of agony, the demon exploded and out poured a tide of infernal flying creatures that shrieked and flapped as wildly as a flock of crows. They swarmed around attacking and pecking at anyone and anything with their razor sharp beaks and deadly claws...

---

The young acrobat looked at Brax squarely and hoped for him to follow her, but before he could even react to her request, the flying beasts were already creating havoc around them. One of them swooped down at the acrobat and peck her right in the eye. The girl cried out in pain as blood gushed from her face. It took only a moment for the blood letting to alert the other creatures around. In a blink of an eye, more and more of them swarmed around her, clawing and pecking at the girl as their hungry inhuman gnawing and gnashing mingled with her screams of terror...

This message was last edited by the GM at 15:42, Sun 28 Dec 2008.

Yorgorov Varakzy
 player, 70 posts
 Dark eyed poet
Mon 29 Dec 2008
at 18:14
Re: 2. The Aberhaven Masquarade
From behind and upturned table Yorgorov's head rose cautiously, he had snuk back to capture the epic battle between the soldiers, wizards and the Beast so that he could write about it. This could be his ticket back to fame and fortune he thought and he had scribbled furiously all the details he could about the scene unfolding before him. His fervour with his writing staved off the chilling fear he felt that would otherwise have sent him fleeing for his life.

Yorgorov had been focising his attention on one particularly old wizard, who though aged and decrepid physically had a sense of grandeur about him that betrayed the power he posessed. As the wizened sage hurled a bolt of magical power towards the Beast Yorgorov's eyes found purchase on a familiar face, or rather a familiar mask.

Enigma!

The mysterious Enigma had not feld the field as Yorgorov and the other guests at the party had done, for some reason he had stayed, perhaps out of some misquided sense of imprtance or martial prowess, or perhaps the the man who had introduced himself as Milord Enigma really did know what he was doing in a situation like this. He certainly had had an air of extreme confidence about him when he and yorgorov had met earlier and when the trouble started and yorgorov had started to panic he realised that Enigma had kept his cool throughout.

Roaring with agony the Beast finally succumbed to the magical onslaught. As it died it tore open and hundreds of sharp winged creatures errupted from it's blistered hide. they descended on the soldiers and wizards who desperately fought them off as best they could against the bladelike demons.

Someone grabbed the masked man's arm, it was one of the performers from the evening's scheduled entertainment. She started to say something as Yorgorov spotted one of the small things diving towards them

Enigma!

Yorgorov tried to scream a warning but it was too late, it had speared the performer girl's eye and know a flock of the sharp demons descended on her, rending her linb from limb as her screams wailed on tortuously.

The situation was well out of hand and Yorgorov's greed for fame was overcome by his sense of preservation. Hoping that he had not been heard by the demons yorgorov desperately hoped that Engma had heard though in the racket and din of the battle it was hard to know either way. Yorgorov scavenged what armour he could from the metal trays and plate lids strewn on the floor around him and took cover once more.
Brax
 player, 96 posts
 A bold highwayman
Mon 29 Dec 2008
at 23:31
Devil Take The Hindmost
"We?" Who the bloody hell is “we?” Brax wondered as the young woman – he recognized her to be the amazingly talented acrobat who had earlier performed the nearly unbelievable feat of flipping in mid-air and landing atop a sword-blade –- asked him to come with her, grasping his forearm and whispering that “we need your help in the mansion.”

However, before he could even voice his reply, the hellish, bird-sized flying creatures that had burst out of the huge monster as the cumulative effects of the wizards’ magicks spelled its doom swept down out of the darkened night sky. He thought he heard someone yell "Enigma!" from somewhere behind him just as one of the monsters pecked the acrobat in the eye -- and an instant later more of them swarmed about her, perhaps drawn by the blood that coursed down her cheek. Her cries of pain and terror were echoed among the crowd as pandemonium broke out, incited by the attacks of the flying creatures.

Brax swept off his cloak and wound it several times around his left forearm. There had been several instances when, as a wily, experienced swordsman, he had used his cloak as a makeshift shield to block his foe's blade -- and he hoped that it would be equally effective in fending off the flying creatures’ sharp beaks and flesh-rending claws. He swatted at the swarm of monsters that hovered above his and the woman’s heads with his cloak-covered arm, trying to knock aside as many as he could. He wasn’t so much interested in harming the creatures as in sweeping them aside, thereby providing an opportunity to flee from the onslaught. He instinctively knew that he couldn’t do much to aid the other hapless party guests, but he was determined to save the young woman and himself.

Reaching down and seizing her hand with his own free hand, he bellowed, ”Stay with me! We’ve got to get inside!”

Then he lowered his left shoulder and bulled his way through the open doors of the mansion. The guards stationed at each side of the doorway were too busy trying to fend off the flying monsters to attempt to bar his way, and no one in the crowd of party-guests could stand before his strength and single-minded determination to get himself and the young acrobat into the mansion. He kept a tight hold on her hand and pulled her along behind him until they were both inside; then he turned about to face the woman, wondering if any of the monsters still clung to her.

OOC: TAZ, at some point Brax will realize that it must have been Yorgorov who was shouting at him outside, but right now there is too much happening too fast for him to give it any thought. ;-)

This message was last edited by the player at 00:00, Tue 30 Dec 2008.

Yorgorov Varakzy
 player, 73 posts
 Dark eyed poet
Tue 13 Jan 2009
at 18:55
Re: Devil Take The Hindmost
Yorgorov waited for what seemed like forever until he could no longer stand the blood pumping in his ears and the fear welling up inside him. Hechanced a glance back over his makeshift barricade and saw Enigma and the bloodied woman diving through the doors of the mansion. A cold awareness surrounded the fallen Korskhan as he rose to his feet and started to run. It was his choice to either follow after the disappeared Enigma or stay and hide untill the bladed demon beasts found him and he suffered and equally visceral fate to that of the guardsmen who had died fighting them. Yorgorov pulled his heavy robes over his head for protection and all surrounding noise faded and his vision tunnelled untill he could only see the doorway ahead.

He ran.
Lily
 player, 40 posts
 Betrayed
Wed 14 Jan 2009
at 02:12
Hurry, Lily!
quote:
Wiping his hands nervously on his sleeve, the man took the reins of Lily’s horse and was startled by Lily’s question. He opened his mouth to speak but his look of confusion belied that he truly did not know how to answer Lily. “I’m, I’m sorry Milady. I do not know…” He squeezed his eyes shut and rubbed his temples tiredly. “Sometimes I hear it in my head, but I cannot tell if it’s really me thinking these things or someone is telling me to do them…”

“I… I can’t control myself sometimes but it’s like… I know these things,” he chokes, “And sometimes... it hurts. I get these massive headaches…,” he falters letting his voice trail off. A moment passes between them but a scream from outside reminds him of his original mission, “Please, take that with you and go.”


Lily’s grip tightened on the reins, her face pale in the flickering dark, her feelings in too fearsome a tangle to try to sort one from the other.

           A demon was on the rampage . . .
                      terror everywhere . . .
                                    on her own . . .
        Get thee away! Hurry, Lily! Get thee away!
                . . .  thoughts rang and clashed inside her head.


Lily searched for an explanation that would sound even somewhat reasonable, but all she could do in the end was part her lips to speak, and then close them again. She was frightened beyond words.

“But—but what of the other rider?” Lily cried out at last, her panicked gaze darting about for someone to accompany her; and when neither Poet nor Enigma emerged from the dark to come to her rescue, Lily’s look settled on the stranger and she implored him heartbreakingly, “Please, my good lord, will you not accompany me?”
Emeric
 player, 34 posts
Thu 15 Jan 2009
at 20:32
Re: 2. The Aberhaven Masquarade
Guildmaster:
Shoving the mask, parchment and feather into Emeric’s hand, he said “Take this. Take it to the Blue Mermaid Inn down at the Docks. There is a well behind the Inn, drop all this into the well. We can't leave any trace of us.”

Just as he finished the door to the room burst opened and five other mansion guards rushed into the room. Saw the dead body and drew their weapons. The guard who stood by Emeric was quick to turn on him as he too drew his weapon and yelled, “Drop what you have in your hands and surrender. Or we will take you down by force.”

“What happened in here?” One of the guards asked, approaching Emeric steadily.

The guard looked at Emeric firmly and said to his comrades behind, “I came in and saw this man beside the body. I questioned him but he attacked me. We exchanged a few blows and thank god you all arrived…”


Emeric slipped his hand out from inside his coat, to show his empty hand, and was glad he'd slipped all the items inside while covered by the guard.  Thinking quickly he used what he knew to his advantage.  Time seemed to slow as he thought threw actions.  Can't jump, too high.  Nor fight, too many.  Must act the part, and distract them from what the "ally" guard had jsut said.  Help me Father!
Lifting his hands up, the cane in his left hand, Emeric concentrated on his voice.  "I have not touched the body, and I am not a threat."  Waiting to see if it worked, he added in a more normal voice, "I was led to this room by one of your colleagues, at the request I presume of the dead man.  On finding the body, the fellow ran off to presumedly get you!  I was at the window to see what all the commotion was outside.  If I am to be treated as a criminal, the Duke will hear of it.  I am here at his invite.  I will see he hears you acted promptly in getting here at least, but I'll also tell him of any further time you waste of mine!  Now may I put my arms down?  I'm tired."  The voice was of a well to do man, one used to having the Duke's ear perhaps, and one with power to make a guards life very difficult, but one that would praise those that helped him.

Emeric kept his finger on the release of the finely worked trigger on the cane, in case he had to make use of the hidden blade.  No fencer, he hoped to at least bide time if his fathers "family rite" had failed him.  What he did do was burn the image of face of the guard who had led him to this room into his mind.  Friend or foe, he'd never forget him.
Moerdyn
 player, 26 posts
 Less than a prince
 More than a thief
Sun 18 Jan 2009
at 06:43
Re: 2. The Aberhaven Masquarade
Moerdyn stared at the package in his hands and back up at the lady who disappeared into the raging crowd just a few metres from where he stood. What the heck is she talking about He fiddled with the ribbon and was tempted to open in. Why was she so scared?

Moerdyn scanned the vicinity and knew that he had to act fast. Pretty soon the guards would be here and he didn't know why, but he felt the need to hide. Most probably because of the "voice" or his "conscience" that had been giving him directives.

Just then, he heard a loud roar and suddenly, the air was filled with those deadly creatures that descended upon them like a pack of wolves. Just then one of them found him and started attacking him, Moerdyn flailed about wildly fending himself from the sharp claws of the beast.

Then, he remembered from where the lady emerged. The backdoor! Punching the creature once, the beast wailed in pain and immediately was joined by another pack all eyeing him as dinner. Scrambling wildly, Moerdyn threw open the backdoor and slammed it shut just as he entered the mansion fully.
Guildmaster
 GM, 107 posts
Sun 25 Jan 2009
at 15:48
Re: 2. The Aberhaven Masquarade
Everyone in the battle field recoiled in shock when the final blast of energy from the wizards' spells tore through the demon. But before they could fully recover, the soldiers and everyone within the confines of the mansion had a new evil to battle.

Tyr, who had drawn his weapon by now jumped into battle immediately. He batted away one of the flying creatures who had swooped down to attack the soldier standing beside him. Slashing and hacking with precision, Tyr gritted his teeth as he felled the creatures blow by blow.

* * * * * *

Meanwhile, Emeric was faced with a crisis of his own. His attempt to negotiate with the guards seemed to work alittle, but the guards, remained unphased for they did not lower their weapons. They eyed Emeric's cane suspiciously and said, "Lower your weapon sir, and there will be no need for violence."

When Emeric proceeded to explain his presence in the room, the guards began to eye each other curiously, and then at Emeric suspiciously, "What colleague? Who led you here? Did you see this man alive when you arrived?"

The guard who had indeed led Emeric to the room narrowed his eyes at him. His blue eyes studying Emeric's expression intently, almost as if trying to read Emeric's mind. He however, remained calm and did nothing to betray his countenance.

"If you are indeed the Duke's guest, then we suggest you let us take you into custody like the rest of the guests. There is no need for violence," inching forward, one of the guards standing nearest to him suggested.

* * * * * *

Brax's quick reaction had most probably saved the acrobat's life, but she continued to scream and scream. Flailing her arms frantically as she struggled to contain the bleeding and fight the pain that wrecked her body. The creatures who were still clinging to her soon found themselves beaten to a pulp by Brax's bare hands.

Yorgorov who had sprinted afer Brax, managed to squeeze in between the doors just before they slammed shut behind him. However, he did not arrive at the mansion unscathed. Two of the creatures had gotten hold of his clothes and were tearing away at them in earnest.

* * * * * *

A pack of fanged creatures shrieked and clawed at the air, flapping their wings rapidly as they found a way into the stables. Their sharp beaks snapped rapidly, revealing tiny razor like teeth within their deadly maws as soon as they spotted Lily, the man and horses as their next prey. They had already tasted blood from some unfortunate victims outside, but they needed more to feed their hunger.

“Please, my good lord, will you not accompany me?” Lily implored.

And just as the man was about to decline her offer, he was attacked by the swarm of creatures. He screamed in terror and grabbed onto the reins of the stallion next to Lily. The horses reared and whined, terrified by the sudden appearance of the foul demonic crows. The creatures pecked away at the man's golden mask, drawing blood from the flesh beneath as they continued to tear at his flesh. Lily too was not spared for one of the creatures saw her and started attacking her hair.

"Ahhhh!" The man cried as the horse's reins that he was hanging onto decided to make a dash for the exit. Terrified and screaming, the poor man was dragged outside by the animal...

* * * * * *

The wizards who had summoned a spell large enough to kill the demon were equally surprised at the consequence of killing the demon. Many of the younger wizards were immediately taken out of action when the creatures began their attack on them. And while most of the wizards continued to summon spell after spell to fend for themselves.

But in the midst of the chaos, if anyone was watching, they would have noticed a figure decked in grand robes of silvery white with roses embroidered onto it's sleeve entered the battlefield calmly. None of the creatures touched the figure as it made it's way towards the foot of the demonic portal.

Once squarely in front of the portal's swirling dark mass, the figure reached out calmly to touch the portal's surface...

This message was last edited by the GM at 15:55, Sun 25 Jan 2009.

Emeric
 player, 35 posts
Sun 25 Jan 2009
at 23:18
Re: 2. The Aberhaven Masquarade
Guildmaster:
Meanwhile, Emeric was faced with a crisis of his own. His attempt to negotiate with the guards seemed to work alittle, but the guards, remained unphased for they did not lower their weapons. They eyed Emeric's cane suspiciously and said, "Lower your weapon sir, and there will be no need for violence."

Emeric looked confused, and then noticed their attention was on his cane.  "Oh this, sorry.  I forget it sometimes."  Dropping it, Emeric considered himself hardly defenceless, but certainly at a disadvantage.  At least it had seemed to relax the swrodsmen a little, and for that he was greateful.
Guildmaster:
When Emeric proceeded to explain his presence in the room, the guards began to eye each other curiously, and then at Emeric suspiciously, "What colleague? Who led you here? Did you see this man alive when you arrived?"

The guard who had indeed led Emeric to the room narrowed his eyes at him. His blue eyes studying Emeric's expression intently, almost as if trying to read Emeric's mind. He however, remained calm and did nothing to betray his countenance.

"As I said, the guard who led me here told me to stay here with the body, and he went out to collect more of you.  I assumed you had run into him, and come here at his order.  Perhaps he went another way."  Emeric hoped there were more than two ways into this area of the mansion, and that the chance they had missed the other guard would distract them.  "And yes, the man was dead when we arrived.  This other guard came in and assumed I was responsible.  Hardly an error on his part, for I feel I would make the same mistake."
Guildmaster:
"If you are indeed the Duke's guest, then we suggest you let us take you into custody like the rest of the guests. There is no need for violence," inching forward, one of the guards standing nearest to him suggested.

Emeric was almost tempted to inch forward himself, but knew that would be considered a threat.  Making sure he didn't retreat was the important thing, for why would a man of power, indeed a friend of the Duke, retreat from them.

"I give my word I have had nothing to do with the death of this man.  If you insist on taking me to the other guests, then I will accept your armed guard happily.  We will indeed see what the Duke says, when he has dealt with the troubles outside.  Lead on please."  With that Emeric waves his hand towards the door, waiting for some of the guards to move in front, and then the others follow behind.  Hoping that the allowance he had given them to remain armed and threatening to him would allow them to take the option to escort him to the other guests.
Yorgorov Varakzy
 player, 78 posts
 Dark eyed poet
Mon 26 Jan 2009
at 14:12
Re: 2. The Aberhaven Masquarade
Yorgorov slipped made it inside the closing doorway with all the finnesse of an anvil. Two of the clawed creatures had detatched from the swarm outside and latched on to his robes. Yorgorov felt the chilling sensation of ice cold metal on his face. Yorgorov ran all the faster but suddenly the world span aorund him and his feet came out from under him as his robe caught in the finaly closed door to the mansion. He cracked his head on the stone floor of the entrance hall and flailed as the blade birds clawed and scratched at his face.
Brax
 player, 103 posts
 A bold highwayman
Sun 1 Feb 2009
at 23:03
Protect Your Eyes!
As soon as he pulled the girl through the double doors and onto the marble floor of the entrance-hall of the Duke’s mansion, Brax turned to the young acrobat. He had resolutely held onto her hand as he dragged her along behind him, notwithstanding her screams of terror and attempts to pull away from him -- for he feared that in her hysterical state of mind she would be unable to adequately think for herself, and would quickly fall victim to onslaught of the fell creatures.

Her screams were all the louder now that they were inside, and he saw that she was frantically beating at two of the creatures that still clung to her with her free hand. Brax quickly concluded that he would need both of his hands free to deal with the sharp-beaked, razor-toothed monsters, but he felt certain that as soon as he released his grip on the girl she would run away in panic-stricken terror.

So he tripped her, kicking her legs out from under her and throwing her to the floor. ”Stay down!” he growled.

He grabbed the first creature and pried it off of her, its beak red with her blood. His lips curled in disgust as he threw the monster to the marble floor and crushed it with his boot. The highwayman grabbed the second monster with both hands and took a sharp bite for his trouble, but took a firm hold and wrenched the creature’s neck and dropped it to the floor, where it gasped and croaked like a fish out of water as it thrashed about in its death-throes.

Hearing the heavy doors of the mansion slam shut like the stroke of doom, Brax glanced in that direction in time to see Varakzy brought up short and hurled to the floor when his robe was caught in the crack between the doors.

”Bloody hell!” he cursed as he saw the poet land hard, hitting his head on the marble floor. The Korskhan was still conscious, for he flailed at the creatures that bedeviled him -- but to Brax’s eye the man’s efforts seemed a little weak, as if he might have been stunned by his hard fall.

Knowing that with the sharp-beaked creatures attacking Varakzy’s face, mere instants might mean the difference in whether the rotund poet kept his eyesight, Brax dashed over to the struggling man.

”You protect your eyes," he urged, "and I’ll get them off you!”

OOC: I’ve written my impression of poor Yororov’s plight, and how Brax would respond. Yorgorov, if any of this rings false to you, please let me know, and I’ll cheerfully edit. ;-)

This message was last edited by the player at 23:09, Sun 01 Feb 2009.

Lily
 player, 43 posts
 Betrayed
Mon 2 Feb 2009
at 12:54
Up To Her Nose
quote:
The horses reared and whined, terrified by the sudden appearance of the foul demonic crows. The creatures pecked away at the man's golden mask, drawing blood from the flesh beneath as they continued to tear at his flesh. Lily too was not spared for one of the creatures saw her and started attacking her hair.

“AAAAAAHHHH!” A shrill, frenzied scream ripped from Lily’s throat as she tumbled awkwardly from the saddle of the wildly rearing horse.

As she struck the hard-packed earthen floor of the stable, Lily heard a sharp cracking sound and felt a spray of hot blood on her hands and arms as she protected her face.  A demon creature that was more dead than alive weakly clawed at the tangle of her hair.

Stunned, Lily rolled and moaned, and then she moved by frantic instinct to scuttle on hands and knees out from under the iron shod hooves of the tortured stallion that was pawing the air above her.

When she was far enough away to escape braining, Lily scrubbed her hands through her bloody hair and shifted haltingly to her feet. Excruciating, burning waves of pain, sharp like needle-point knives, stabbed inside her brain; and with each searing wave of pain Lily cried out, unable to contain her anguish.

Lily clawed at her head, she ached all over. She could think yet only barely, but she reasoned enough to know that she must seek refuge from the horde of razor-teethed creatures. Spying a wooden water barrel, the maid stumbled in haste and sudden fear toward its protection.

The creatures were swarming.

Grasping the grooved handle with both hands, Lily lifted the heavy wooden lid from the tub. Wielding the lid like a shield, Lily came up on her toes to scramble into the drum. She slipped into the cool water and drew the lid down over her head, pulling tight to allow no crevice though which the creatures might reach her.

“Dear God, what is happening?” Lily cried. She was in water up to her nose and she had much to ponder, but the erstwhile tavern maid who was a long lost princess could not remember anything that had gone before.

This message was last edited by the player at 13:01, Mon 02 Feb 2009.

Guildmaster
 GM, 112 posts
Fri 6 Feb 2009
at 14:24
2. Aberhaven Masquerade
Tracing the surface of the glowing portal calmly, the figure began to chant... The white cloak that shrouded him or her started to whip about, tossed by a wind that came from an unknown source. The silvery white of the cloak started to glow in an almost heavenly light.

The chaos and mayhem continued all around the figure, and it like a force-shield was protecting this mysteriously cloaked and hooded figure from harm.

* * * * * *

Not once did the young acrobat cease in her screams. Even as Brax continued to bat away the creatures and protect her, her arms flailed about recklessly, and more than once, she managed to land a few blows on Brax. But the moment, Brax kicked her legs from under her, she felt to the floor hard and the shock of the impact quietened her.

As Brax rushed over to help the Korskhan, the girl's cries mellowed to a whimper as she curled into a fetal position.

With much effort, Brax managed to beat to death those pesky creatures that followed them in. And when the last of them died, it was then that they realized that they were the only ones in the hall of the Duke's mansion.

* * * * * *

"This way please," a guard said to Emeric as the rest stepped aside, clearing the path for Emeric.

Looking at the guards suspiciously, Emeric takes a step forward and immediately the guards fall in line behind him, eager to escort him away from the room. Just as the reach the exit of the room, a loud shriek is heard! Spinning on his heels, Emeric witnesses a swarm of abyssal creatures pour into the room via the open window!

* * * * * *

Tyr ducked quickly, narrowly missing the outstretched claw of a flying creature. Spinning on the ball of his feet swiftly, he slashed his blade across and sliced the poor creature into half.

His chest heaved with exhaustion and blinking the sweat from his eyes, he kept his senses about him, ever ready to take down more of those deadly creatures. But he knew that he could not hold this up forever, he was tiring and all about him, soldiers and wizards alike were falling to the horde. There were just too many of them.

* * * * * *

Safe in her barrel, Lily could hear the creatures screaming and clawing at her barrel from the outside. She shivered from the cold and squeezed her eyes shut, not daring move.

* * * * * *

The guards were quick to draw their weapons and soon enough they were fighting for their life. Emeric too wasn't spared for the creatures soon started clinging onto him and threatening to rip the life out of him.

Just then, the guard who had lead him to the room grabbed him roughly by the collar and shoved him outside. Yelling, "Go now!" as he turned back to fend off the creatures as well as hold back any of the guards who would stop Emeric.

* * * * * *

This message was last edited by the GM at 08:55, Thu 12 Feb 2009.

Emeric
 player, 36 posts
Wed 11 Feb 2009
at 19:43
Re: 2. Aberhaven Masquerade
Guildmaster:
"This way please," a guard said to Emeric as the rest stepped aside, clearing the path for Emeric.

Looking at the guards suspiciously, Emeric takes a step forward and immediately the guards fall in line behind him, eager to escort him away from the room. Just as the reach the exit of the room, a loud shriek is heard! Spinning on his heels, Emeric witnesses a swarm of abyssal creatures pour into the room via the open window!

The ruse had worked, and that had surprised even Emeric.  Perhaps there was something in his Fathers Voice after all.  He had begun to relax a little as they neared the door, and then all the Hells had broken loose.

Using a term that would have pleased his Uncle and Aunt, he muttered the words, "May the saints preserve us!" as the creatures enter the room and start to swarm towards the soldiers and himself.  It takes a few moments before Emeric can react properly, and he curses not having a weapon to hand.

quote:
* * * * * *
The guards were quick to draw their weapons and soon enough they were fighting for their life. Emeric too wasn't spared for the creatures soon started clinging onto him and threatening to rip the life out of him.

Just then, the guard who had lead him to the room grabbed him roughly by the collar and shoved him outside. Yelling, "Go now!" as he turned back to fend off the creatures as well as hold back any of the guards who would stop Emeric.


Emeric didn't need much encouragement at that point, and he quickly jumped forward to pull the door closed, knowing the guards would probably be to busy fighting for their lives to notice.  As the door finally shut, Emeric began to use his steely grip to squeeze the life out of his attackers one by one, even as they tried to do the same to him.  Years of practice with the bow had given him good hand strength, and that now played its part as he tried to clean himself whilst trying to move quickly away from the open window.  Not really knowing where he was going, Emeric just tried to keep away from the outer walls and windows of the mansion.
Guildmaster
 GM, 114 posts
Tue 17 Feb 2009
at 03:55
Re: 2. Aberhaven Masquerade
Using the window of opportunity the guard gave him, Emeric makes a bolt for the corridor. He runs blinding not really sure where he has to go but in his hands, he is clutching the items the guard had asked him to dispose of.

His mind is a blur and he doesn't stop to think through why he is running away like a wanted criminal when technically he is not. Tripping over an overturned side table, Emeric crashes to the ground and winces in pain.

As he pushes himself off the ground and onto his feet, his eyes widen in horror as he sees another bunch of flying imps found their way into the mansion through from the window at the end of the corridor. Darting into another hallway he is faced with a flight of stairs leading downstairs.

Without thinking, he dashes downstairs and immediately enters a large open hall. He sees two men in the middle with a few dead imps lying by their feet as well as a girl who's appears to be unconscious and bleeding from the face...

This message was last edited by the GM at 04:56, Tue 17 Feb 2009.

Emeric
 player, 37 posts
Tue 17 Feb 2009
at 09:19
Re: 2. Aberhaven Masquerade
Putting on the persona of the old man again wouldn't help him much, Emeric thought as he entered the room, and simply moved forward with hands open, saying, "More imps coming behind me.  You have weapons?", whilst trying to see more of the other occupants.  Stopping beside the fallen girl, he turns to face the door he had just entered.
Guildmaster
 GM, 118 posts
Thu 19 Feb 2009
at 02:34
Re: 2. Aberhaven Masquerade
Just as Emeric asked Brax and Yorgorov for weapons, the doors to the Mansion swung open widely and in poured a group of soldiers, wizards and a group of survivors!

"Hurry! Inside!" the soldiers yelled. Sure enough behind the entire group was a sizable bunch of pesky flying imps trailing them. Even as the soldiers and wizards loosed their arrows and spells, swung their blades, only those who were quick enough to take refuge within the walls of the mansion were saved.

"Seal the doors! Close the windows!" one of the commanded and immediately, tables, chairs, fallen beams were hacked and used to bar the doors. At this point Emeric felt the need to tell them that the group weren't entirely safe inside because there were imps chasing him earlier.

Upon hearing Emeric's warning, the soldiers rushed upstairs in an effort to secure the place. Meanwhile, those equipped with healing spells, potions and the knowledge to perform first aid began helping the others.

One priest approached the girl lying beside Brax and Yorgorov and started tending to her wounds. The commander grabbed a sword from a fallen soldier's hand and said to Emeric, "Take this, you made need it."

* * * * * *

Still in the midst of the madness outside, Tyr knew that he couldn't stay here for long. They would all die! They're falling like flies. The entire city will be soon be overrun...

Just then, one of the soldiers turned to him and said, "We're retreating! The city is falling! They've set up a perimeter outside! Come on, move!"

Heeding the order, Tyr made a mad dash towards the barricades set up on the outskirts of the mansion and after that, he could only hope for the best.

* * * * * *

The white robed figure, unscathed and untouched had finished chanting. The dark portal was now glowing a terrible red and orange, pulsating and humming with energy. Taking a deep breath, the figure took a step into the portal and disappeared from sight...